Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Mayflies in the home

Tags
mayfly
3K views 21 replies 11 participants last post by  GAT 
#1 ·
Brown Arthropod Wood Insect Finger
I found several of these tiny dancers on windowsills around the house--indoors. If I had to tie an imitation I'd use a size 24 or 26 hook.

See less See more
#4 ·
No. Zoom in. They had the classic "praying mayfly" pose.

C'mon now I may not be great at mayfly species ID but I can differentiate a mayfly from a cranefly and a termite. Both of those have wings that are horizontal over their backs. These were upright wings, vertical in orientation to their body plane.

#16 ·
If you were in Italy, I would've said, "Baetis rhodani!" Very common here, hatches all year round, more or less the same color and size as yours. It'd be interesting to see if Roger can pin down the species. Did you take other photos?

Kenneth
Yes but not sure they will help. I posted what I thought was the best one first. But here ya go: Insect Arthropod Gesture Finger Wood

Wood Gesture Finger Nail Thumb

#20 ·
Thanks, Taxon - I envy your huge wealth of knowledge. Being an old Montana boy, I'd tie on something gray that approximate size, lol. A large flight of Dragonflies fed voraciously on these yesterday. Dragons don't interest my current bird dog, but they would have flat worn-out my last Lab with their aerobatic maneuvers & sheer numbers. It's no small wonder that I rarely see a mosquito around here. I have no standing water in the yard but we did have rain yesterday - I have no clue from whence the critters originated, although there was a shuck near one.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.