NFR McGinn asks Seattle retailers for voluntary gun control

Discussion in 'Cast & Blast' started by Tool Fly, Aug 18, 2013.

1. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

The law allows business owners to trespass those not complying with rules. Discrimination covers all the state language listed groups or affiliations. Gun owners are not protected in this anti-discrimination legislation.

Post your signs. Lose my business.

2. gofish101

gofish101 Member

I with some hesitation will chime in on this. First an owner of a store is refusing the weapon into the store, if you do not wish to disarm than shop elsewhere and how one compares this to gay rights I'm lost. I have gone into banks all my life and never felt unsafe. Seattle people have very limited life experiences that's a stretch, they may have different values or beliefs but I doubt less live experiences. Every time gun issues come up it seems to bring out so much passion that reason, discussion and comprimise are out the window. Living in Canada it's a different way up here. The owners of stores are not saying don't carry the firearm, just don't bring the firearm in the store. How many of you allow total strangers in your homes with firearms? I realize I will probably get slammed but I just don't get all hoppla. What I have observed is every time someone tries to regulate it all hell breaks loose. But do all of you go everywhere with your weapons... church, your daughters or sons birth or baptism, weddings and thelist goes on? Help me understand? Be easy on me folks.

Dan Nelson likes this.
  3. Roper

Roper Idiot Savant

I'll give you my perspective on the subject. What blows my mind is that Mayor McDipshit encourages gun free zones while he's protected by those with guns. It's the "do as I say, not as I do" mentality of the political elite. These stickers will do nothing to protect anyone's safety. It's idiotic to think any criminal will obey a sticker if they don't obey laws. You can't legislate safety, nothing will stop some whacko bent on harming others, shy of effective self defense. It's all just feel good bullshit. McDipshit is doing all he can to get press coverage and votes.

The fact that people spend so much time, money, and effort on these useless acts is ridiculous. I really don't care what these store owners do, as I rarely go into Seattle anymore. Does anyone wonder why?

I carry my guns when I sport shoot, hunt, and have to go places I don't feel comfortable without one. Otherwise they're in my safe.

Was this easy enough...?

Jim Ficklin likes this.
  4. hikepat

hikepat Patrick

Do I carry everywhere I can including church and to the mail box I can, in fact yes I do. I have known too many people {2} attacked by dogs just walking to their mailbox.

To do otherwise would mean I would have to leave my gun either not in my direct control or locked in a good strong safe at home. With the gun not secure 100% either in my control or locked up, leaves my gun open to possible theft or otherwise letting the gun get into the hands of someone who should not have a gun such as a young child.

As a gun owner I feel that since I make the choice to carry on a daily basis, that a shop not allowing me to bring my legal gun into their place of business means I have to either have to leave my gun in my car where I run the risk of it being ripped off and maybe being used in a crime or me having to chose to not shop at that store. Because of our gun laws I quite going to bars years ago when I started to carry and I do not shop in stores that do not allow me to carry because I as a responsible gun owner must always protect my gun from getting into the wrong hands.

Now if a store decides that they do not wish me to carry a gun into their property that is likely their right I am not a lawer with full understanding of gun laws but it means they are losing business of me and others that have already been through a back ground check to insure that we are law abiding sane people. It also will not likely to stop someone who already is going into the store ready, to maybe commit a crime and may even attract a person who wants to committed a crime on a place or people with less ability to protect themselves. Lets face in crimals often look for easy marks which is why the elderly and women are so ofen the victims of a crime.

I also want to point out that many who live and work in Seattle are not anti gun and that I work in down town Seattle and one of the more common non work conversations at work is on the shooting sports. To often I hear those Seattle people are anti gun and I just want to point out that is not true and in fact from my experince the anti guns are few but are more vocal then maybe the pro gun people are.

5. constructeur

constructeur Active Member

McGinn doesn't always get around Seattle in an armed vehicle, he often rides his bike to work. We had 3 different projects on his route last year, and it was like having an extra inspector the entire time we were there...

6. freestoneangler

freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

In fact, show me one example of any of the anti-gun zealots who preach their horseshit while not surrounded by armed security... Bloomberg and Feinstein being the poster children, but the list is long and includes Dems, Pubs, and a slew of celebrities.

7. cuponoodle breakfast

cuponoodle breakfast la flama blanca

Yes.

8. Jim Ficklin

Jim Ficklin Genuine Montana Fossil

Ditto what Roper said. And yes, I carry everywhere that it is LEGAL to do so . . . my right, my decision, my choice. Business owners who post their establishments as "gun-free zones" are within their right to do so, but these establishments are also "me-free-zones" by default, and that would be another of my choices. If evil-doers, thugs, & criminals observed laws there wouldn't be murders, rapes, & robberies now, would there? Fortunately, I'm neither rich, famous, a political figure, or a member of America's self-perceived elite and thus have no armed security. So . . . I practice religiously & provide my own.

9. Alex MacDonald

Alex MacDonald Dr. of Doomology

Yes, I carry too. You may recall here in the U.S., it's a civil right to be able to have and carry "keep and Bear" is what our 2nd Amendment says specifically. Like voting, those of us who choose to exercise our civil right are doing just that: exercising a civil right. It bears repeating that the right to possess a firearm is NOT about duck hunting, but about being able to rein in an out-of-control government. Defense is actually secondary in the context of the Bill of Rights.

Philosophically, gun rights is no different from voting rights; both are civil rights enshrined in our constitution. Based on this thought, there is no difference between a poll tax and paying a fee for a firearm owner's identification card so you can have one, or a literacy test and a test to see if you know which end goes "bang". And don't give me the bullshit about "voting doesn't kill people, but guns do". If that were true, then it would give the lie to the chant of "Bush lied, thousands died". You can't have this both ways.

Based, as I said, on the argument that a civil right is a civil RIGHT, when the left tries to eliminate this from a group of people, I see them as being no different than the Klan after the civil war, albeit with different tactics. And I treat them the same way. We have a bunch of protections within our constitution that are there to prevent abuses by government, but it seems that most of these are thrown by the wayside when it comes to firearms. And yes, registration can indeed lead to confiscation-if you doubt that, just look at the "APPS" program initiated by California recently. Their attorney general decided to "merge" mental health data with their registration scheme, called their "dealer record of sale" data, which is kept by her office. If you ever took anti-depressant meds for example, the swat team shows up at your house unannounced and warrantless, and confiscates all your firearms, violating at least two provisions in our constitution.

The two problems I have with the idiot mayor of Seattle trying something stupid like this is that it's entirely hypocritical of him to do so, and if it actually worked, Chicago, Washington DC, and most of California would look entirely different than they do. Doing the same thing time after time and expecting different results is the definition of insanity. It's right up there with Vancouver (BC) deciding to "shun" gang bangers a few years ago. How'd that work out, by the way? Did they all just fall in line with proper behavior out of fear of social ostracism?

10. Alex MacDonald

Alex MacDonald Dr. of Doomology

and by the way, I carry into these insipid "gun-free" zones too. You don't see it, but it's there, and your right to not go around with your panties in a wad doesn't supercede my right to defend myself. All they can do is ask you to leave, and since nobody knows I'm carrying, that doesn't happen.

constructeur likes this.
  11. Gary Thompson

Gary Thompson dirty dog

"Concealed carry" = What other people can't see or know about can't hurt them. Just my .02

constructeur and Alex MacDonald like this.
  12. orangeradish

orangeradish 1/2 an Ira

Home Page:
    I don't let any strangers in my home, regardless of whether or not they are armed.

I'd like to thank you for jumping into this discussion. It shows that you are an open minded person.

I wear a seat belt everytime I am in a vehicle. Without fail. The odds of getting in an accident are incredibly slim. But wouldn't I be crazy for not buckling up anyway? I apply the same logic when I leave my house. There are dangerous people in the world. I won't rely on others to keep me and my family safe. That's why I carry.

Thanks again for jumping into this with an open mind.

Jason

Alex MacDonald likes this.
  13. zen leecher aka bill w

zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

Didn't McGinn take an oath of office where he swore to uphold the laws of the US and the state of Washington? Not subvert them.

speyfisher likes this.
  14. gofish101

gofish101 Member

I guess this is one of the differences with the way I think and some of you think. I don't go out thinking about the raping and pillaging going on in the city, or that it is unsafe or I need a firearm to protect against the government. Maybe in the middle east or Asia I would be inclined to carry a firearm or feel I need to... but I don't feel that way in Canada or do I feel that way visiting my friends to the south. In fact I feel very safe going out in the city and would think the chances of getting into an accident going to and from the city are higher than are violent acts against me are but I still drive. I liken this to all changes whether successful or not. If a change is proposed there great upheaval on both sides of the debate ie. seatbelt laws, drunk driving laws, gun registry laws. Some of these changes are great and some not so great and get changed back. The point is the success or failure is only determined by trying and success or failure is only an opinion of the person making it. Having said all that if you want to create a stir in Canada start talking about changes to medical services or Canada Pension Plan. Suggesting drastic changes to those are political suicide, gentle subtle changes maybe not. It's the differences between our country's but they are still the best to live in... in my opinion.

Darryl Pahl and orangeradish like this.
  15. Roper

Roper Idiot Savant

So, can I assume there is no corruption or hypocrisy in Canadian government...? Can I assume there is no crime in Canada? Can I assume that all Canadians feel safe and secure from any threats, except maybe a reduction in socialized medical care or CPP? And do you have a Constitution or Bill of Rights, or is everything provided for you by the benevolent government...?

Or maybe you all smoke a lot of BC Bud...:D

Alex MacDonald likes this.