Mesh/Collapsable stripping baskets

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Jake L, Jun 30, 2008.

1. Rackaholic

Rackaholic New Member

I agree, thats why I mentioned it, but not all campaigns use this, the "good stuff". Maybe if you could get a few guys who needed it to go in on a sheet together it would be worth it. I think a 4 x 8 sheet of it costs about $12-$15.

2. yellowlab

yellowlab Active Member

Home Page:
    Had to bring up this thread to show the benefits of a mesh stripping basket. Collapsible, lightweight, very packable. I made the ABS plastic inserts to fit inside the net with zip ties and can easily be removed to prevent line tangles. My HMH even has a nice travel pouch that can hold all the line tanglers and the basket, which is plenty high enough.

3. Randy Lindahl

Randy Lindahl Paintin' or Fishin'

Home Page:
    Good idea YellowLab, I have also tried a number of ways to keep the tangles away. After all the pains and the wild thought process, I 'm now going to purchase a hard plastic stripping basket.
    Randy

4. Tom Arroll

Tom Arroll Member

Hi,

I have one of the William Joseph mesh stripping baskets and have not been very happy with it. I will definitely try to add a rigid bottom with line separators as some you you have. Besides the line tangling issues the William Joseph basket is a little small in circumference for my stripping style. I have seen some other mesh baskets that are larger and shallower than what I have and would like to ty them out. I usual use my Orvis grey tub basket which I am happy with for the most part. I do tend to whack my fingers on the edge of the bucket when I am stripping fast. I also need to drill some holes because it fills with water whe I get hit by waves and get heavy. I now bring my rigid basket when I travel and put my reels and other items that want to protect from the bagage handlers.

Thomas

5. Stonefish

Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

Tom,
    Lossen the belt on your Orvis basket and let it hang lower on your waist and / or slightly to the side. That should eliminate the issue of striking the edge with your fingers while stripping.
    Brian

6. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

The foam with plastic fingers that I added to my WJ stripping basket floats up making yet another issue. No bottom and separators, issue. Diameter, issue. Bottom and separators, issue. I guess I will keep working on the bugs, or just give up and use my good old plastic kidney shaped laundry basket. I think the Willy J will be better on small water locations or when hiking just to keep my line collected, clean and not have to put it back on the reel every time I move from hole to hole on a smaller river or stream.

7. Ed Call

Rack, just read your post, great suggestion. I have one such sign (not political, but a meeting announcement sign) in my truck. Brilliant suggestion. I'll give that a shot.

8. Richard E

Richard E Active Member

You're coming around. It seems nearly everyone has to initially try a collapsible stripping basket, then eventually comes around to the hard basket.

9. Bruce Baker

Bruce Baker Active Member

Richard...do you have a preference between the Mangrove Hipshooter Stripping basket and the Orvis Durable Stripping basket?

Thanks

Bruce

10. Tom Arroll

Tom Arroll Member

Brian,

I have been experimenting with wearing my Orvis basket lower and it is an improvement but the issue is that it takes on more water from waves. I think that this can be mitigated by drilling some holes in the bottom or wearing platform shoes:D. Who out there is using hard stripping baskets with drain holes? I know some people like to have some water in their basket to reduce tangling so drain holes may not be preferred.

Thomas

11. Stonefish

Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

Tom,
    I've got holes in both my homemade and LL Bean hard baskets.
    Brian

12. Go Fish

Go Fish Language, its a virus

I've got holes in my basket
    (and my head).

13. s2ary

s2ary Member

Hey Guys,
    I'm new here and from the east coast.

The surf around here is rough and impossible to fish without a stripping basket. I have a few soft sided ones a few homemade jobs, and a few orvis baskets. One with holes one without.

Here's what I've learned the hard way.
    The soft types are a drag but better than nothing, so I always keep one behind the seat in the truck in case of emergencies.

Homemade jobs are OK, and I always think I can do it better for cheaper than the Orvis basket, but I can't. The big key in a homemade one is to be able to get the thing off one handed as you're rolling around in the surf.

Hard baskets with holes are great but you can wade deeper with one without holes because it will 'float' above the water. Even if you take a wave into the basket just tilt the front edge up to your chest and the water dumps out over your waders and your line stays in the basket.

Baskets without holes are best because,
    You can wade deeper because the basket floats like a boat on the water's surface.
    On hot days when the line gets a little sticky or starts to cut your finger tip, you can add an inch of water to the bottom of the basket decreasing line friction on your fingers and the rod guides.
    In a pinch you can flip the basket and trap air under it for a make do life preserver. I've seen a few guys get washed off the rocks and manage to do this.:rolleyes: I'd prefer to practice caution because the only time it happened to me the basket was like a 3 gallon sea anchor tied to my waist.

To me stripping baskets are a love hate relationship. Can't live with them and can't live without them. Also what I've found is that the cleaner the line the less tangles no matter what basket you use.

In a pinch or from a boat, a medium sized canvas boat bag works great. Put a little water in the bottom and the canvas swells a little and holds the water providing just enough resistance to keep a clean line from tangling.

Thanks,
    Geoff

14. Jake L

Jake L New Member

Great first post. Good choice to be sharing info for your first post. Lots of guys get torn up because they ask one of the Where, When, What, or How questions. Welcome to Washington, from a guy who just got here himself.

15. Ed Call

I have a homemade basket with loop separating pins and small holes in the bottom. It is boyant enough to float a bit, even as it takes a bit of water. It is superior to the William Joseph basket for sure, but the packability of the Willie J may have its place, but no on the beach, at least not on purpose. I have another larger diameter but shallower mesh basket with a firm lip and side supports that I have yet to try. I will add some line loop separating pins and try it out. I'm sure it will be better than the WJ, and will provide some benefits over the rigid laundry basket setup but will likely not be as ideal. The second mesh basket was a gift, either an outcast or some other, not sure. I'll try then decide.

S2ary, great detailed input on your trials of various baskets. Very analytical, do you examine your rods, lines and flies with the same scrutiny? I could see a gear review series coming from you with that level of detail.