Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Metal Detectors

680 views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  Jim F. 
#1 ·
Anyone on the forum also a treasure hunter? I'm in the market for a metal detector whose principal use will be for gold. We have a Bounty Hunter that my wife uses, but it's more tailored for general metal search. Not that it won't find gold, but its not well suited for finding smaller nuggets and particularly in iron rich soil.

The bit of research I've done has yielded the following units as the best VLF models (IP units are too much $$) for gold; Fisher Gold Bug II, Nokta FORS Gold, and Garrett ATX. I'd appreciate any information and suggestions on this. Thanks.

#3 ·
Well, we are indeed sitting amidst some of the largest Au strikes in the lower 48. We've always liked panning for gold and rock hounding in general... just fun stuff... no dredging up the creeks and rivers. With wintering in AZ on the itinerary, gold digging in the desert is a bit different. In addition to a detector made for gold, I'm looking for snake guards :eek:.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.