Methow Report

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Sageman, Sep 30, 2009.

1. Big Tuna

Big Tuna Member

Sounds like you're taking care of business:thumb:

That song is a classic.

2. luv2fly2

luv2fly2 Active Member

the problem is too many people in thei world! mike w

3. Brazda

Brazda Fly Fishing guide "The Bogy House" Lodge

Home Page:
    Maybe it's the fact that most anglers have paid over a grand for there spey set ups and they are damn well going to use them whenever they can, hell try catching the same amount of fish on the skagit in a few days fishing. Many books have also set a religiouse flavor to the swung steelhead, maybe that is to blame. Myself I belong to the "if you can't beat em join em attitude."
    The good thing is that it is nothing like steelheading in the 70-80's when you could see thirty or fourty anglers on a single hole on the Puyallup or Green rivers, not to many of you remember those days, shit it was like a row of fence posts every Saturday morning on some of those drifts.
    That is some of what brought about the much better fishing ethic's of today, I can honestly say that I experiance bad ethic's once or twice a season now and back then it was down right cutthroat.
    We have it good in comparison!
    At least everyone tries to be kind and realizes that the person you see fishing is looking for the same thing you are in the day, a day on the river with a feeling of anticipation, sometimes you get the reward and all those others you see are just friends at the party!

4. Sageman

Sageman Member

Definitely getting tougher now. With so many people on the river hitting the fish and the water being as low as it is, the fish are really getting put down. Decent morning bite if you are in a good hole, but about 10:00 they are getting tough. Plenty of fish in the river, you just need to really search to find the one that is sitting in a spot that hasn't been hit yet.

5. Rick Todd

Rick Todd Active Member

I too remember the 70's-80's as a gear fisher crowding into the Samish, Sauk or Skagit. It was WAY worse then. As long as we are part of an ever-increasing population, we will have crowds unless you can afford to get on a helicopter and get away from it all. I too find a lot of civility among anglers today, so it is not all bad! Rick

6. Sageman

Sageman Member

Last day was the toughest yet, but we still caught fish. Most of the fish were caught in places that probably don't get fished very much the last 2 days. The couple that were caught in holes were on things that I doubt nobody else (outside my immediate fishing circle) have in their box. Stuff that was working the first couple of days wasn't working quite as well the last 2 days. I actually talked to a few guys who had not landed a fish as of midday.

Back home for me. Leave the river to the weekenders, almost wish I could be a spectator.

Have to admit the etiquette was better the last couple of days. I think the crowd changed after the first 2 days, but maybe it is just the people I ran into. People were generally happy and cordial and most were catching a fish or two. Ironic thing is that I had all of my problems when the fishing was good and we were finding fish almost anywhere we looked.

Interesting event. My Dad had been pounding a hole while I worked all the pockets above and below the hole. I came back and wanted to nymph through the hole one last time using some non-traditional flies before we left the hole. My first cast I had a steelhead come up and grab my big orange indicator (happens fairly frequently this time of year and I even have a fly for it that I wasn't using). The crazy thing is he rolled on the indicator when he took it and rolled himself up in the line. I played him for about 5 minutes trying to get the line to come unwrapped, but it was like having him snagged in the dorsal fin and he finally broke off my entire setup when he got below the hole into the fast water. I got him close enough at one point to see that he didn't have either fly in him.

7. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Home Page:
    iagree

I'm too young to have experienced "the good ol days," but from talking to quite a few people who have, it doesn't sound like they were nearly as good as everyone seems to remember. Either way, I still have yet to have a day on the water ruined by combat fishing. If I go knowing what to expect, then I'm just another guy out there looking for an excuse to be outside, doing something I love.

As far as the Methow, I've been fishing it since I was a kid because my dad's side of the family is from the valley. And in all my times fishing it, I still have yet to experience overcrowding or atrocious river etiquette. I'm sure it happens, but maybe I've just been lucky.

You will find me shamelessly nymphing it with my single hand rod in the coming month.

8. Sageman

Sageman Member

Your nymphing comment reminded me of when a couple of guys came into our small hole while we were fishing it a couple of days ago. We were nymphing and they were swinging flies. Not only did they come in and crowd our hole, but he was making comments about my nymphing and how it doesn't work to nymph and swing at the same time. So what, he comes into our hole and then expects us to change our technique to suit him?! As I posted earlier, we just went and sat on the bank until they were done working through the hole and then went back to nymphing.

9. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Home Page:
    haha... wow. i haven't experienced that kind of thing on the river, but i've definitely had quite a few "more elite" fishermen than i turn their noses up when i say nymphing suits me just fine. don't get me wrong, i love swinging. i just have yet to land a steelface via swinging methods. had a few nice bycatches though

10. Brazda

Home Page:
    Being a lover of all methods, he is right when he said that the two don't mix well, BUT that does not give an angler the right to crowd you out, that is a combat world technique. Next time remind them that he could just come down and ASK if you minded them fishing through, I have done that on many rivers and it is polite, however the holder of the hole does not allways give it up right away.
    I assume (not good to do so,, but) he was useing an uwritten law by swing fishermen that you step through and finish out the hole and then return to the top, this comes form the old days of combat swing fishing on the North Umqua. It is a way of fishing many anglers on stacked fish, it will let every one know who's got there shit RIGHT as there rod's will be bent with others standing around shuffling through!!!

Oh by the way, F*^# his comments it your choice! If he really was a great angler he could catch nearly the same W/O the bobber.

11. HauntedByWaters

HauntedByWaters Active Member

The ironic thing is that if you were standing in one place fishing with a spinning rod/jig/float, the purist swingers wouldn't give a crap about what you are doing and probably just find other water.

Kinda weird no? ;)

12. Brazda

Home Page:
    Is that some kind of FRENCH.

This spey angler would not give a crap either way, just ask WTF can I fish through? or figure they got it covered and move on, simple.
    I have found that everyone has there style of angling and some of each has an atitude about the others, if a guy is nymphing he is probably closer to trying the swing (than the JIG dude) and ironically will be better at it than a swinger would be at going to nymphing. Personally I think you need to be good at all methods of fly fishing and I preach that daily, I also commend those that stick to there gun's, because it is all about having a good time and fullfilling accomplishments. Going off track here---
    I have a great story about a client that once said he will slit his wrists if he has to fish with an indicator, his buddy chimed in and said I'll fish with one. As you know on the move is great nymphing. That guy was begging for a nymph rod by 10:30, I made him suffer for a couple hours,(did not want blood in my boat) eating his words, he had his best day EVER in the last three hours, even got one on a dry with his spray pole. Normally, I would not deny an angler anything but this guy was full of OPINIONS!

13. HauntedByWaters

HauntedByWaters Active Member

Brazda, I wasn't even trying to imply anything. I just think it is weird that people who gear fish with a fly rod call it fly fishing. :D

They almost act like it is purer to catch fish on fly tackle with any means necessary as long as it doesn't mean grabbing a gear rod.

Almost seems kind of elitist. Like they want to be able to walk and talk like a fly fisherman and would never ever use one of those lower class type of fishing rods.

Funny how elitist those nymphers can be. :p

I am seriously only kidding. It can be hard to tell over the internet sometimes. But I think these arguments always get blown way out of proportion. I fish with guys all the time who run indicators and eggs and I give them shit for it too. The friendly kind of shit! :)

I will admit, I am one of those types who stick to their own guns as you say. That doesn't mean that I am so stubborn that I would pass up the chance to hold a steelhead just because I was unwilling to go to the dark side.

I just have to tease the people who see the swingers as snobby purists because, like all things worth bitching about, it is a two way street.

14. Runejl

Runejl Josh

The Methow doesnt have fish in it! Ha Ha.

Why would you waste your time?

15. Ringlee

Ringlee Doesn't care how you fish Moderator

The river would be twice as crowded if people stopped driving their heavy duty dodges with spey rods on the front around all day! Keep driving because every time you drove by I hooked a fish!:thumb: