Methow River to close Sept. 18 to all fishing

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Freestone, Sep 17, 2008.

1. Freestone

Freestone Not to be confused with freestoneangler

Josh, I was headed up there too this weekend so while I'm disappointed for me, I'm happy for the steelhead. However, there are plenty of other places to fish in the Winthrop area. I may still head up there or go somewhere else but in any case, I'll be fishing this weekend just not on the Methow.

2. HauntedByWaters

HauntedByWaters Active Member

I know nobody called a witch hunt. It was over the top tongue in cheek humor because I got a wiff of where this thread was headed.

I just get tired of anglers blaiming everyone else (like Dickson) but themselves.

IMO, if you all really want to split hairs, point fingers, insult other fishermen, and act holier than thou about steelhead, you shouldn't be fishing in any river that has them period.

3. Methow

Methow Active Member

4. Panhandle

Panhandle Active Member

Look at the bright side of this whole thing, people. There are a lot of steelhead in the system this year.The Methow will be open in a few weeks for steelhead fishing, and WDFW did the right thing. :beer2:

5. alpinetrout

alpinetrout Banned or Parked

Legal? No
    Ethical? Nope

An easy way to drum up some visitors to your website, a few of which might convert into new clients? Seem to be the case. Every six months or so you can count on something controversial from that report page, whether its unlicensed guiding in off-limits areas or stealing photos and playing them off as your own, so I have a hard time believing it's unintentional.

6. Runejl

Runejl Josh

Jason I think I agree with you about what you are trying to say, we are all responseable. But... I think that if anyone posted a report on this page about how they were targeting steelhead on closed waters that they would be tore a new one. I have also read your posts about frustrations with people that dont follow the rules, so I guess I dont really know why we should treat a guide any differently.

7. Josh

Josh dead in the water

I've never met Dickson though I have heard he's a nice guy in person.

However, there always seems to be some shit going on with his website. And where there is enough smoke, you are likely to find fire. That kind of junk tires me out. Low class.

But yes, obviously stuff like this is everyone's problem. But anyone who is stupid enough to publicly claim that they are going after fish they shouldn't be targeting deserves all the crap they get.

8. luv2fly2

luv2fly2 Active Member

maybe they should not allow guiding? i did not know the river was open to steelhead? or is it supposed to be closed? maybe they should open it on tues., wed., and thurs. and not every day? mike w

9. alpinetrout

alpinetrout Banned or Parked

It's a bit more complicated than that...

10. Charles Sullivan

Charles Sullivan dreaming through the come down

Home Page:
    First and foremost, I want to say to Mr. Root, "I feel your pain". To everyone who has been targetting Steelhead over there and has cost Josh a chance at some outside fun, I hate all of you! It is extremely important that Mr. Root (along with all other new dads) be able to enjoy the outdoors and you have ruined it.

I also noticed the reference to skating caddis on the guide's site. Let's remember here, that a guide is getting paid. I think that if you are licensed and make your living of a resource owned by the state (everyone) then you gotta follw the rules. To advertise fishing for steelhead in waters closed for them is either balsy or stupid. I am not sure which.

Wake tonight,
    cds

11. headstrong1

headstrong1 youngish old guy

Home Page:
    That guide's post pissed me off too. Flagrant disregard by a so-called "biologist" and "conservationist". That post alone probably sent at least 500 sheep straight out of Bellevue straight over here to chase steelhead illegally. I took him off my bookmarks and out of my monday morning ritual.

12. Josh

Josh dead in the water

Probably both.

13. luv2fly2

luv2fly2 Active Member

okay, i have reread all the posts and i kinda got the drift. could someone pm me the name of the guide in question. i hope the methow does open later this year. to bad there is a system that limits the number of fishers on the river. mike w

14. Chris Bellows

Chris Bellows Your Preferred WFF Poster

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

wdfw going after illegal guiding

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

15. Runejl

Runejl Josh