Methow Steelhead

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by Caddis Skater, Oct 10, 2007.

1. 05tacoma

05tacoma Member

Methow, thanks for being willing to share some info. Caddis, sorry you got the initial response that you received.

2. Panhandle

Panhandle Active Member

I call it as I see. If that makes me an asshole, then I'm an asshole. Some people appreciate getting straight shooter answers instead of getting coddled.:hmmm: Having said that...I'm sure I'm near the top of the 'ass hole list.' If I could only post here what some people PM me:p

By the way, my buddies hooked 17 and landed 8. Who cares???? By the time you get here, because you're chasing a steelhead report, the river will be blown out, or the fish won't be playing.

3. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Home Page:
    i dunno, i agree with your response. sometimes tough love is the best kind. personally, i consider myself probably one of the least knowledgeable/helpful people that post regularly. being that i'm aware of that, i spend more time out being persistent in trying to get into fish rather than sitting on the interwebs looking for a freebie. if i want to ask anything, i usually head to my fly shop of choice and spend a few bucks in their shop in return.

to me, fishing has always been less about catching fish, and more about the rewards of finding them myself.

4. obiwankanobi

obiwankanobi Active Member

I will have to agree 100% with Pan on this, only because steelheading is never a numbers game. You can fish a hole and your friend can walk right through the same hole and catch that one fish that was sitting there that never glanced at your fly.:confused:

When the pink thread was posted, I got many pm's on what,when,where I was catching these fish and never one thank you from anyone of them that were (new to the board). Pretty soon I was giving many asshole responses.

I rarely rely on fishing reports as I am more focused on flows and fish count numbers, since after that it is up to the "angler" in all of us to bring one to hand.

5. Methow

Methow Active Member

05, no problem always willing to help those that ask.

6. ex nihilo

ex nihilo Stage 3

I'm pretty sure I'm on your 'asshole' list...but I'm not an asshole.

I think there was a major miscommunication (on my part), which can get exacerbated in these kinds of formats (email, IM, forums, etc.). But in my defense, it's not cool to tell someone to f-off for all the forum to see, maybe it's better to send a PM concerning the issue...like 'dude you're WAY out of line here what's the problem??'

Sorry if I pissed anyone else off...anyway, I'll be on the Methow this weekend in a red hat if anyone wants to kick my ass (but I'm 6'2" 235). Just kidding...

Andrew

7. Andrew, I can't remember what you said, but i think you offended me and two friends and I said I have this one, then I think I told you to f' off. True. and My apologies.

8. bankwalker

bankwalker Member

yea may be true...

but when you only get a day a month to fish, maybe a couple days to fish. and you want to make the most of those you will want to fish the river/water that will have the greatest chance of producing.
    i would hate to drive 4 hours to fish a river that has been beat to death and the fish are off the bite, just cuase i like to fish that river.
    when i can drive an hour to a river with not so many people and have a better chance to catch a fish.

now then someone could say they are killing fish on the methow and i can drive there and not catch shiat, and someone else could say they are not catching crap on a local river and i go there and kill'em.
    thats what fishing is all about.
    BUT! some people would like to know how the past few days has been producing to deside which river they would like to fish for their one day off. that is the reason for asking reports.

a report does not have to say exactly what hole, fly/bait, and how many fish. all you need is a yes there are fish being caught, and its worth a shot.

when someone asks for a simple report and they get an asshole comment in return, that right there is what give fly fisherman a bad name.

to be quite honest i never really got what people meant by comments like that about fly fisherman. but i have been fly fishing now for a year and i can see exactly what people mean when they say that.

i have talked to quite a few guys on the river and local fly shops and man some people have real sticks up their asses.

go fishing and have fun. but save a couple fish for me. tahts all i ask :) :beer2:

9. Tim Garton

Tim Garton Member

Being a relatively new guy too, I don't think just asking if the fish are biting and if it's busy is too much to ask, specially if it's a long drive. Now, if he asked you for the GPS coordinates of the holes you hooked up on, location of the keys in your car, whether your wife was home alone and in what room the wall safe was then, yeah, that could be construed as assholish. I pretty much draw the line at that point. Pretty much.

10. 05tacoma

05tacoma Member

Maybe I'm "ruining" it for others, but anytime somebody wants to know about where I fish, what techniques I use, a report, etc. etc. I'm more than willing to share that info. The only time I don't share a location (except with close friends) is if it is a little creek that may not be able to handle tons of pressure. But, realistically... if I found it so have hundreds of others.

11. Matt Paluch

Matt Paluch Active Member

Home Page:
    What would Jesus do when asked for a report?

You're not giving away secret holes to bait fishermen... just a tiny bit of info on an ENTIRE RIVER.

12. bankwalker

bankwalker Member

thats how i feel. i am always willing to give a report. and im always willing to help fellow anglers out when they need a hand.

i know im never the first to fish a hole and i know im not gonna be the last.

13. Caddis Skater

Caddis Skater Member

Thanks too all the replies guys, I really appreciate it. I did not mean to stir
    this board up, that was not my intention.
    I understand that fishing is fishing and there are no guarantees, nor would
    I want there to be, that is what makes fishing so fun! I have caught many
    Steelhead on the Methow and I am sure alot of people on this board have done
    the same, It is a great river by anybodys standards so I will take the trek up
    early friday morning and will have a report for anyone who wishes when I get back.
    Thanks again to everone. :beer2:

:cool:

14. bankwalker

bankwalker Member

im gonna head over there friday morning early. gonna fish friday then hunt saturday morning and fish the afternoon then hunt the evening.

15. Good luck Caddis, I would like you to pm me when you get back and let me know how you did. As to you stirring you stirring up the bottom here, it's really like this all the time. It's wrose in the winter when the rivers are blown.
    I remember when I started fly fishing and i'd ask a guy on the river how they did and what they where using, not only would they tell me how, where and what they where using, but they would often (get this) give me flies. I don't know why people would do that, but I've done it since then as it was done to me. In fact in happened to me in the OP a couple of months ago. I ran into some guide I wanted to hire, but he couldn't take me that day, (Jim Kerr), and he told me exactly what river to hit, where on the river and then dialed me in with about 5 flies, then went through my fly boxes and showed me what to use. Thanks to him and his help I caught 2 steelhead. Being nice to other is not hard, not in my opinion. Caddis there ar others on this board that are jsut as helpful, so don't bolt.
    again, good luck this weekend.
    F.