MF Snoqualmie Report

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by kbromer, Aug 4, 2008.

1. Xander

Xander Member

So CoastalCutt,

What are you doing differently to catch those lunkers?

2. troutingham

troutingham Member

I have landed a 20" inch trout, twice, same spot same time of year with the same fly . The second time I caught it was killed, not intentionally and not by me but by a gear fishermans 2 ot hook and 10lb line. When I beached it was bleeding profusely out of the anus with a 1 oz banana weight hanging from the line. I brought to patricks fly shop and had it measured 20 maybe 21, then I took it into the wsdof office where I made a complaint about kids snorkeling and harpooning fish. Game warden put a bulletproof vest on me and we headed up to North Bend together and busted them. He gave me the harpoon, I still have it but what I really want is the picture of that fish which was stolen out of the car weeks later at the spot I park on the S fork. It was gorgeous mature with beautiful brown coloration and bright red cheeks and very pronounce hooked nose and Jaw like spawning colors. Same spot, same time of year, same fly, same fish. I'll never forget how misplaced this grandaddy fish looked in that tiny clear stream.

3. Jim Speaker

Jim Speaker Active Member

Home Page:
    Hm... seems that I need to expand my range on the forks. Had no idea there were sizable fish in there. Thanks for sharing :D Big fish or not, however, what a beautiful place to fish.

4. Richard Olmstead

Richard Olmstead BigDog

It sounds like he knows where they are, for one!
    D

5. James St. Clair

James St. Clair stclairj

Kent-

I have a ton of pictures from numerous backpacking trips to Sunday Lake where the majority of fish we caught were rainbows. Unfortunately they are on film, so I will try and have to scan them in and send them to you. I am 106% positive that these fish are rainbows, and have also caught coastal cutthroat there as well. However, the majority were always rainbows. One factor that makes me confident is many of these fish were over 14", without parr marks, and well developed, making their ID a little more cut and dry.

I too used to fish in the creek on the way up to the lake before I learned it was closed (oops, tsk tsk on me, luckily always CNR). I would say it was 50/50 rainbows cutts. After spending a few seasons ID'ing fish in streams around the cascades for WDFW I am pretty confident in my claims. Especially when they are backed up by genetic data released in reports...

I understand that Coastal cutts and Rainbows hybridize pretty easy and are difficult to tell apart just by a quick view, however, I am very confident that there are rainbows from previous stockings that have become naturally reproducing in the NF. Not trying to make a big deal out of this here, but I have to defend myself a little...

James:beer2:

6. Jim Speaker

Jim Speaker Active Member

Home Page:
    Just gotta say, I dig this thread. There's always something to learn about the Sno Forks, or any other drainage for that matter. I remember back in the day on the old list-serv I posted something about a brookie on the S Fork that turned into a debate about whether it was really a bull trout or not. It made me dig a little to ensure I know my shit with regard to the differences, and as it turns out was in fact a brookie. Anyway, great thread, the forks are awesome.
    :beer2: :beer1: ptyd

7. Kent Lufkin

Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

Hi James,

Sorry if my earlier post might have come across as attacking your statements - that was certainly not my intention.

The reason I'm so sure about Sunday Lake is that some of my fellow HiLakers regularly survey the lake for WDFW and also I know some of the Trailblazers who stock the lake. They all confirm that it's been dosed with coastal cutts for over a decade. Here's a part of a 2005 email from one of my HiLaker friends regarding adjustments to the plant rate:

"As a result of a number of recent surveys reporting that Sunday Lake is a bit overpopulated, the planting rate has been reduced from 400 to 200 TCCT a year, effective this months plant. [The WDFW fish bio] considers if very important that we monitor the lake. If natural reproduction shows itself to be adequate, we will reduce the planting rate again. The goal is to increase the size and condition of the fish."​

I'll inquire to see if actual stocking reports might be available.

K

8. James St. Clair

James St. Clair stclairj

No problem Kent...I am honestly confused as I am looking at the pictures right now all of which are obvious rainbows. One possibility is that the years I was fishing the lake were 1995-1998. Maybe it is possible that the lake was stocked before a decade ago with rainbows, or that they were introduced some other way. I am absolutely positive these fish are rainbows, and I will attempt to scan them in tonight to send you some pics.

Anyways, no hard feelings. Like I said previously I actually really enjoyed this thread, hearing other peoples opinions about the forks of the Snoqualmie. I wish I still lived on the westside so we could head up there and compare fish ID's. I am positive I have caught at least one rainbow in almost every section of each fork....who knows, maybe we/I never will. Anyways, tight lines, head up there and catch a bunch for me next time you get a chance.

James:beer2:

9. Xander

Xander Member

iagree This is a cool thread and there is a lot of history as well as recent info on this river system that is so close and so dear to many of us ;) . I was thinking though that maybe the Title of thread should be changed since we have diverged so much from a simple, standard report to a bit of living history. Thoughts? Anyway, thanks to all for their killer insights and stimulating dialogue. :beer2:

10. kbromer

kbromer New Member

indeed, this has been a fantastic read. I've never felt so inspirational in my life ;)

11. troutingham

troutingham Member

I would think the main stem above the falls is the place to go for the realy realy big ones. I think just that slight fluctuation in gradient and temperature would make all difference in food source and growth and then realize these fish travel up the forks to spawn. It's a great surprise to catch one and rare. Great streams, take care of them.

12. CoastalCutt

CoastalCutt Member

Awfully large dries like size 10 stimulators and the like always account for my bigger forks fish, and I usually like to fish the holes that I have found to contain these bigger trout right after a snorkel.

13. Richard Olmstead

Richard Olmstead BigDog

and now the real reason for doing those snorkel surveys!

14. Xander

Xander Member

I see how it is... use a fly that's too big for the dinks to get there mouth's around!! :rofl:

15. Kent Lufkin

Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

Xander, you've done a better job of squeezing out secrets from this crowd than anybody I can remember. We're gonna have to track you down and kill you now.

Just kidding of course :rofl:

K