Mid-January Luck??

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by daveypetey, Jan 18, 2013.

1. Richard Torres

Richard Torres Active Member

Based from my experience too with East side SRC's Steve is right.

In addition, read up what Preston posted earlier.

Even better, do a search on Preston's or Les Johnson's previous posts, as those are GOLD.

2. SaltyCutt

SaltyCutt Beach Bum

Since he was fishing with Jeff Delia, I'm sure it is a Delia's Squid, basically a gold cone head, pearl chenille body and tan marabou tail. It's a very simple, but effective pattern. Roger and I both hooked up with rezzies fishing Delia's Squid on Thursday.

Kylesw, I sent you a PM.

3. Annie Rutherford

Annie Rutherford Washington Native

Thanks Steve, am gearing up to tie a few for next weekend. what size hook do you guys tie on?

4. Roger Stephens

Roger Stephens Active Member

I usually tie the Delia conehead squid as a tube fly pattern. Therefore I use a Gamakatsu SC-15 #4 hook. If I tie them on a shank hook, I'll use a TIEMCO 9394 # 8 hook.

On Thurs. it was a "cat and mouse game" that the resident coho usually won. However, if Steve or I were able to cast a Delia conehead squid pattern near them, they would really slam it. Over the last month or two the resident coho have liked an olive/white or chartreuse/white clouser minnow pattern but last week they did not like those patterns. I switched to the Delia conehead squid pattern and immediately started hooking resident coho. The pattern is becoming one of my go to patterns. In the summer I use a floating version of the Delia conehead squid pattern and have had outstanding topwater success with it for sea-run cutthroat.

Roger

5. Roger Stephens

Roger Stephens Active Member

6. Annie Rutherford

Annie Rutherford Washington Native

Well i got a few fly's tied up during the game. Some of these are a little weird, but you never know if you don't try.
    [​IMG]

TD likes this.