Swap Mini Marathon Trout swap (2014)

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by riseform, Dec 22, 2013.

1. Teenage Entomologist

Teenage Entomologist Gotta love the pteronarcys.

Just sent my flies. These two are simple, yet very productive patterns that are very famous here in California and Southern Oregon.

2. Ron McNeal

Ron McNeal Life's good!

My Rolled Muddler Variants will be on your doorstep tomorrow. I'm running down to Cabela's and will drop 'em off on the way.

These Muddlers look pretty ratty, but they seem to work pretty well at certain times (like most flies...).

Once, on Cady, the fishing was pretty slow; there were maybe 8-10 people on the lake and there wasn't a whole bunch of whooping, hollering or splashing. I was directly across from the launch, in that bay, and kept seeing some respectable-looking fish just cruising around near the top, laughing at us. So I thought something different might piss 'em off and I tied on a Rolled Muddler and threw it out at one of the passing snots and, BAM! Worked on three or four more as I remember, then it was back to being laughed at.

Plop 'em in the film on a floater and twitch just enough to make some small circles. Dave Whitlock calls it "puppeteering".
    I like that word...

3. riseform

riseform Active Member

Thanks Ron, looking forward to them. I'm afraid we are still living in remodeling hell so watch your step.

Jerry and TE your flies made it, thank you and nice job.

TE, please try to remember a return envelope next time, and consider a container size that will accommodate anticipated return flies. Some of these streamers are heavy and large. I love ya, but I'd prefer avoiding the hassle of providing an appropriately sized tin and envelope to get your flies back.

4. Teenage Entomologist

Sorry, I'll put an envelope in for the next swap. I also have some large containers I'll use for April's swap, since we're going for the big guys.

5. riseform

riseform Active Member

Ron, those are beautiful.

Well done everyone, that's everyone but sean k and his are coming from Germany! Hopefully they'll arrive tomorrow or Saturday. Once in, I'll get them photographed and back at you ASAP.

6. Teenage Entomologist

Heading to the Pit River on Saturday and Sunday, and I'm going to try out some your guys's patterns( hopefully they'll catch some good ones:))

Ron McNeal likes this.
  7. Teenage Entomologist

Just came back from the Pit. 1st fish I caught was about 18-19 inch Rainbow caught below Pit 3 Powerhouse where the water flowed into the reservoir. Next two fish I caught were right below Pit 4 dam. All we're caught on Panther Martins, because they wouldn't take any nymphs whatsoever. Will upload the picture of the big one when I get it from my uncle. Here's the 2nd two.
    image.jpg
    image.jpg

He got a little dirty, but he was pretty big, broke my line as it hit the shore and bent the hook. He was released to be caught again. image.jpg

8. riseform

riseform Active Member

Nice fish TE

Still waiting for the last batch from Germany to arrive and if everyone is ok I'll give it some more time. Also waiting for Chris to get a new gallery subtitle set up so I can post your pictures. Nice job everyone, I'll notify you when I post and mail, hopefully soon.

9. Ron McNeal

Ron McNeal Life's good!

I'm fine with waiting.

10. riseform

riseform Active Member

You guys are not forgotten. Still waiting on Chris to open a new gallery and the last (special circumstances) package to arrive from Germany. It was sent well in advance and should hopefully arrive very soon.

If anyone is getting antsy let me know and I'll send your flies any time. Otherwise I'm going to assume you're all ok with giving it some more time.

11. Teenage Entomologist

Just fine with waiting. I have some "clients" that I have to tie for, so Saturday will be known as Golden Stone Nymph day, at least for me:) Need to tie some Copper Johns......

12. sean_k

sean_k Active Member

Hey guys sorry for the hold up on my flys. I mail the package out a few weeks ago and tonight USPS updated the tracking, showing my flys are at least state side and will arrive shortly.

13. TD

TD Active Member

No worries Sean.

14. Eric Denny

Eric Denny Summer is over but I'm still fishing!!

I really hate I missed this don't know if at the time I was good enough at tying to give this a run but I differently want to get in on the next one the pics are amazing!! And after the swap I just did I feel like I can hang!! So riseform if you do another one count me in!!!

15. riseform

riseform Active Member

Since I'm not getting any love from Chris with a gallery heading or USPS with Sean's flies and we're at the 12th of March, I figure I better start teasing everyone with an intermittent trickle of streamer pictures to keep you inspired.

Let's start with Ron's Rolled Muddler Variant.
    [​IMG]