Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Minter Creek Reports

12K views 65 replies 25 participants last post by  Zack Dudley 
#1 ·
Lets break up the long thread into specific reports on each area. Any Minter Creek Reports?

#31 ·
Park at the hatchery, work your way down as far as you are willing to go, low tide, don't get stuck down low when it comes in, watch out for the mud, very slippery in places with a tendency to suck your shoes right off if not careful, also watch out for the snaggers they tend to get very touchy about their behavior, this is not a place for the faint of heart or people who are easily offended by the total mistreatment of fish.
tony

#34 ·
I was down in Gig harbor yesterday doing some house hunting and visiting relatives. I drove by Minter and did some browsing from the bridge around low tide. Saw a few snagged fish with the anglers woo-hooing about the fight. It wasn't too crowded, not by AK standards, but not my idea of a good time. I also never had a problem with property owners when I fish down there.
Tight lines

#35 ·
Well, out of curiosity just took a look at Minter. Gotta say that's some shady looking group out there. A few guys were immediately suspicious when I drove up, acting like I was DFW and trying to cover up their catch. Lotsa other folk looked as though they just got parolled. Probably about 30-40 vehicles out there, guys almost bumping into each other on the creek. Maybe it was the time of day or it being the weekend, but I sure wasn't impressed. :hmmm:

#36 ·
I dropped by there today. Lots of nasty fish with guys yelling CROMER. I did have fun watching two snaggers at different times fall into the river/creek up to their necks. Oh karma is there nothing you can't fix. After the carnage I dropped by Docs. Pretty slow.

#38 ·
Did okay but not great the last few days. Actually got a beautiful pure chrome 9lb Coho on an egg sucking leech ( released). That was kinda unexpected! Also landed about 6 fair hooked chum in the last 3 days. Still not many biters but every now and then one will turn to the fly. Just can't seem to get it dialed in. I think when the crowds die down they might get a little more aggressive. There are still bright chum moving in but not in quite the numbers from last week.

#42 ·
Well, I'm no math major, but 30 chum in 3 hours would be:
10 Chum per hour or-
1 Chum every 6 minutes.

So in the six minute span he would have cast, play, land and release each fish, for three hours straight. Not to mention occasionally tying on a new fly since surely one fly wouldn't stand up to the abuse of those canine like teeth.

So...um...yes...entirely possible. You should believe everything you hear. :rofl:

#43 ·
Well today was awesome, just as good as black friday. There were fewer fish but still had a ton of fun. I probably landed at least 40 probably more. Even picked out about 5 chromers but only kept one. The bummer of the day was having my 7 weight snap in half on a fish. It broke below the ferrel bawling: It was a 7/8 weight st croix and absolute beautiful rod. I have had it for 6 year now, but oh well hopefully i can get it replaced. All in all it was great just me and my buddy all day long in solitude. I dont even want to know how many we hooked and lost haha. We had many many doubles and crazy chinese fire drills. It was a good trip once again.

Attachments

#48 ·
I'd hit it up but I have no chum flies (just kidding Zach M).
One chum every six minutes...BS flag!
40+ chum in one outing...possible BS flag or STUD to be able to handle that kind of fishing pressure. I've caught 12-15 a few times, pretty long outings, pretty long fights, pretty sore everywhere the next day, two or three.

Sounds like some awesome numbers though, even if they are being streeeetched a bit.

#53 ·
Zach M, thirty...in a week, in an hour, in a day? I'm sure that some people can really haul in fish in a flash, but I think someone's math calculated it out to a fish landed every six minutes. I vote that chum are better battlers than that. If I'm wrong then that dude is a stud or left freaking exhausted. Were you tired after thrity? I got into about 15 or so once on the D-something. Lost plenty too. Left whipped. Always eager to return for another crack at a day like that.

#55 ·
Is that why under your name is the key to this: "Because I floss so hard" Give those Chum a break... they have enough pressure from the commercials, natives and the melee. Sounds like alot of penis envy with the big numbers. Who cares??!?! If you want to see something thoroughly disgusting, go to the Quilcene on high Coho season. I witnessed a native bank over 40 Coho from the river, he'd be pulling them in backwards and bonking them left and right. WHY???!!! Because of his right to do so, or really subsistance fishing.

#57 ·
the "because i floss so hard" is actually from a rap song by the cool kids which has nothing to do with fishing at all. it basically means im 16 and like music. and personally i freaking hate minter so what your saying has no relevance to me. i only fish minter if im on my way home and its to wet to skate or i have no plans that day. no penis envy here just stating a simple fact that i caught 30 fish. have fun catching 3 ill stick with 30 i guess:thumb:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.