Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Minter Creek Reports

12K views 65 replies 25 participants last post by  Zack Dudley 
#1 ·
Lets break up the long thread into specific reports on each area. Any Minter Creek Reports?

#15 ·
Fished Minter yesterday from noon to dark. Not yet many fish. Not much action (high tide was in the middle of the day) until just before dark then there was quite a few pods moving in. I had one on for a few minutes and hooked a couple of more but there just weren't many biters in this lot. I was trying to float over the top of the incoming fish. Don't think it will get good for a couple of more weeks. Oh yeah there was probably 50 people there most of which were right next to the hatchery.

#18 ·
I wouldn't give up on the chum yet, the runs are just getting going and don't usually peak in the area till later this month/ early December, most of the small streams around there will be getting some sort of run. Giving up on snagfest fisheries like chico and minter though I can understand...

#19 ·
I went today and was the first and only one there, for a while at least. It was nice and got a few to turn to the fly with a few fish landed, until the idiots rolled in and started swearing and trying to hit one another in their cars in front of a few families with small children. Oh natural selection is not fast enough sometimes. What is it about meatheads that they yell all the time and never really do anything. I know I will not bring my daughter to a crazy place like Minter to learn fishing ethics. I tried to get down away from the crowds and went down near the mouth. Anyway after that the tide dropped and there were very few fish and mud quicksand flats. Nothing.

#20 ·
I fished around the area and drove to Purdy and watched the Indians sein the entire channel at purdy! All that work for roughly 30 Fish.I would assume it is slow at Minter since they are not netting down there...

I got 3 SRC's today chasing a school up and down the beach. Chums jumping deep and the Cutties in close. 10' off shore close.

#21 ·
Ok guys, think Thanksgiving for Minter. So you're close to the good runs coming in. I used to drool over the fish for years being the UPS driver out on KPN. But I'll tell you from what I learned years ago when they first opened it up for chum fishing. They wanted the chums out. And I've noticed each year the runs got less and less. It is a small pit, and LOTS of private property. So be careful where you step. Chums are a hearty fish, so doubt they'll eradicate them completely. But know when they first opened it they did it in October. Problem, tons of silvers there at that time too. Lots of guys trying to bonk silvers, why the opener switched to Nov 1st. But know I'd PURPOSELY volunteer to work the day after Thanksgiving (that Friday is a paid holiday for UPS drivers, but we have a special air run at OT pay) so I could fish Minter on my lunch break. I wanted fresh chums for the smoker, and I'd always catch at least 1 or 2 chromers (or near chromers) around that time in my hour lunch. But would catch a couple ugly ones too. Key is to fish the incoming tide, at least half way through. DO NOT fish it at low tide!!!! That's where the freak fest comes out, and the snaggers chase fish. Purely disgusting. Funny how I was confronted by a person who was a member of one of these boards (I do believe he had an account here too), said chum didn't bite, and gave me a hard time for using my fly rod. Caught 1 on a dry right in front of him with another board member from here nearby. Was great. But I didn't need to actually see them, just fished spots I knew they'd be. Caught more then the rest (and mine weren't snagged).

It's a great fishery if you just want to put fish on the bank, but it's not my cup of tea. It's literally a hatchery hole, which is where the worst of the worst go, since they know they can shoot ducks in a barrel. Why I bypass the same type holes up on the Satsop, Bogie, Hump, and a few other rivers I know that hatchery holes exist.

#22 ·
Fished from 2 to 6pm from the mouth to the bend from low tide on. One had one take on a purple and pink flash fly. Foul hooked a few in the evening despite my best efforts. Doesn't seem to be as many biters as last year. Not yet anyway. I threw every color including black. I fished with a drift,with a retrieve- standing on one foot. Didn't matter. The weren't interested. I cast in front of hundreds of fish some I could even see. They were spooky but I wasn't where everyone else was and the fish were really fresh. Still no takers except one poor blind ( I think he was swimming with a seeing eye dog) stupid buck who probably ran into my fly totally by accident. Oh well better luck next week maybe :)

#24 ·
I drove by yesterday. I ton of Cars... I saw some snagging and shady activity. Not a ton of fish at the hatchery intake. It is still early according to the Hatchery staff.

Went to a beach and got 1 SRC.

The Indians are netting Purdy heavy, which means there are no fish by Minter.

#26 ·
Fished Minter from 1 to 6pm yesterday. Fished down toward the mouth on a falling tide. Lots of fishing moving about right at dark. For awhile there were so many it was almost impossible not to foul hook them. Moved out to where they were more spread out and landed 2 fresh hens that ate my fly. One on a chartreuse sparkle fly another on a black and pink marabou egg sucking leach. Had a few more legitimate strikes. I think they were more aggressive as the sun went down and they felt safer.

#27 ·
I was there too yesterday. Caught 2 biters. One was a nice buck that grabbed my popsickel while on the hang down like a steelhead! That was great! The other was an older hen that took it on a dead drift. Some how I wasn't able to hook any in the tails or fins or sides or backs ... Must be too wimpy at hook sets ...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.