Missoula at end of June

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by JayH, Mar 29, 2014.

1. JayH

JayH Active Member

Hi all,

A friend and I are going to Missoula the last week of June to fish the Blackfoot. Picked June just because. After soaking in some information about the area it seems late June might not be a great time to go fishing there and am wondering if you all could pass on some pointers for fishing the area around Missoula that time of year. I'm not adverse to switching to the Bitterroot or Clark Fork if it will make for better fishing.

Thanks!

2. Kyle Smith

Kyle Smith DBA BozoKlown406

PM sent

3. Jonnytutu

Jonnytutu Active Member

I think the Missouri will be your best bet if the runoff is still going, its a tailwater and won't be too affected by high water. Its about 2hrs SE of Missoula. Beautiful river, lots of good fish, and lots of camping around. If its an early runoff then there could be endless options around....seems like any stream there is full of good fish.

Fin

Bob Rankin likes this.
  4. Grayone

Grayone Fishin' to the end, Oc.P

Rock Creek stonefly hatch

IrishKelly likes this.
  5. scottr

scottr Active Member

Not sure what the snowpack situation is in the Bitterroot range but in the Bridgers and Spanish Peaks are at 160% of average. The Yellowstone should be clear by about August. Might give the Grizzly Hackle a call before your trip for some real time intel.

6. troutdopemagic

troutdopemagic Active Member

june is walking a tight rope of runoff conditions. Granted, you could fish the Mo' or other tailwaters. But if your dead set on Freestones it could be hit or miss. Its a good time for Salmonflies on the Yellowstone, Rock Creek, Madison and others if you hit it right, or you'll be watching bobbers in chocolate milk wondering when the bugs come off.

7. JayH

JayH Active Member

Thanks for all the insight. Looks like we picked the wrong time to hit the area for fishing. I'm off to look up Rock Creek and see how close to Missoula it is :)

8. mat1226

mat1226 Active Member

Jay, there is always good stillwater fishing in that area to consider, if runoff is still going strong.

9. Kyle Smith

Kyle Smith DBA BozoKlown406

Also keep an eye on snowpack levels. Runoff might peak June 15th or so like usual, depends on what kind of April and May we have.

10. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Rock Creek is about 25 miles East of Missoula. It's like blizzard conditions up on Lost Trail Pass and Lolo Pass today. The snow pack up on Lost Trail Pass is the most I've seen since I moved to Montana. I check it everyday. It was nasty up there this morning.

If your into a little more driving the Beaverhead is another option. It's a tail water also and controlled by the Clark Canyon Dam. It's a little hard to wade when water is released. It comes up about 18 inches when they start releasing water. But it's got lots of nice fish in it. I go visit the closed water about two times a week. It opens on the third Saturday in May.

Kyle Smith likes this.
  11. Grayone

Grayone Fishin' to the end, Oc.P

Rock Creek will be fine at the end of June. The water will be high as always and the fish will be within a foot of the bank as always.

tonemike and flybill like this.
  12. Bob Rankin

Bob Rankin Chasing fur and fish every second I get :)

+I for Rock-creek and the Mo! Nice camp ground at Rock creek with place to eat and a cool fly shop.

Johnny Staats likes this.