Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Moderate Action 4 weight Rod

Wanted 
713 views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  Nooksack Mac 
#1 ·
I just busted my 4 weight rod; it was 25 years old, made by a fly shop employee from an Anglers Workshop blank and sold to me at an outdoor show, so no free replacement or repair.

Here's what I'm looking for. 8' or maybe 8'6" at the max. NOT a fast action or likely even medium fast; my old rod was a moderate action rod and that's what I'm looking for. It'll have to be an all-round rod, flies and nymphs, but I'll generally NOT be looking to huck #6 conehead flies across the Deschutes. More of a small stream rod with a lot of sensitivity. My price range, while not unlimited, will likely be higher than the $60 I paid for my old rod, say $250, but might go a big higher for the right rod. I've been thinking of the Redington Classic Trout; I haven't haven't actually cast one yet, but the description fits what I'm looking for. Within the above parameters am pretty open.

Anybody with something like this available?

#2 ·
Go Glass!

I just busted my 4 weight rod; it was 25 years old, made by a fly shop employee from an Anglers Workshop blank and sold to me at an outdoor show, so no free replacement or repair.

Here's what I'm looking for. 8' or maybe 8'6" at the max. NOT a fast action or likely even medium fast; my old rod was a moderate action rod and that's what I'm looking for. It'll have to be an all-round rod, flies and nymphs, but I'll generally NOT be looking to huck #6 conehead flies across the Deschutes. More of a small stream rod with a lot of sensitivity. My price range, while not unlimited, will likely be higher than the $60 I paid for my old rod, say $250, but might go a big higher for the right rod. I've been thinking of the Redington Classic Trout; I haven't haven't actually cast one yet, but the description fits what I'm looking for. Within the above parameters am pretty open.

Anybody with something like this available?

#5 ·
I have a Loomis GL3 8 foot, 3-piece 4 wt that I built from a blank about 14 years ago. I have only fished it a couple of times since then. I prefer a slow action bamboo. I would be willing to sell it for $100, which is less than I paid for the blank. It is in new condition.

Ted

#8 ·
Patrick, a question I've been asking myself. The line I have right now, and if you put a gun to my head I couldn't remember the brand or type, worked great on my former rod, but no guarantee it will work as well on the new one. I'll just have to try it and see. I can see most of this rod's use will be on smaller Wisconsin Driftless area streams, so I will likely find something that has a long-ish belly for delicate presentation of dries in the summer, although those streams are so shallow it'll work just fine for small nymphs as well. Hero casts are generally not needed on those streams, from my limited experience on them. The CT I have purchased is a 9', slightly longer than my former rod, and given the small size of those streams, I imagine can cover nearly all the streams by Czech-nymph style fishing on them with that rod.

#10 ·
It's such a popular rod that there are several old threads on this very topic. I've been using a SA Headstart ( 1/2 weight heavy. Sort of a cheap version of the GPX) and never really liked it. I think I'm going to try one of the budget oriented Cortland lines. It would be cool to find an inexpensive, but overachieving line to go with the inexpensive overachieving rod.

For the conditions you describe a Rio LT in double taper might work well.

FYI: It's awesome with the Rio Mainstream Type III sinker.

#11 ·
I have a Scott SAS804 (8' 4 weight two piece) that I was just about to put on the market. It's in very good/excellent condition, uplocking aluminum/rosewood seat, typical western grip, with its original tube. I'd call its action " on the slow side of medium-fast." $115 shipped in the U.S.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.