Mold for Pyramid Anchor

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by Bank Bum, Mar 2, 2009.

1. Bank Bum

Bank Bum Member

Was wondering if I could get some info on what to use to build a mold for 12 to 15 lb pyramid anchor,I have all the lead I need. Want to use anchor for holding pontoon boat in shallow water while iam off of it fishing,so I dont have to do the mad-dash thing & try to retrieve it. Any input would surely help, Thanks

Bank Bum

2. bfic

bfic Member

My brother made a square pyramid mold out of heavy steel sheet. It split diagonally and was held together by a couple of screws. I calculated the weight for different height pyramids and we marked the interior for 10, 20 and 30 lbs. I would fill an old steel wash pan with sand and stand the mold in it point down. Then fill it with molten lead up to the mark for the weight I wanted. Worked easy enough.

3. Bank Bum

Bank Bum Member

Thanks bfic,so when you calculated for different size anchors,what were the dimensions used,I think instead of a pointed pyramid I might try putting a blunt or flat end on it,beings its gonna be on pontoon boat,Thanks

Bank Bum

4. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

Home Page:
    Alot of guys use sand to poor lead weights.

Also, make sure you have a pot big enough to cast the WHOLE weight at once. Lead does solidify pretty quickly. You don't want layers, you want it to cool as a whole.

5. Bank Bum

Bank Bum Member

Thanks Jerry,what i need is a measurement of someone`s 12 or 15 lb anchor, like 3"x3"across bottom ,4"in hi on sides and 5"x5" across top,just by looking at some pics on the web,this is just a guess on the size for a 12 lb,then i will beable to build a mold. Thanks

Bank Bum

6. bfic

bfic Member

You can figure it out -

The volume of a pyramid is: 1/3 [(area of the base) x height]

(examples on the following web site: http://www.mathsteacher.com.au/year10/ch14_measurement/25_pyramid/21pyramid.htm)

The weight will be the desity of lead (.410 lb/cu in) x the volume (make sure you measure in inches to keep the units consistent)

a 3" x 3" square pyramid 4" high weighs: 1/3[(3 x 3) x 4] x .410 = 4.92 lbs

a 5" x 5" square pyramid 5" high weighs: 1/3[(5 x 5) x 5] x .410 = 17.08 lbs

triangular pyramids weigh 1/2 of square pyramids with the same length sides

This is for pure lead so will be slightly diffrent with other lead alloys depending on density

7. cheweyscharters

cheweyscharters New Member

also check out the website MICHIGAN SPORTSMAN FORUM.there is some great advice in the cold water boating forum on how to do this.i followed the directions and it worked great to build a 30# and 60#. JUST MAKE SURE THER IS NOTHING WITH MOISTURE/WATER ANYWHERE NEAR MOLTEN LEAD!!!!YOU DON'T WANT TO FIND OUT WHAT HAPPENS!!!

8. Bullwhacker

Bullwhacker Member

For one maybe two pours you can use a wood mould. The lead will be around 600 degrees and will be solid well before the wood goes. That is the easiest mould to make, just don't plan on making a dozen with it. This assumes you are doing it outside. ;)

9. bfic

bfic Member

Also remember - steel is less dense than lead so it floats in molten lead. You can't just drop a steel rope loop in after the lead is poured because it will float to the top. You need to weight it or clamp it in place prior to pourig the lead.

10. Bank Bum

Bank Bum Member

Thanks for all your help guys,been sick for a week but will be pouring anchor today,didnt make a mold yet,but my son borrowed his buds mold,so i will make a copy of there`s a build one for ourself,Thanks again,Bank Bum

11. Bank Bum

Bank Bum Member

poured 11 anchors today, from 12 lb to 15 lb have plenty to spare for now,but thanks for all your help guys.son has already giving away 3 as we speak,lol,Thanks..:thumb:

Bank Bum

12. Daryle Holmstrom

Daryle Holmstrom retiredfishak

Was wondering why does everyone need a ten or fifteen pound anchor for a pontoon boat?

I use a 8 pound anchor with my 12 foot lund in the rivers and lakes with no drag, just put out enough scope.

13. Bank Bum

Bank Bum Member

we use 12 to 15 lb anchors to hold pontoon boats in shallow to mild flows so you can sit & fish off boat or just drift flys down,but,they dont hold very well at all with any swift water,plus it would be scary to do as well,i have seen guys with 25 to 30 lb anchors on pontoon boats before.

Bank Bum

14. Mayfly Aviator

Mayfly Aviator Active Member

I'd be happy to trade some good flies and good beer for an anchor (30 lb) if anyone is interested. Or, if you'd rather monetary payment, I may be able to do that too.

Thanks - Sam

15. fredaevans

fredaevans Active Member

"KISS."

Depending upon where your fishing, AND this is a pontoon boat, why not keep it simple? Make/buy a sturdy bag (heavy canvas is good) and fill it with rocks/sand before you launch. Sew the bottom up with 30- 50# line and a few 'grommets' at the top (leather tooling stuff) to put you anchor line through .... and you're good to go.