Moles

Discussion in 'Cast & Blast' started by Kirke, Aug 11, 2013.

1. Jim Wallace

Jim Wallace Smells like low tide.

Cranberry Country...a glorified coastal swamp!
    I use that stuff, but there's a lot of "replacement moles" around my place that keep moving in. Its not safe for humans to breath the fumes either, so quickly deploy the bomb as directed, fuse-first into the hole, hold your breath before it starts going off, instantly cover the hole with a short block of 2x4, then cover that with dirt...all of this as quickly as possible, trying to not let any of the gas escape.

I have a spring-powered spike trap, but I need to make the trigger release more sensitive. So far the factory setting is too tight, and the dang thing hasn't worked.
    I have an electronic mole repeller, and that works until the moles finally get used to it.
    I'm going to try the wriggly's gum.
    Once, I was able to spear one that was pushing up dirt (caught in the act!) with a home-made mole spear. It was a long-bladed carving knife taped to a broom handle.

Cats are useless against moles. I did see the neighbor's aggro Pit Bull dig up a mole and bite it to death. Made my day! the dog got a little too aggro and also bit another neighbor's dog to death, and had to be put to sleep. RIP Belle, I miss ya!

2. Jim Wallace

I've got plenty of worms in my compost pile. How do you rig 'em up as "poison worms" without killing em? Inquiring minds want to know about this!

3. Jim Wallace

The juicy fruit gum suggestion gave me an idea that might work. Roll up a stick of pink colored gum and work it like a chunk of epoxy putty until its soft enough to shape into the form of a worm.
    Place it in a mole hole and recite the following words: "Here ya go! I brought a nice treat for my little buddy! A fat pink worm! Just for you!"

Then, as you walk away, mutter under your breath: "I hope you choke on it, you little ratf*#*er!"

Of course, moles are a lot smarter than steelhead, and this might not work as well as one hopes.

4. bennysbuddy

bennysbuddy the sultan of swing

Look up molecat on the internet, thats the best foolproof method to eliminate moles that I have found. I bought mine at Arlington Hardware

www.molecat.com

5. fly-by

fly-by Active Member

6. plaegreid

plaegreid Saved by the buoyancy of citrus

I had a cat that cleared our mole problem out within a month back in Nebraska. My cats now just bring live moles into the apartment. :confused:

7. Jim Wallace

You are lucky. The moles in my yard build tunnels anywhere from 4" to over a foot underground. The neighbor's cats just poop on the mole hills, but are too lazy to dig after the moles. They like to hunt songbirds, instead.

With this rain, several new mole hills have appeared in my yard, and this morning it looks like a whole team of them are invading from the overgrown empty lot next door.

I have concrete walkways and a patio that the moles burrow under, and they create large piles on the edges. I finally figured out how to kill the ones living there:
    I opened a tunnel on one end of my patio, and another on the opposite end that was in-line with another mound that was near to it, but out away from the edge of my patio. I opened the nearby mound. Now I had three open holes.
    I duct-taped a hose extension to my leaf blower and inserted the hose end into the outer hole, and sealed it with dirt. Now I had a blower system ready to go on one end of the tunnel system. I deployed the gas bomb in the middle hole (next to the blower) and quickly covered it up, then turned on my blower. When I saw the fumes coming out of the far hole, I shut off the blower and sealed the far hole.

I did this in a couple other spots, too.
    That killed the moles, but there seem to be an infinite number of reinforcements ready to invade from the outer perimeters. I suppose that one must have something to fight. My area is unincorporated, and there's no "city hall."

8. bennysbuddy

bennysbuddy the sultan of swing

I thought the geneva convention prohibited gas warfare ?