Montana stream access under attack.

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by bitterroot, May 31, 2013.

1. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

It's a bit weird in Oregon. There are a few tidal areas that are excluded from the river rights... probably had to do with clams or some such critter.

However, the vast majority of Oregon beaches are publicly owned and once you have legally accessed the beach, you are not trespassing. We used the open beach regulation as a comparison to our river rights. Once you are legally in the river, you are not trespassing while in the water or on shore. River rights are the same as the beach rights. It was a good argument that the land owners had problems overcoming with their bogus deeds.

Of course I guess you don't have to worry much about beach rights in Montana :)

2. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

I'm curious why the state of Montana isn't involved in the proceeding on behalf of all the state's citizens.

Sg

3. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

With all the open water here in Montana, why worry about some water you can't get to. I fish the small skinny water and don't worry about to where I can't get to because of some ass hat stopping you. I can always seem to find open water.

As to your question, no I don't have any help or insight.

4. bitterroot

bitterroot Love vintage graphite!

...but, too many of those ass hats could start to infringe on your fishing. We can't let some prick set a precedent.

5. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

Sooner or later the ass hats will be buying up the land along the skinny water too. Fight them now or fight them later. Now is better.

6. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

Tony Abaloney likes this.
  7. creekx

creekx spent spinner

Exactly. Some would consider the Ruby skinny water, especially in it's upper reaches. You wouldn't have to drive so far to fish it if that other ass hat from Atlanta didn't have miles of it blocked off above the reservoir.

8. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Ted Turner has a very, very big ranch on the Ruby. Every time I drive by that place I give the ranch the finger. It don't bother him, but I feel better. He doesn't let anybody on his water.

But I fish up in the National Forrest land. He doesn't own that.
    I'll probably be up in the skinny water in the sky when all that comes about.

9. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

Me too, but I want to get in a few good hits on the greedy ass hats before I go!

Brett Angel likes this.
  10. Jim Speaker

Jim Speaker Active Member

Home Page:
    OMJ, it's specifically related to 8 miles of the Ruby. In my recollection that's one of the rivers you fish. Want to give it over to a rich boys club without calling bullshit on them? IMO you got more spunk than that... just sayin.

11. Jim Speaker

Home Page:
    I actually read that Turner finally started playing fair. He still has an issue with people on the Ruby?

I've read reports from the Red Rock recently and that was a no go for a long time due to Turner.

I'm not saying he's not an ass hat. But, is there any truth to him changing his ways of late?

12. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

That ranch in question has Buffalo on it and not much else. The area that I fish is about 20 miles higher up the river. Where the Grayling are.

13. freestoneangler

freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

Thanks for posting and why I joined and support PLWA...these guys do a lot for protecting public land access rights. "King Kennedy" has been at this for awhile. People like him piss me off as I don't think anyone should own our nations treasures.
    King Cox Kennedy.jpeg

14. Jim Speaker

Home Page:
    Seeing what he looks like just makes me want to puke... picturing that *** out on the Ruby makes me sick.

15. Jim Darden

Jim Darden Active Member

This whole issue confuses me. If you read the federal law, it seems clear that all navigable waters are public domain up to the high water mark. However, only Montana seems to enforce this. In Washington, anglers were prosecuted for floating the little Spokane river and the courts held that the land owner owned the river bed and the water above it. In the salt chuck, Washington has sold most of the tidelands, so you can't fish the beach. In Colorado they have prosecuted kayakers on the Colorado River....guess you have to buy a judge to insure your rights......sounds like Mexico to me