Montana's Firehole Ranch...quality fishing?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Peter Pancho, Jul 1, 2002.

1. Peter Pancho

Peter Pancho Active Member

Home Page:
    Hello, my fiance and I are spending our honeymoon at the Fire Hole Ranch in Montana in Sept. I have never fished Montana, are the rivers by the Fire hole of any quality fishing? We are mainly going to be mostly wading.
    I hear there are a couple quality rivers around just minutes away. Thanks for the feedback guys!

peter

2. Chris Scoones

Chris Scoones Administrator Staff Member

A honeymoon FF'ing in West Yellowstone MT at a class lodge. Good on ya Peter and congratulations. :THUMBSUP

I haven't been down that way yet but have heard reports abound. I don't think you'll go wrong anyway you go. As long as your there with a lodge that has a shop and guides, you might at least take one guided day. Make it your first day, tip well, and have your guide assist with planning the rest of your trip including patterns.

Hopefully someone with knowledge of the area and conditions will chime in with more.

~Chris

3. Roll Cast

Roll Cast New Member

Hi,
    I lived near the Firehole Ranch for 15 years/fished around there and sold them groceries. It was and had been, for years and years a quality place. If I were going back for a stay near West Yellowstone I would stay there.
    You'll be going to town while you're there;p go by Jacklins Fly Shop; introduce yourself to Bob Jacklin (he'll give you info re where and what to fish). There's a lifetime of quality fishing within the area from the Madison, Gallatin, Firehole rivers to places called "that little spring creek over by ______'s place".
    Roll Cast
    Think Good Thoughts
    Play as if Life were the prize