Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

More Fishing License/discovery Pass Confusion?

12K views 74 replies 33 participants last post by  Olive bugger 
#1 ·
So I bought my new fishing license yesterday. My old license yellow tag that you hang in your window (with all the others...) had a line #1 and a line #2 which under the space says "License Plate Required".
Now the question. The new 2012 yellow tag only has one space, which, below it says the same, "License Plate Required". So......can you NOT have more than one car now under the new license for parking at a WDFW site ??????? Geesus Cecil !!
What gives here?

#36 ·
I don't think your licence has anything to do with the discovery pass, its for your vehicle not you.

And to make it simple you are gonna bite the bullet and buy both passes if you want to go anywhere out of doors. I just place all of my passes, wdfw, discover, a trail pass of some kind, a ski pass, a few parking pass from Seattle, a validated pass from hooters, I even through up an old wwu parking pass sometimes.

But really I write lightly in pencil and swap numbers if necessary, haven't had a problem yet and I've done it with my wdfw pass for years. Of course the warden would need to be about 6'8" to see the dash of my van! Mirror has been removed of course.

#38 ·
I was told you can send it back in with documentation that shows the change in plates and they will issue a NEW DP free of charge.
I had that same issue last year when I bought a new truck a couple months after I bought the DP (old truck died). Got a temporary paper plate then the new ones showed up. At first they said I had to buy a new DP for the new truck twice, but they were wrong. Its a pain but I managed.

#39 ·
Beginning July 1, the Discover Pass is required for vehicle access or parking on Washington state parks and recreation lands. Note: Current Vehicle Use Permits will be honored on WDFW lands for the balance of the license year (through March 31, 2012).

Taken from the WDFW web site. Now I am confused.
(Red copy is my edit.)

Second edit:
Where do I need a Discover Pass?
The pass is required to access state recreation lands and water access sites managed by Washington State Parks (State Parks), Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife (WDFW) and Washington State Department of Natural Resources (DNR). These lands include state parks, water access points, heritage sites, wildlife and natural areas, trails and trailheads. The Discover Pass will be needed to access DNR's developed or designated recreation areas, sites, trailheads and parking areas. For a complete list of exemptions, please go to the Discover Pass website.

More edit. from the Discover Pass web site.

• Hunting and fishing on WDFW-managed lands. The Discover Pass is not required for holders of certain hunting and fishing licenses on WDFW recreation lands and water-access sites. For those individuals, a "WDFW vehicle access pass" will be required for vehicle access to WDFW lands and boat launches. WDFW will honor WDFW vehicle use permits that were purchased prior to July 1, 2011, on WDFW lands through March 31, 2012.

Those license holders will need a Discover Pass to access DNR-managed lands that are developed or designated as recreation areas, sites, trailheads and parking areas. Signs will be posted in these areas. License holders will not need a Discover Pass to access small blocks of undesignated DNR-managed lands.

For vehicle access to lands managed by State Parks, all hunters or fishers will need to purchase the Discover Pass. As a reminder, hunting is not allowed on State Parks lands.

Note: The vehicle access pass is valid for the license's year (April 1 through March 31) and is issued free of charge with an individual's initial purchase of a big-game or small-game hunting license, western Washington pheasant permit, trapping license, Watchable Wildlife decal, or saltwater, freshwater or combination recreational fishing license.

#41 ·
This is absolutely ridiculous, who do I write to? My state reps?

Can I ride my bike to the local stocker lake and fish without a Discover Pass?
What about county parks where lake access and park access are muddled together, Do I need a Discover Pass to take my son to the playground?

I'm willing to pay for the right to fish and If I have to pay for parking, well that's OK... But jerking us around is stupid.

#67 ·
Brad, Back when they first tried charging for daily vehicle access, I actually found places to park near the local state parks and either walked or biked in from there. For example, I parked on Port of Grays Harbor property just outside of Westhaven State Park and walked the last half-mile to the Jetty when I wanted to go jetty fishing. Minor hassle. Same thing for Lighthouse State Park in Westport. There is plenty of free parking very close ( a stone's throw) and adjacent to the park, right along Ocean Ave. There's no reason to even park in the Lighthouse St Pk parking if you don't have the Pass. I never did pay up for a permit that last time. And resistance by the populace was not futile, as the State quit their bad idea.
So looking for some free parking nearby might be a partial solution.
Now, since things are even worse, I don't think that they will retire this Pass anytime soon.

This is absolutely ridiculous, who do I write to? My state reps?

Can I ride my bike to the local stocker lake and fish without a Discover Pass?
What about county parks where lake access and park access are muddled together, Do I need a Discover Pass to take my son to the playground?

I'm willing to pay for the right to fish and If I have to pay for parking, well that's OK... But jerking us around is stupid.

#46 ·
So who is checking? Nobody I've ever seen.
I was checked by a WDFW officer a week ago while shooting pictures by the Samish River. Funny, when he approached me, he laugh and said when he saw my truck he thought I was poaching. He then asked if I had a pass in the truck. I said yes and we talked for awhile. On his way back to his truck I watched to see if he looked for my pass. He did. He also showed me a couple of pictures of some beautiful wild steelhead caught from the Samish during a test fishery. The fish are there.

#45 ·
So can I use my Good to Go pass to pay for the fine when I don't write my license plate on my other fucking passes? :mad:

Btw, I've never written my license plate on my WDFW pass.. why start now? I only have one vehicle, and that won't change anytime soon... I may break down and get a fucking Discovery Pass, since Leland doesn't invite me fishing anymore... :rolleyes:

#48 ·
YOu guys who, like me, are 62 or over, don't neglect the "senior" pass with the feds-it'll get you into all the BLM spots for free if it's a spot shared by WDFW, like Umtanum and Big Pine on the Yakima. I haven't checked Ringer yet, but it may work there as well, and it's $10/lifetime.

#53 ·
YOu guys who, like me, are 62 or over, don't neglect the "senior" pass with the feds-it'll get you into all the BLM spots for free if it's a spot shared by WDFW, like Umtanum and Big Pine on the Yakima. I haven't checked Ringer yet, but it may work there as well, and it's $10/lifetime.
I got my Federal Access Pass as a DAV a few years ago at 55. Sometimes I wish I would have had to wait and pay the 10 bucks. The BLM sites I've stayed at give a 50% discount for the Pass.

#49 ·
What should the solution be? I'm reading lots of gripes but limited suggestions on how to solve the core problem. Why do you think the state wanted to limit the number of vehicles per pass? Why do you think they created the pass in the first place?

#50 ·
What should the solution be? I'm reading lots of gripes but limited suggestions on how to solve the core problem. Why do you think the state wanted to limit the number of vehicles per pass? Why do you think they created the pass in the first place?
A pass that is good for whatever vehicle you're in! Even better would be one pass for outdoor activities. Or at least a discounted option for those of us that participate in multiple activities.

The Discover Pass is another attempt to generate income for the State Parks.. they tried this before with a daily use fee, there was also an annual pass. At the time I lived in Issaquah, near that state park and just stopped using it. I wasn't the only one, as park use dropped dramatically... I'm sure the same will happen with this program...

#51 ·
My logic agrees with flybill. Rather than playing cute with the citizen's wallet, why don't they come clean and tell us that they are not capable of running the state at a break even part and that they need more money.
In my world, when things get political or have political direction, they get
convoluted and misdirected. Votes and reelections become more important issues.

As for a solution, I would rather they issue ONE (1) pass, good at any State or National public access domain. The pass should have a single price, should be accepted at all of the facilities without exception and have a valid expiration date that is static for all concerns. After all, they have the same calendar and the year is still 365 days with the exception of Leap Year. The proceeds could be divided between all of the concerned agencies.
That is my solution. I am not certain that politicians could grasp the concept, however.

#52 ·
Cutting the tax breaks for big oil companies (watch what Congress does...) and sending some of the money to the States could help parks and then we could fight the State to eliminate the Discover Pass! Finally, since 1920's, the royalties charged oil companies for drilling on public lands went up from 12.5% to 18.75%. Our state should get a chunk of that too! And, I don't know what the rates are on windpower on public lands, but you would think that should get a boost too. The State needs to hit the people using our public lands for commercial profits and put it back into the park solution.

#54 ·
I got my Combination License with Columbia River Endorsement and a Discover Pass last night. I'll pay the cost of the DP for reasons i've mentioned previously, but THAT was sticker shock. I didn't notice it so much last year because I bought the license and pass separately. Regardless, at the end of a year the DP will have only cost me a couple of bucks a trip.

As far as the single vehicle Discover Pass goes, if my son and fishing buddy can't stomach the DP, I'll drive but they can pony up for the gas, dinner and/or refreshments when we go Curtis Creekin'. I probably won't get an upgrade to include another vehicle if there's a cost involved.

The single-car WDFW pass sucks, but I only have the SUV I use for fishing and a nice sports sedan that isn't. My son will buy a license so I'm covered if I borrow his rig in a pinch. I hope it gets fixed for all who use more than one vehicle for fishing though.

#55 ·
I have been in Washington for 32 years but now the state government is as fucked up as the federal government. I would like to move to another state that is possibly warmer and drier and hopefully one where I didn't need to pack a bandolier of permits, passes, licences and a New York City phonebook sized synopsis to understand what I need where and when just to wet a line.

Is there anything like that left in the US or should I be looking into becoming an expatriot? Maybe 66 years of fishing has been enough and I just need to give it up and become a bird watcher or meteorite hunter. Both would keep me out of the La-Z-Boy and in the outdoors. Just a thought but the idea of getting rid of a thousand pieces of fishing gear, boats etc and getting a pair of Swaroski binocs and a metal detector does have some appeal.

I also wonder how many casual recreational fishermen who only go out a few times a year are going to just say: "Screw it-I'm doing something else". The ritual of taking the kids out for opening day is losing it's lustre when the threat of a $100 ticket is hanging over your head for not having the right colored pass on your dashboard. The fun just isn't there anymore.

Ive

#56 ·
I'm just lucky that I have enough state parks nearby (that I frequent) so that it makes it well worth the cost to purchase the yearly pass.
My work truck died, and I'm down to one vehicle. I'm stickin' with only one rig for a while, and maybe for good. I'm trying to reduce my expenses to the minimum in preparation for living on a fixed income.
I've got three trailers now. I wish I could legally move one plate around on all three. Can't tow 'em all at once. Still, three trailers are much cheaper to own than one other vehicle.
I need to start thinking about applying for "senior discounts." I found out that right now I qualify for reduced property taxes, and I'll be 62 in Sept. I am thinking that I'd better apply for these discounts before they try to take them away.

#57 ·
Washington is all about take, take, take. Here in Montana, you license your Trailer, Camper, ATV, Motorcycle, or anything else one time only. Then it's good to go until you sell it or it falls apart. I got a License for my ATV 4 years ago. They are permanent for as long as you own them.

Drivers license 8 years unless you are old like me. Then every 4 years.

Man, I love no Sales tax.

#58 ·
Once I quit surfing, I'm going to walk inland carrying my surfboard until someone asks me, "Why the heck are you carrying that overly wide water ski?" Then I'll know I'm far enough from the ocean, and I hope to at least make Idaho.
Only problem was the last time I said that (years ago, before I swore off cookies), i was coming back from a good surf skunking out on the Cape, and when we stopped at Ray's Last Chance for some cookies and gas, a Makah Indian looked at our boards on top of my rig and asked, "How was the water skiing?"

I've got a feeling I'll never get out of here!

#61 ·
Once I quit surfing, I'm going to walk inland carrying my surfboard until someone asks me, "Why the heck are you carrying that overly wide water ski?" Then I'll know I'm far enough from the ocean, and I hope to at least make Idaho.
Only problem was the last time I said that (years ago, before I swore off cookies), i was coming back from a good surf skunking out on the Cape, and when we stopped at Ray's Last Chance for some cookies and gas, a Makah Indian looked at our boards on top of my rig and asked, "How was the water skiing?"

I've got a feeling I'll never get out of here!
Oh you'll get out of there when the Tsunami hits Jim! I heard the Discover Pass is good for free surfing on those waves too, but when the waves have died down, it is my understanding you have to purchase another Discover Pass in order for you to be valid for surfing the next tsunami. :D

#59 ·
One of the reasons for the pass in the first place was to get the non-angling/hunting folks (license buyers) to start paying for their use on WDFW lands. If they wanted to bird watch, make out, or whatever, they needed to buy the pass to get on WDFW lands. In that regard, I'm glad they initiated the pass; it got the free-loaders to start paying their share.

However, with the consolidation of Parks, DNR, and WDFW into the Discovery Pass, it has caused some confusion. On passes that I use a lot, (WDFW) I don't mind having a pass in each vehicle (you get extra when you buy the kids' fishing license) because the last thing I want to do is remember to grab it from one vehicle to the next before going fishing and I figure WDFW can use a little more money. And I have a hard enough time just keeping track of my fishing license. However, I don't like the idea of getting three Discovery Passes, three BLM Passes, three National Park Passes in addition to my standard WDFW pass that comes with the fishing license.

I don't mind paying for outdoor recreating, but it does need to be revamped and simplified. That being said, I have often not written my license plate number on the pass itself. I figured if you are good enough to remember it and hang it in the window, that is good enough. I would think that before giving you a ticket, a WDFW Enforcement Officer would check your WILD Number with their handheld computer and confirm that I already bought multiple fishing licenses for me and my family and cut me some slack.

#62 ·
One of the reasons for the pass in the first place was to get the non-angling/hunting folks (license buyers) to start paying for their use on WDFW lands. If they wanted to bird watch, make out, or whatever, they needed to buy the pass to get on WDFW lands. In that regard, I'm glad they initiated the pass; it got the free-loaders to start paying their share.

However, with the consolidation of Parks, DNR, and WDFW into the Discovery Pass, it has caused some confusion.
I think saying some confusion is a major understatement after reading
all the posts about this issue. Let me puchase one thing that
lets me get where I want to go and not have to give a second thought
about WDFW, DNR, or any other crap. Just put it on the dash board
or mirror and you are Good To Go (patent pending),

Dave

#63 ·
As if the two passes are not expensive and confusing enough........you need yet another NW Annual Forest Pass to fish Coldwater Lake!!!! Grrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!
Someone really needs to pull their heads out in WA. Soon you'll need a permit to access toilet paper in the bathroom stalls! :rolleyes:

#68 ·
I got to laugh at one of the remarks mentioned here. Somebody said that having all these passes will make the people here that don't pay for passes to pony up now.

It came to mind that the summer before I left for Montana I made a visit to one of the accesses on the S/F Stilly. It was a nice summer day on a Sunday. I was enjoying the river with my kids and dogs. When a about 15 cars showed up with people wanting to float the river. This was when we all had those passes that you stuck to your vehicle(the ones that faded). They all piled out and set up to float. None of the cars had any passes on them.

So you think that people like that are going to go out and buy a pass. They need to post a guard on the access points to make everyone pay their dues. But you all know that is never going to happen.

#69 ·
Jim, I think they watched the movie with Clint Eastwood, and they developed the "GO AHEAD AND MAKE MY DAY" syndrone. They will enforce just enough that some poor fool will get caught bending their rules and they will hit them with a stiff fine, just so the word will get around. Then they reason, and perhaps not without justification, that the fear of the law will be upon everyone's soul and we will all camp at the door of the agency to get our ration of poop and launch site pass.

Edit for spilun. I are not a gud spelr.

#70 ·
WDFW NEWS RELEASE Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife
600 Capitol Way North, Olympia, WA 98501-1091

http://wdfw.wa.gov/

March 30, 2012
Sandy Mealing, State Parks, (360) 902-8559
Bryan Flint, DNR, (360) 902-1023
Margaret Ainscough, WDFW, (360) 902-2408

Discover Pass transferability signed into law
OLYMPIA - March 30, 2012 - A single, state recreation land pass now can be used on either of two motor vehicles, thanks to new legislation signed today by Gov. Chris Gregoire.
The change takes effect immediately. Holders of previously issued annual passes may enter a second vehicle license number on their existing pass.
Pass transfer between two vehicles also applies to vehicle access passes (VAPs) issued free with purchases of annual fishing and hunting licenses for access to Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife (WDFW) recreation lands and water- access sites.
"The Discover Pass is a great way to experience some of Washington's most extraordinary places and this legislation makes it even easier to visit our state parks and recreation lands," said Gov. Chris Gregoire. "Our parks, some of the best in the world, rely on user support and this small investment to enjoy our public lands is well worth it."
The Discover Pass was created by the 2011 Legislature and took effect last July. The pass - required to park motor vehicles in state parks and other state recreation lands - was created to make up for reductions in state general fund support for state recreation lands. The new modifications were adopted in Engrossed Second Substitute House Bill 2373, originally sponsored by Rep. Kevin Van De Wege and Rep. Steve Tharinger.
The annual Discover Pass is sold for $30 and provides vehicle access to millions of acres of state recreation lands managed by the Washington State Parks and Recreation Commission, WDFW and the Washington Department of Natural Resources (DNR). One-day passes are available for $10 but are not transferable.
The Discover Pass is sold through state vehicle-licensing outlets, at state parks, at some retail businesses and through WDFW's recreational licensing system, known as the Washington Interactive Licensing System (WILD). Transaction and dealer fees may apply.
Eighty-four percent of Discover Pass revenues go to State Parks, while WDFW and DNR each receive 8 percent.
So far, revenue from Discover Pass sales has come in at less than half of original projections. Projected sales through the end of 2011 were $19.38 million, while actual revenue for the period was $8.2 million.
"Customers have asked for transferable passes, the agencies sought this change and the Legislature has responded," said Don Hoch, State Parks director. "Customer survey results indicated that pass transferability between two vehicles could boost support for the Discover Pass. We are optimistic that the change will lead to greater public support and participation. We now depend on the Discover Pass to keep state parks and other state recreation lands open for public use and enjoyment."
The new legislation also allows for future development of new types of Discover Pass products and provides flexibility in how they are implemented.
For more information, visit the Discover Pass website at www.discoverpass.wa.gov .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.