More Green Lake (and carp)

Discussion in 'Warm Water Species' started by Willie Bodger, May 27, 2005.

1. Willie Bodger

Willie Bodger Still, nothing clever to say...

Well, got on the water around 7 this evening and got my first fish around 7:10, then 7:12, then 7:15... You get the picture (except that after 7:15 it was a while before the next one). And they were all subsurface.

Even with as well as Green Lake has been fishing, there were only 5 boats, tubes or toons out there all evening (at least along the lillipads on the west side). And the carp were amazing. I saw our own Paul Dieter (sp?) in trying to nab a carp on a dry, but no luck. A little later they started going kinda nuts in there rolling and jumping and thrashing around on the surface. Is there really much chance of going after these fish? Are they the grass carp? Either way, how would you target them?

Well, anyway, the fishing was fun, I got a few nice fish (for me, they were very nice) adn got to relax and avoid the mobs on the roads...

willie

2. Sparse Grey Hackle

Sparse Grey Hackle Member

Wrench has an article in the "knowledge" section on the home page.

-Sparse

3. ak_powder_monkey

ak_powder_monkey Proud to Be Alaskan

flies that look like berries, seriously

4. sportsman

sportsman Active Member

Wilie, are you sure they were Carp???? Sounds like how the Tiger Muskies behave!!

5. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

If they are grass carp,I believe that you have to leave them alone. The regs say that it is closed for them fish,page 31.

Jim

6. Willie Bodger

I thought they were carp, but all I saw were their backs occasionally when they were doing their impression of a salmon ascending a shallow stream among the lilipads (back out of the water swimming thru the weeds).

It's funny that they tell you to leave the grass carp alone, yet they put Tiger Muskies in there to keep the population down. Either way, where those fish were, I don't kow how you would get to tehm successfully. Or, rather, how you would land one give the size of those lilipads they were in.

Now, about those Muskies, they're just a big carnivore, so streamers and a bite leader if one were to go after them?

Willie

7. Andy

Andy Workin in a sweet mullet

If they were grass carp, they are light colored and have a trouty mouth. Common carp are gold.

If you are going after the tigers, use a big streamer, a bite leader and fish at dark for them. I had one of those things charge a wooly worm last year there when I was fishing for carp (not grass carp).
    Consequently, you can fish for grass carp (but not there). They put them in a lot of golf courses and city ponds around here (Vegas & Phoenix). If you can figure out when they mow the lawns at the golf courses, and you can get access, throw a grass fly (seriously) in there when they dump clippings in the pond. Grass carp go nuts for grass (hence the name). Some of the guys down here fish for them alot and catch one or two every time they go out.
    But other than when they eat grass, they are really spooky and are very hard to hook and land. I haven't even gotten good shots at them yet. Size 22 midges, 6x tippet and 30 lb. fish...... I'll keep trying.

8. Spawned Out Boot

Spawned Out Boot New Member

The carp in Green Lake are common carp...so you should be in the clear if you want to target them.

Other flies that have caught carp are - bead head pheasant tail nymphs, halfbacks, carp wooleys, and whitlock red squirrel nymphs.

If you tie, make sure that you tie these patterns with the hook riding upside down (since carp feed like bonefish). The key is to drop the fly on their nose with little or no splash. When you see them roll (open mouth), or suddenly change direction, give a solid line hookset.

Unless they are eating cottonwood, berries, or hoppers off the surface - you are going to be fishing weighted flies.

By the way, a buddy of mine runs this site for any carp fanatics out there -
    www.wyomingflyfishing.com/carpunlimited.aspx

9. riverrun

riverrun Member

Is there a launch for boats on trailers at Green Lake? Where is it located? It's been a while since I fished the Lake, (in a float tube) but recall it has quite the Spandex hatch at this time of year. Fishing's not bad either.

10. kodiaksalmon

kodiaksalmon Jeff B.

So what's the scene on Green Lake? Crowded? Dirty? Safe parking? Worth the three hour drive from Port Angeles? Is there a busy season to avoid?

Hearing about all the different fish in there, I'd really like to come over, but if it's a hassle or combat fishing, well nevermind.

But how is that spandex hatch?...

Jeff

11. ceviche

ceviche Active Member

Yes, it's between the two crew boathouse sheds at the south, southwest end of the lake.

Yep, that's true too! :thumb:

12. Wes Neuenschwander

Wes Neuenschwander New Member

You might want to check with the Seattle Parks Department before towing a trailer down to Green Lake. My recollection is that all the 'launches' (including the one by the boathouses at the S.W. corner of the lake) is for hand-launched craft only (that is, no vehicles are allowed). Also note that gas motors are not allowed (electrics OK). Frankly, as a small (~300 acre) urban lake, it's really best suited to float tubes, pontoon boats or small car-toppers anyhow. Also, there *is* a fair amount of recreational traffic on the lake at times, such as the Green Lake crew boats, paddling teams and rental paddle boats, etc. This can get to be a bit of a pain at times, especially when there are official Parks Department sponsored events underway (they take priority over other recreational uses).

As far as safe, well, you're playing the odds. Green Lake has always had a high rate of vehicle prowls, with smash & dash break-ins occuring regularly, day and night. Seems to affect all the parking areas more or less equally. Just the other day at the relatively sedate N.W. lot I noticed 6 fresh patches of side-window glass on the asphalt. Of course, that's out of 100's (if not 1000's) of cars that parked there over that period of time. For sure, leave nothing - of even marginal value - in sight in your vehicle, including CD's, cellphones, briefcases, backpacks, clothes (though fishing gear may be an exception, as these bozo's probably aren't savvy enough to appreciate the value of this stuff or have the faculties to resell them easily).

13. santoroman

santoroman New Member

Now you have to lic your toon this year, right? I know that i've seen lots of toon out on greenlake, but not #'s on the side of the toon. Might want to check with the regs on this. Cause you know they;ll write up a ticket real fast.

14. Willie Bodger

Seriously, license your 'toon for freshwater use? I thought you didn't have to license anything under x feet (don't have a boat, so I don't really know much) unless you were going to use it in the salt?

willie

15. msteudel

msteudel Mark Steudel

Home Page:
    Hmmm, I don't think that I'd ever drive 3 hours to fish at green lake, but perhaps that's because it's 10 minutes away. If I were you I'd only fish if I happened to already have something else to do over here. Aside from one jerk the other day, I've never had problems on the lake. Spandex, there's always some sort of spandex hatch going on there, especially if it's not raining.