Most Embarrassing moment with a Speyrod

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by SPEYBUM, Dec 10, 2006.

1. SPEYBUM

SPEYBUM Member

Home Page:

This board is getting way to Serious.
    What is you most embarrassing with a Speyrod?
    I have had many but two over that last few months are rather hilarious.

The first one was while test working with at student to line his new XYZ 13 ft. Speyrod.
    I had not cast this model before and was quite interested in trying one.
    The student had gotten the rod for gift from his girlfriend and was quite proud of it.
    We started working up line and notice the student struggling to get the lower hand to deliver power.
    So give it a try and the first cast felt like the rod had a butt was regressed beyond recognition.
    The second cast if felt the heart go into my mouth as the bottom grip sheared off at the lower end of the reel seat.
    Needless to say is was flaw from the factory and not my powerful lower hand.

The second came just a few weeks ago.
    A Client came out to have a cast with new line combination for one of his favorite rods.
    I watch him cast noted at the long distance he was getting.
    I opted to try and started at the same amount of line out that he had finished with.
    Working with my way though the running line and each cast ending quite strong I kept going.
    I stripped the last running line off the reel and lay the backing knot on the water.
    I set up for long cast and took it, it was a shoot made in heaven everything was right.

Running line zinged out of the water and the backing knot caught guide and way went the entire line.
    The bitter end was way out of reach I stood there with my mouth open as the line went down stream.

Luckily a gear guy snagged the whole thing for use and a couple of nail knot later we were in business.

We all have our day but if you take it with a sense of humor it will be okay

:cool:

2. Big Tuna

Big Tuna Member

Every moment w/ a spey rod is pretty embarrassing for me:) but one fishing trip stands out. I was fishing the granary drift on the Snake w/ my dad and two of my brothers. I led the way through the drift. After a half hour or so, I look back up the river and see my dad and younger brother gathered around my older brother looking at his head. I walked up there just in time to see my dad pull out the hemostats and pull a rather large fly out of my brother's ear. About an hour later I had started back at the top of the run. After making a couple of casts I feel this whack in the back of my head. I reached back there and felt what I thought was the ear piece from my glasses. After taking off my glasses, I discovered that "ear piece" was actually the outline of a hook that was stuck in the back of my head. Dad had to get the hemostats out again. When the night was over, my brother and I were all that got "stuck" on the granary drift. Left bank is a bummer if you're right-handed and a gaper.

3. Red Shed

Red Shed "junkyard spey"

Home Page:
    Sticking the hook in my jacket between my shoulder blades and wrapping the line around my head and shoulders while trying to do a snake roll.

4. Panhandle

Panhandle Active Member

where do I start.:eek:

5. Hal Eckert

Hal Eckert Active Member

Trying to land my first few steelhead hooked on a spey rod by myself not having a clue how to do it, glad there was no one else around as I lost all of them, also due to the river conditions high water and no bars for beaching etc with all of the high banks and overhanging brush/trees.

:eek: :eek:

BG

6. fredaevans

fredaevans Active Member

Few years back, fishing (spring kings) at MacGregor park on the upper Rogue. Using (one of the few times) a 15' 10/11 rod with feather bricks. Stripped off line, couple of fauls casts to get the head out in the water ... strip off some more running line.

Big circle cast topped off with a Perry Poke ..... line shot out like a cannon ball ... and the fly whacks a guy on the other side of the river in the chest! "Jeeessssuuusss C ....! You really can cast that thing a long way!"

Second one was in the same general area, but in the summer. Not paying enough attention and hooked a lady floating by on a rental raft. (The raft, thank God, not the lady.)

7. fredaevans

fredaevans Active Member

Hell :confused: I can do that any day with a down stream wind and 'river left.'

8. Dan Page

Dan Page Active Member

There have been many, but one sticks out last summer.
    Caught my hat on the forward cast. It went flying out 25 feet or so into the river--at 90 degrees from me and did not stay on the hook. Being one of my favorite hats I start casting as fast as I can to try and rehook it. As it was getting below me a ways I cast downstream slightly below the hat and then jerked staright up as it drifted over the line. By some wild chance I hooked it and reeled it in. I then looked up and down the river to see if there was anyone around. Thank God no one was there!

9. Will Atlas

Will Atlas Guest

just yesterday I was finishing up fishing a nice little pocket and I pulled the rod tip up to grab my fly and put the hook on the reel. Needless to say, I underestimated the power of my pull and the line ended up wrapped twice around my neck and once around my hood. I tried to make it look smooth as a gear fisherman a ways down was watching, but it only made it worse. it took a full 5 minutes to untangle. When I went down to talk to him he said, "I saw your embarrassing moment back there by the way."

10. Steelie Mike

Steelie Mike Active Member

Home Page:
    Last February, Halcyon and I floated the East Fork of the Lewis River. It is a sunny, but cold winter day. By early afternoon we park the boat on a long run with structure and a fairly deep tailout that looked like it should hold a fish or two. After Halcyon works through the run I start swinging a big purple intruder. By this time Halcyon it taking a breather and from my recollection eating lunch. At the end of the drift I hooked into a nice fish that starts rolling. She then takes a screaming run into the fast water on the opposite side of the stream then turns downstream into the current. By this time I was into my backing until my reel stops and my backing is birds nest. Shit I think to myself and start running downstream trying to keep the fish on. Well I was able to keep my footing for a while in the deep tailout, but then I got caught up in the current. Before lone I was on my back and then up and then on my back and then up and then on my face and then up again. I went several hundred feet down the stream.

The only thing I could think of was I hope the fish is still on. I am sure Halycon was thinking oh shit, he is going to die. With luck the deep run eventually shallowed out and I was able to get onto the bank. By the time I got on solid ground my waders were full of water and there was a gear fisherman on the other bank laughing at me. Meanwhile Halycon is doing his best to make it down to me from the bank. Waders full of water and tired and cold as could be I lifted my rod tip only to find the fish was still on. A minute later I found my intruder in the upper lip of a beautiful chrome hen. I got lucky more ways than one. And I can indeed laugh about it now. I must have looked like a float bobbing up and down in the current.

11. Davy

Davy Active Member

Are you kidding Aaron? Like Big Tuna- leaving the house with a two hander is embarrassing for me from the get go

12. James Mello

James Mello Inventor of the "closed eye conjecture"

I thought I had the minerals to do some casting at dusk, and decided to keep fishing, even though I couldn't see my anchor. I loaded the rod into what I though was a smooooootth D loop and threw the forward cast. I ended up having the fly actually anchored just behind me... Fly went forward, caught my waders in the ass end and proceeded to rip a 3" gash into my Patagoochies... It was a cold wet wade back to the car :(

13. Will Atlas

Will Atlas Guest

owee. damn steelie, brad pit esque fish fighting experience. I saw those pictures, thats pretty savage.
    Will

14. HauntedByWaters

HauntedByWaters Active Member

My most embarassing moment is every time I fish the Lyman Riffle. All the "old boys" glaring is always uncomfortable, not so much embarassing but oh well....Gotten easier for us fly chuckers in the last few years. Ten years ago you could feel the burn from their eyes.

15. gbeeman

gbeeman Active Member

Two years ago I was fishing on the Grande Ronde. My buddy and I had taken off our waders and were taking down our rods when I asked him about my spey casting. I was getting out well enough but I was throwing a very open loop. I figured there was something screwed up with my backcast but I couldn’t diagnose it while I was doing it.

With my waders stowed and my reel put away I was going through the motions of a snap T cast with just my rod. I knew enough to back way from my buddy’s Expedition and was about 20’ off to the side of it working through the cast. I did the preliminary moves and then executed the forward cast with a very strong stop. I immediately felt something go wrong with the rod and then heard the tip impact the Expedition! I was dumbfounded. I thought that maybe the tip had just come off but I wasn’t that lucky. I found the first piece next to the car. The tip section had broken about two inches above the ferrule. I walked around the car and found the majority of the tip section there. However, these two pieces didn’t fit together. It turns out the third piece was on top of the car. My buddy started to laugh and said I better not have hurt his car. I wasn’t amused and told him I really didn’t care about his car I was more worried about my rod. He thought I had hit the tip on the car. I thought it had just snapped from over flexing and that perhaps I had nicked it with a fly at some point in time.

Upon reflection I pretty sure this is what happened. As you spey cast one of the things you need to check for every so often is the tightness of your ferrules. I was pretty good at checking the first two but I hadn’t paid that much attention to the tip section. I had checked it once or twice and it didn’t seem to be loose. Now I’m sure it was. As I made that last forward cast the tip flew off and crashed into the Expedition with the aforementioned results. I felt pretty dumb, but at least we were done fishing. Sage has an excellent warranty and they fixed it and sent it back to me.