mountain lions: any repellents?

Discussion in 'Camping, Hiking, Cooking' started by speyday, Sep 17, 2009.

1. Zack Dudley

Zack Dudley Take em'

just stay away from cat nip hahaha

2. cutthroatking

cutthroatking screw work lets fish

I'm sorry I was confused on which cougers we were talking about.I think I'll stick with my repellant.Seems to work for the boy.

3. rooinater

rooinater aka "JAWS"

Home Page:
    Cougars?

Where are you going that you expect a problem? If you are lucky enough to see one, you should consider yourself one of the lucky few. I sleep in a tarp and bivy in cougar and bear country, the likely hood of something happening is fairly nil. Store your food properly by hanging it correctly, using a ursack with an OP sack, or use a bear canister. Cook away from camp and sleep the night away. In the unlikely event that you truly come across a cougar that is vicious there is nothing you can do except to fight for your life. Those types of encounters are highly unlikely, and the more time you spend in the wilderness the more you'll realize that. I was nervous about the hype around the bears and cougars when I started backpacking, than I realized if you pay attention, store food properly, and cook stuff away from camp it's highly unlikely you'll have an encounter let alone a dangerous encounter. Cats and bears are curious, and if they aren't hunting you they'll scare away easily.

4. Shapp

Shapp Active Member

I worked in the woods for many years in the most remote areas of Oregon and only have seen 2 cougars, although the hair on the back of my neck indicated many more went unseen. Not that I am opposed to hunting or carrying a gun, but if you are doing so for the sole protection for cougars you are crazy. You actually have a much better chance of being shot by a hunter or shooting your self accidently with your own side arm! There is only one verified human killed by a couger in Washington which was back in 1924 I believe.

5. doublespey

doublespey Steelhead-a-holic

If you're really scared of Cougars (4 legged variety), I suggest staying home till your balls develop a bit.

Unless it's been a REALLY bad year for deer, Cougars are way down the list of bad things you might encounter in the woods (behind public land pot farmers, backwoods inbreds, poachers, etc etc etc).

If you're more afraid of the two-legged variety, I suggest falsies and a wig. ;)

"Don't Worry, Be Happy" that there are still woods and wild things in them and that we can go there and spend time.

Just my .02,

Brian

6. Tony Mull

Tony Mull Member

i'd agree that cougars are way down on the list of things to worry about, as are bears for the most part. However listening to a cougar scream just outside your camp will inhibit the continued development of whatever balls you may have for at least a couple of years. Happened to me over 35 years ago but the old nutsack still tightens when I remember.

7. Trent

Trent Ugly member

Don't worry about cats, they don't bother you that often. If you see one and you don't like being in the same area, just make noise, yell at it, and appear bigger than it. They'll usually run away, they are more scared of you then you of them. Besides it's not the cats you see that you have to worry about, it is the ones you don't see. They are the ones stalking you and chances are if they choose to attack, they will be on top of you before you even know they are there. Anybody who has spent even the littlest amount of time in the woods, has probably been "stalked" by a cat, 90+% of the time you never know. But humans aren't really considered food by cats. Stay away from kill zones and cubs.:thumb: Or you can just stay home. Cat's around the world are probably the best hunters on this planet...IMO.

8. Jacob Peterson

Jacob Peterson Member

I have hearded stories about cougs stalking people from older aquintences who have had more experience in the woods than I (what can I say, im a young un) and people rarely will walk up and spook one. But the cougar everytime spooked and ran off or stopped stalking, If your really worried, carry a sidearm, 9mm proably because by the time you need it (which i can bet you you never ever will) the coug will be coming at you and you want the stopping power, or carry a shot gun with slugs or buck shot. But if you dont have a gun and the cougar does approach you, hold your pack over your head and make yourself seem big, and it will run off. bear spray, as recomended above, probably would work for cougars, both 2 legged and 4 legged :D and I bet if you hike alot here, theres a chance you've been stalked, but had no idea. I was on a day hike with a group of ten people and we were followed and didn't realize tell a group behind us spotted tracks.

9. Daryle Holmstrom

Daryle Holmstrom retiredfishak

They taste like Veal

10. Dustin Bise

Dustin Bise Active Member

preach brother!

i just got out of the grand gulch and hiked over 6 seperate sets of mt lion tracks and bivied out everynight. honestly i was more worried about if it was gonna rain (in the desert) then i was about an attack by a lion. they might sometimes now and then attack a smal child that is alone, but a full grown adult male is not within the normal "prey" size that a mt lion would go after. if your gettin attacked its likely a rabid animal. with that said the most realistic deterrent is just staying home, because the saying is if you notice a lion is attacking you its already way to late.

11. Derek Young

Derek Young Emerging Rivers Guide Services

Home Page:
    For the last couple of years, just hang out in the end zone, or the win column. There haven't been Cougs around there for a long time.

12. Alex MacDonald

Alex MacDonald that's His Lordship, to you.....

Years ago, when her Ladyship and I used to do a lot of cycling with a club in Sacramento, we were going out for a ride on New Year's Day, leaving from the Sacramento State Univ. South parking lot. We entered campus on the North side, and drove through the arboretum to get there, and passed a kitty sunning himself on the lawn! They come down the American River bike trail after the deer which live in the green belt on either side of the trail. That made a total of 4 cats I've seen in my life in the woods. Great looking creatures, they move with an amazing grace and power! No, I'm much more concerned about the pot farms in the woods, and the scum which inhabit them.

13. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Of all the times that I have been in the woods fishing, you guys are starting to scare me. I heard one up on Pilchuck Creek one time. If you have never heard a cougar cry, when you hear one you will just know. I fished for a little while but it's bawling made me leave. It sounded like it was right next to me. Scared the bejebbers out of me.

Now I ride my Quad in the woods and now after reading this I'll probably start looking both ways when out riding. I keep thinking of a side arm. But I don't like guns that much. And besides the people that I ride with are well heeled.

The trouble with Montana is that when you step out your door you are almost alone in the woods. There are bears, Cougars, and there is the Wolf.

Jim

14. montnative

montnative born and raised in the Beartooths

Rent a donkey, they kill cougs.:rofl:

15. 2506

2506 Active Member

I've been in some of the most remote country in Oregon, Idaho, and Washington over the last 30 years or so chasing elk, deer, and other game. To this day, the most I've seen is cat tracks. You'll be fine.