Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Moving to Fort Collins, Co

1K views 18 replies 18 participants last post by  dcslick 
#1 ·
Hello,

I just took a a new job in Fort Collins, Colorado. I am moving from Sandpoint next week and plan on going through Montana and Wyoming. I was planning on taking my time and fishing on my way down but not sure where and if there are any decent areas to fish this time of year. Any suggestions on where to fish between Sandpoint and Fort Collins this time of year? Also I will be towing a small uhaul trailer so I will not be able to do to much off roading. I haven't had a lot of time to research but I have heard there is good fishing in and around the Fort Collins areas, any suggestions on where to go once I am settled in?

Thank you!!
DC

#6 ·
You could spend the next month just fishing the streams in the Dillon, MT area. Hope your job pays well in Ft. Collins. Tis a lot higher cost of living than north Idaho. When you get settled, start research the Roaring Fork and the Frying Pan over by Basalt, CO. Some dandy water that can be fished year round. Good luck.

#8 ·
Fish the Miracle Mile on the North Platte, ......but bring very warm clothes. Great fishing and big trout and the right time of year.

Next stop in Walden, CO and fish the local lakes for a day or two if they are open and ice free. Big trout and multiple species. April is a good time. WIND! When I moved to CO it was the first water I fished within hours of crossing the border. I had a small U-Haul trailer on the back of my car and camped on the shore of one of the several Blue Ribbon lakes.

Finally drive along the Poudre and try it out on your way into Fort Fun. Smaller trout but a local favorite.

I loved living in the area and was sad to move away (until I learned about WA saltwater fly fishing).

#9 ·
You'll enjoy getting to know the Poudre. My uncle lives in Ft. Collins and it's always a good time visiting the area and fishing with him. Great town too, and good access to lots of good fisheries. Enjoy the water rights drama of the region!

#14 ·
FOCO is a great town. Hit St. Pete's fly shop. Its pricey, but just a cool place and the guys know what's up. Jax is good for cheaper stuff. If you pass through Laramie, the West Laramie Fly Shop has info on what's biting what where. The plains lakes up there produce some chunky fish. You will have no shortage of opportunities, that's for sure!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.