Mt Rainier Tragedy Opens Nonsense Debate

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Desolate, Jan 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. generic

generic Active Member

Those little crab flies I hear are best. They are killer, but getting them to land upright is the key. I'm not kidding Ira. I have not fished for them, but know someone who has - that was the ticket.

Now where's my chicken!

2. Dustin Bise

Dustin Bise Active Member

about 100 miles north

3. bennysbuddy

bennysbuddy the sultan of swing

Now I've heard everything!! What kind of fly do you use to catch crabs ? Ira, are you going to have a seminar on fly fishing for crabs soon ....

4. Nick Clayton

Nick Clayton Active Member

Can you catch crabs with a vertical presentation?

5. generic

generic Active Member

You don't fish for the crabs silly. You use a crab fly. Come on man :p

6. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Gun control laws mean nothing to those out of control. This tragedy will be used as leverage. I hate that such attempts will be made. Unfortunatley our society is one that seizes opportunity, right, wrong or indifferent.

We voice our opinions here often, and we don't always agree. No sense in getting nasty over our differences.

7. Klickrolf

Klickrolf Active Member

Suspect this means PT was correct, are you collecting or planning to collect a nice fat publically funded retirement dryflylarry? Are your opinions publically funded support suggestions? Assuming so you might consider stifeling your opportunistic oral orifice.

Dryflylarry, as a public employee you must realize all your opinions are bought and paid for by US, the taxpayers who've provided your paychecks. We paid you for your opinions...too bad you can't see it.

8. fifafu

fifafu Guest

Hey Mumbles if this is a place to voice our opinon why are people hijacking this thread to change the subject? Is this a common tactic here? It's a douchebag move everywhere else on the internet is it considered a douchebag move here as well?

Thanks Ed I see you have 13,000 posts maybe you can help me decypher ettiquette here I'm fairly new.

9. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Tense topics sometimes can divide a group. Gun control laws is a pretty hot topic whenever it comes up. I hate to see it come up opportunitically on the heels of this tragedy. Regardless, it is the elephant in the room, no matter what the hijack attempt. Sometimes I think a distraction is a good idea. Somtimes I'm not so sure. Sorry, I'm likely unable to decipher it further because I've stood on both sides of the hijack fence. I do not believe that laws against guns can realistically be enforced. I do not belive that laws against guns in some areas prevent gun crimes. I do not think any law had any bearing on the actions of this disturbed young man and the horrible impact he's caused to this family and those close to them.

10. gearhead

gearhead Active Member

i don't know why all you dumb peckerwood white rednecks are giving the anti gun guys such a hard time, they want to live in a society that they feel is safe and secure, and guns only prevent that from happening. if they dont want to protect themselves, their woman, or even their children, rather letting and depending on somebody they dont know, to do it for them, that is: provided they are given a time out by a violent man, to call for help and can stay alive for the next 3 to 30 minutes it will take to get help, well.......let them.:D

11. lylelovett666

lylelovett666 Active Member

LOUD NOISES!

12. lylelovett666

lylelovett666 Active Member

Just read an article on Guns.com about accidental gun Deaths and firearm-related homicides being at an all-Time low.

13. themaninthemoon

themaninthemoon Just waiting on warmer weather, .......

Well, here's the problem with AK Powder Monkey's statement,
    & that is one of the very facts that he, himself observed, the deranged ex GI is/was, a "trained" killer, as that is exactly what the military trains you to do, they are responsible to train you for the taking of lives of a targeted enemy, even though we veterans are "all" supposed to be expected to return to our society, & behave as if none of the military's training ever took place, with the exception of the value's of discipline, & the knowledge gained through Advanced Infantry Training in our given fields of expertise, &/or, fields of occupation, that we also were taught in the same military that teaches us how to take lives, has most of us vets, very carefully weighing the choices of what is expected to be considered sane, vs insane. Most of us make it, back into civilian life, but some are considered to be rewired/damaged goods, and everyone of us has gone through the process of being changed in our lives by our experiences during the time served in the military. And who is to say who would be the next victim? I was trained to adapt to ever changing scenario's of living, working all day then pulling guard duty three to four nights a week, living in the field under the conditions of warfare, as training for the real thing, & after re-enlisting & moving to the Berlin Bde., I was sent to a 2 week crash course for Explosives & Demolition school, & came out 8th in a class of 200, because I screwed off the whole 1st week. Otherwise I'd have probably been selected #2, as there was 1 guy that had already worked in an EOD outfit, & he was the sharpest of all of us.
    So why would they send a wheel & track vehicle mechanic to such a school? Simple, because if the Russians had decided to invade West Berlin, they had 4 Russian Armored divisions just to the northeast of their section of the divided city, & there would be no need for a mechanic, as our life expectancy would range from 45 minutes to possibly three days, depending on the strength of the assault on the city.

Even though I do not have a stash, or cache of items for equal effects of demolition of a total destruction of targets, there are several other methods of removing/damaging buildings, roads, bridges, train trestles, & water/electric plants, etcetera. I have friends that work in the drug task force here & there across the nation that I have spoken with, & gave warnings for targets of easy access. I know when, where, & how I would do a city/metropolitan area, or region, because if you can shut down, or even have your enemy lock down a city of any size for very long, you can instill a real threat of safety. So I spread the word to a few of them as to what they should also be looking for, in case of another terrorist attack.
    And I am only one person, not a team of anarchist's/terrorists. One person on a given mission could have the ability to shut down a city the size of Chicago in a week's time, as it would take that long to place detrimental objects of destruction in a manner that would stop any traffic in/out of, or through the city, because of its make-up of having many interconnecting interstates coinciding at certain given junctions. And you would have to go many miles to bypass the city because of the very design of it's infrastructure, which would not only seal off the city effectively, but also interrupt traffic flow of freight, goods, & services throughout the country for days, if not weeks.

It is something that has to be considered, but hopefully common sense will prevail in the political arena in the area of the carrying of weapons, anywhere, not just in NP's. The 2nd amendment is not an outdated piece of literature, & should not be treated as if it is an archaic, useless piece of legislation. It was mandated by the forefathers of our nation to be a source of last resort force, in the protection of it's citizens, their rights, & for the procurement of food.
    A sharpened pencil can become just as deadly of a weapon, @ close range, as a fully automatic weapon.

Just my 2 cents, John E. Osman III

14. Upton O

Upton O Blind hog fisherman

Home Page:
    Shit, you drifted this crap in front of me long enough. The quote that comes to mind is the reference to Rosie O'Donnel and her anti-gun stance:

"blaming violence on guns is the same as blaming being fat on spoons."

It's all about behavior.

15. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

Coming from Rosie this really packs some weight........:clown:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.