Mtn. lakes report

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by PETI, Jul 31, 2006.

1. PETI

PETI Member

Never been much on reports, not what I'm here for. I'm more of an applications/installations type than location. But must admit, I never let a report slide by and file the info away for future reference. So anyway, I'll try this for awhile, to give a bit back. For those of you that have fished the waters, you'll recognise them and have an idea of what's happening. For those of you that don't, get off your a$$ and do some exploring.

First stop I couldn't do more than a couple of bumps, 4-5 hours, 10+ flies nothing, nada. Tail between my leggs packed up and moved to lake #2.

[​IMG]

Hooked up almost immediately, solid fish, LDR. A short while later hooked up again, this one landed a nice 16" brown.

[​IMG]

Slow for the next 1-2 hours, fly switching, shore break, navel contemplation. Tie the partridge & orange with a small olive hares ear dropper, one of my favorite mtn. lake combo's Then the same sequence, hook up, LDR. Hook up, 16" brown to the hand. While this going on I'm watching the only other fisher on the lake out of the eye in the back of my head. In the space of 45 min. I see him land and creel at least 4 fish and it was probably more, that third eye isn't all that reliable. My ego is cat poop. What is he doing right, what am I doing wrong? Can't tell if he's using dry's or sub surface patterns. Can see he's using a dry line, peach. About that time I see him headed up the hill, crashing through the woods headed back to his car I suppose. After about 2 very long min. I bury my pride next to my ego and move over to cast to the same water.
    First cast nice brown, real tugger. Just about every cast, once I was into position to hit the same water, another fish all but one(brookie) browns. The largest measured was 19" , but a couple easily exceeded that.

[​IMG]
    Near sunset unburied and washed off my pride and ego and headed for home, redemption.
    [​IMG]

Peter

2. klintd

klintd Member

Good post, nice pics, looks like a great lake. I have been doing a bit of exploring but have yet to find a lake that produces browns like that one. Nice find!

3. Rory McMahon

Rory McMahon Active Member

Home Page:
    IS that Mt. Adams?

4. PETI

PETI Member

"IS that Mt. Adams?"

Yep.

5. John Dougher

John Dougher Member

Nice post; reminds me of a place that I used to fish in Mississippi.

6. PETI

PETI Member

Was that before or after they asked you to leave?:p

7. Jim Wallace

Jim Wallace Smells like low tide.

Cranberry Country...a glorified coastal swamp!
    Awesome, PETI. Great photos and fascinating report.:thumb:

tippet2, Mississippi???? You got kicked outa Mississippi? Hell, you can fish with me anyday!:cool:

8. John Dougher

John Dougher Member

It was only a “suggestion” from the local authorities that I search for greener pastures.
    PETI, would you care to share your story regarding your last few days in Louisiana? I’m sure that others would like to hear it.

9. PETI

PETI Member

Well, only because it was on of the funniest lines I've ever heard. So funny that I remember it verbatim 32 years later. Uttered by one of the finest members of the local gestapo. " Boy, I'm gonna think bout this over the weekend, but if I were you, I'd take my Yankee a$$ back on up noth".
    Of course it wasn't so funny at the time.
    In three days I packed and re-packed my Volvo wagon, with the help of neighbor/landlord farmer built a trailer for my motorcycle and held a party to give away what I couldn't carry and hadn't been stolen by the aforementioned goose stepper, and then hit the road leaving only a dust trail (and a lot of good friends/people) in my wake.

:cool:

10. Kyle Sponholtz

Kyle Sponholtz TroutSlayer

I can't see the pics. Am I doing something wrong, whats the deal?

11. PETI

PETI Member

Sorry, can't help you there, I'm a techno-resistant.

P.

12. hookjaw24

hookjaw24 New Member

Dang, nice mess 'O them thar trat!!! Jus bin polishin ma spoons, got a string nice and pretty like-clackers on 'em and all. What color pork trailer y"all usin? Hedin' up this weekend, want to make sure I got whats killin 'em!!!

13. PETI

PETI Member

"Dang, nice mess 'O them thar trat!!! Jus bin polishin ma spoons, got a string nice and pretty like-clackers on 'em and all. What color pork trailer y"all usin? Hedin' up this weekend, want to make sure I got whats killin 'em!!!
    08-01-2006 01:50 PM "

I refer your redneck excerement eliminator to the above quote from the other fine southern gentleman:

" Boy, I'm gonna think bout this over the weekend, but if I were you, I'd take my Yankee a$$ back on up noth".:ray1:

P.:p

14. gigharborflyfisher

gigharborflyfisher Native Trout Hunter

Home Page:
    Nice report and nice pics!!

15. Capt. Awesome

Capt. Awesome Member

That's too bad you didn't catch any fish at that first lake... I've fished it before and didn't do so hot, but I've heard from persons- who are better stillwater fishers than I- that there are large brookies to be had if you know how to fish for them. Early mornings are the ticket if I recall.

BTW, I hope you didn't scrape up your rig too bad getting down to it...

Second- just a hunch, but if that second lake is what I think it is, and I'm pretty sure that it is due to the pic of Mt. Adams and where it was taken from, I'm surprised you didn't catch any cutthroat. I really want to know what that guy was using too- baetis nymphs? I've seen epic baetis hatches on that lake- and a few hexagenia too...