"Muddy" Tasting Trout - Why?

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by Gregg Lundgren, Jan 20, 2011.

1. Steve Call

Steve Call Active Member

Scott's recipe omitted the importance of using of old boots. If you use new boots (less than 5 years) the fish will take on a strong leather taste. Older boots, preferably 10+ years and resoled twice, will impart a more delicate aroma that many believe is reminiscent of a fine French wine after it has been used to embalm large rodents. Newer boots (3 to 5 years) can be used if soaked in buttermilk for two weeks.

2. Chef

Chef New Member

duck.... I love duck. We just did duck two days ago. Yesterday we did sweetbreads (thymus gland) and rabbit.

3. scottflycst

scottflycst Active Member

I love hausenpheffer too! It's been a spell though. Need to go over the hump and bring a few home.
    What's you fav method of cooking them?

4. Lex Story

Lex Story Angler, Gastronomist, Artist, Jarhead, Geek

I learned a way of taking the rabbit saddles and rolling up the chopped kidneys of the rabbit in that and then wrapping the entire roll of that in my home made pancetta. Wrapping all of that in caul fat and pan searing in a cast iron skillet with a little duck fat and finishing in the oven, being careful not to overshoot and overcook (around 10 minutes) let rest; and serve this roulade sliced on mixed greens wetted with a vibrant vinaigrette.

5. Chef

Chef New Member

not too bad lex. Sounds good. I took the skin of the rabbit off the saddle, pounded it out and then took the tenderloin meat and the rest of the saddle meat, ground it up and made a ballontine with it. Rolled it, tied it, seared, finished in the oven and made a simple beurre noir with sage, thyme and a little jalapeno.Yummmmmm.....

To be honest, the skin, compated to chicken, is pretty damn tough.

6. Lex Story

I forgot to mention, I make crisscross shallow cuts in the skin to prevent the tough condition that you mention. This also prevents the connective tissue in the skin from curling the roulade once it starts to cook.
    Rabbit farce with dried currants and apple made into a sausage is another good way of preparation.

7. Chef

Chef New Member

damn... must try that next time. Breaking down a whole lamb next week.

8. Steve Call

Steve Call Active Member

Damn! You guys are making me hungry! You are obviously both outstanding chefs.

9. fishingcheftim

fishingcheftim Member

Hey Chef, Do you actually let the students break down the lamb? I'll think about you breaking one down, while I enjoy; Lamb Shanks with Truffled Creamy Polenta and a Nice Barolo and friends tonight.
    Boun Appetito

10. Lex Story

Another chef monikered guy, sweet! When I attended school I remember when I had to fab out a entire lamb, but that was after finished my proteins class. You don't want a noob ruining a whole animal.Are you using truffle salt, butter or oil for your polenta? I was down at DeLaurenti at Pike market today and picked up some intense truffle butter. I'm going to use it with on some poached duck eggs and fried grits.

11. fishingcheftim

fishingcheftim Member

Some Oregon truffles, some oil I picked up this past fall in Alba and lamb shanks from a buddy that raises them. guests coming soon.

12. Irafly

Irafly Indi "Ira" Jones

This thread is really making me regret my two slices of Alfy's cheese pizza for dinner.

Ira..

13. TD

TD Active Member

Amen.

The most creative I get is blackend cajun salmon in a ceasar salad. Most of the stuff mentioned in these posts I have no idea what they are; let alone how to pronounce them.

14. Chef

Chef New Member

TD: lets just say i know you would like it. :)

15. Irafly

Irafly Indi "Ira" Jones

When are we all comming over for dinner you chef masters? Keep talking like this and I might be tempted to fish for fish that I'm more likely to keep.

Ira..