My 2007 hunting partner!

Discussion in 'Cast & Blast' started by andrew, Mar 12, 2007.

1. andrew

andrew Active Member

I took advantage of one of the very few moments that wife is "week to my wants" and I managed to convince her that our 20 month old daughter could really use a puppy!

One week later the dog is already "my" dog and the weekness is over and I am facing the "wrath of Angie"! But so worth it!

Libby is such a cool dog...I can't wait to get her into the field this coming season!

Attached Files:

2. Roper

Roper Idiot Savant

Leather couch+Labrador puppy=:eek:

Seriously, great looking puppy:thumb:

3. dominic7471

dominic7471 Member

wow she is a beuty..... she looks like a great hunting partner! Thats what i love about dogs they are loyal till the day you die.... good job shell turn out great! :thumb:

4. andrew

andrew Active Member

Yeah even my daughter is saying "NO" every 5 seconds! Libby is lucky if she is in the living room, but give her 5 seconds of no supervision and she has the whole room torn apart!

5. Jason

Jason Trout Bum

Beautiful Lab pup.

We give our GSP some Goodwill stuffed animals to quench her chewing habit.
    Just make sure you have a shop vac handy. Stuffing everywhere, but it is fun to watch.

6. seekm

seekm chris

great looking pup.

I've got a yellow and a black pointing lab. Both are great hunting partners and fantastic family dogs.

7. FFK

FFK Active Member

great pup, i love labs, mi labs been my partner for 3 years

8. D3Smartie

D3Smartie Active Member

man it seems like a long time since mine was a pup. she and i have had some great times together. She turned 8 over thanksgiving.
    Good luck with yours. As a friend of mine used to say... "she is certainly a fine Looking dog"

9. Kaari White

Kaari White Active Member

Great pup!! She's a keeper. Good luck with her, that first year is wonderful, horrible and magical all at the same time. My lab is turning 5 in May and I really miss having a puppy, but not enough to make me want 2 dogs in my house!

Read as many training books as you can. I highly recommend the 10 Minute Retriever and the Smartworks series.

10. andrew

andrew Active Member

Thanks all...thanks for the info CWUGirl! I've been reading Richard Wolters "Water Dog" and it has been a fun read thus far...especially the 1963 remarks that today would have PETA on your doorstep!

Can anyone tell me when the whinning stops? We've resisted "saving" Libby, but OMG I'd take another colicky infant (which is worse than any Guantanamo prison camp torture) over the whinning! Its been over three weeks and it begins at 6:00 am and won't stop until I get up. When is it alright to place a bark collar on?

Andrew

11. Itchy Dog

Itchy Dog Some call me Kirk Werner

Home Page:
    Great looking pooch- congrats! My lab, Eddie, just turned a year old. I have high expectations for him next year. This year he just sorta watched and learned, although he did retrieve one duck on the opener. Have fun- they grow up fast.

12. Josh Benjamin

Josh Benjamin Member

how long has she been stuck in the house at 6:00am when she starts whining?? maybe she has to pee. how old is she? and why do you want to put a bark collar on her?
    thats a great looking pup.
    i second or third or whatever reading as many training books as possible. the Wolters books are good.
    you might try putting a dirty tee short or sock with her to keep her from whining, she'll smell you and it will calm her down... are you crate training?
    sorry for all the blah blah blah but when mine was a pup, he was a big whiner and we got him quieted down pretty easy.

13. Kaari White

Kaari White Active Member

That Wolter's book was the first training book I ever read. As long as you don't take the time table too seriously, it's an OK book to start with.

At 6am, she has to go out! You're lucky she sleeps in that long!! My last puppy didn't sleep through the night until he was 5 months old. He was the most difficult dog I've ever had to house train- the smartest in other ways.

An important lesson for her to learn is that there is no reward for coming out of the crate. Never praise, hug, welcome a puppy when you take them out of a crate. It sounds cruel, especially when they're so cute, but if you don't make any fuss out of coming out of the crate, they won't think it's a big deal to be away from you. And the whining will subside (as long as she doesn't need to use the bathroom!).

14. TyMarrs

TyMarrs New Member

Great pup! I've had my 6 m.o. for about 4 months now. We kennel trained him by putting him in there with Kong toys lined with peanut butter and stuffed with kibble, then frozen. A brain teaser to keep him occupied and to make his kennel his special place where he gets food, chew toys, and a nice comfy bed. When we can't find him around the house, he usually is snoozing in his kennel.

I'm reading Bill Tarrant's "Gun Dog Training" right now. It's kind of a narrative that introduces 10 or so of the top "humane" trainers and explains how they go about it. More about guiding a dog's natural hunting desires, rather than dominating them and forcing them into what you think they should do.

Attached Files:

15. Cliff

Cliff Member

Good look'in pup there! I hunt upland birds with setters, but last weekend a buddy of mine twisted my arm and I hunted a private hunting club near E-Burg. His lab was such a joy to hunt over. I'm a dedicated pointer guy but I still love hunting over labs.