Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

My aluminum boat has a little hole in it that needs welded ...

Boats 
2K views 21 replies 13 participants last post by  NickTIG 
#1 ·
My little Smokercraft 14' aluminum boat has a wee hole in the bottom, I'm guessing maybe 1/16", and it needs sealed/fixed. My dad tells me, because the metal is so thin, that it should be fixed by someone handy with a Mig or Tig welder.

Does anyone here know anyone that can do this work for me? I'm in the north Seattle (Northgate) area, but obviously would travel some distance to get the work done.

Thanks!

#7 ·
I have used two part epoxy to fix small holes in small aluminum boats in the past. Don't remember particular brand names. It worked and was inexpensive.
You talking like standard 2 ton epoxy, like you'd get at the hardware store? How long did the patch last? I use my wee boat out in the Sound, sometimes in pretty rough stuff (like this past weekend and on Monday when there was only one other trailer in the ramp parking lot; eveyrone else was smart enough not to go out...but I had to go out and pick up my crab traps).

#12 ·
The boat I repaired was a 14 foot aluminum and was used as a lake boat and in the lower Skagit. I repaired a series of small holes and leaking rivets with a 2 part aluminum epoxy I bought at a hardware store. This was over 10 or 12 years ago. The repairs lasted several years and were still holding when I sold the boat.

#16 ·
We call 5200 " 52 million " because it's so permanent
It's more flexible than an epoxy product
I just repaired river pigs old woolridge drift boat
We ground and wire brushed to clean material and tig welded the chine guard
Problem is my welder took a crap afterwards
It's at shop now
So if you don't fix it with goo, I can weld it up for you in a couple of weeks
I'm in south sound but there is decent fishing around right now
I'll check in when I get my machine back

#17 ·
I'd listen to your Dad and get it fixed right. The problem with the easy fix solution is that it may fail at the least opportune moment. Plus cleaning the epoxy or whatever off will make a proper repair more difficult.

If you find a good Tig shop please post. I have an aluminum rod rack that I need to get welded and my Tig is stuffed away in storage.

#20 ·
My little Smokercraft 14' aluminum boat has a wee hole in the bottom, I'm guessing maybe 1/16", and it needs sealed/fixed. My dad tells me, because the metal is so thin, that it should be fixed by someone handy with a Mig or Tig welder.

Does anyone here know anyone that can do this work for me? I'm in the north Seattle (Northgate) area, but obviously would travel some distance to get the work done.

Thanks!
im a aerospace gig welder and do welding at my house in remdmond! do you know the grade of aluminum?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.