Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

My First Build. Need Advice.

Rod Building 
745 views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  rapido101 
#1 ·
Hi Folks,

I have a 4-piece, 10', 5-wt Allen Icon blank. I'm going to attempt my first build with this. I've watched several videos on YouTube and have ordered a Flexcoat complete tool kit with the wrapper stands, drying motor, etc.

When I look at images of finished Allen Icon rods, they look like they've been painted a metallic sage green color. My blank is completely unfinished. No paint whatsoever. It's the matte graphite color.

My question is, do I have to paint or varnish the entire blank? Is there even a way to do this? Should I just leave it the way it is and just epoxy coat the guide wraps and other thread wraps?

Thanks for the help.

-Breck

#10 ·
It certainly won't hurt the blank at all being unpainted. Plus I actually the "stealth" look. Did you get it directly from Allen? If you don't care. great If you care, you should be able to return it for a painted blank. An unfinished blank may mean they accidentally sent you one that wasn't finished, it might have been a prototype, or they may not sell painted blanks. I am not sure, but if you got it from Allen you can certainly ask to make sure what you received it what you wanted.

Edit: Sorry, I posted this at the same time you were typing apparently.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.