My first dry fly

zen leecher aka bill w

born to work, forced to fish
One thing that helps with dry flies is to tie the wing in first. Once that "balance" happens the rest seems to fall in line. Lumpy or poorly tapered bodies are probably next and then comes getting the tail right.
The reason I mentioned balance and tying the wings in first is this fly will probably tip forward on its face when fished. It looks like it won't fish right.

Thomas Williams

Habitual Line Stepper
I tied another Adams and the wing was too far back this time. Trying to get the wing right is the hardest part I think. The rest is fairly simple. Do you guys treat your dries with permanent floatant? I was just using payette paste as dubbing wax so its all the way down to the thread.

Sent from my HTC_Amaze_4G using Tapatalk 2

Big E

Try this out.

Mount your hook in the vise and start your thread behind the eye. Wrap to the center of the shank and cut your tag. Now look at the threaded section and divide that in half. Wrap your thread back up the shank to this spot. This will be your tie in point. Tie in the tips, wrapping back down the shank.

Do this every time and you will have consistent wing placement. Adjust to your liking, but always use that 3/4 spot for your reference.

zen leecher aka bill w

born to work, forced to fish
Try this out.

Mount your hook in the vise and start your thread behind the eye. Wrap to the center of the shank and cut your tag. Now look at the threaded section and divide that in half. Wrap your thread back up the shank to this spot. This will be your tie in point. Tie in the tips, wrapping back down the shank.

Do this every time and you will have consistent wing placement. Adjust to your liking, but always use that 3/4 spot for your reference.

There you go!