My First Golden bone!

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by Jay Burman, Aug 22, 2009.

1. grnsparrow32

grnsparrow32 Member

never fished for them but they sound like a blast! lots of articles latley in the fly mags about them.

2. Jay Burman

Jay Burman Experienced Ne'r do well and Layabout.

On which side of the Columbia is Buckshot Ranch? Also, what is Buckshot Ranch? Is it a public park, a landmark? Is there a sign to indicate it's location?

3. Rod Sand

Rod Sand Member

Buckshot ranch was named because of all the shotgun hunters during duck and goose season ,Can't recall the road #but it's the same road you take as your going to Lenice and the other lakes on crab creek.It's also the boat launch for Priest Rapid Dam.It's not that far once you get to Desert Aire,But it's got some great backwater.I use to wade out and shoot carp buy the hundreds when I use to archery hunt,but now all I do is catch them on the fly.

4. Jay Burman

Thanks for the intel. How safe is my car at Buckshot Ranch? Can I see my rig from where I fish? Someone was telling me that the car break in situation is pretty intense there. What's your opinion?:confused:

5. ceviche

ceviche Active Member

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Japanese Fish Cakes. Gotta have that disgusting pink food dye and the wood plank to do it right. Nothing like Nikkei fish humor. :thumb:

--Dave E.

6. Rod Sand

Rod Sand Member

You might be able to watch your rig from certain backwaters,I've never heard of a break-ins down there,but that doesn't mean it doesn't happen.I've never had it happen to me.I've camped down there and never had a problem,It's way off the beaten path.

7. Rev Trout

Rev Trout Rev Trout

Had a game warden tell me that I didn't want to be there after dark. Lots of Drug deal issues & stuff.

8. suckegg

suckegg Active Member

Been some nasty stuff go down this year in the greater Mattawa area. Turf wars... :beathead:... it appears more than one party wants to be King of Mattawa etc. :confused:
    I have not heard of a single incident that was not hispanic on hispanic or.... in one case hispanic on indian. It's gangs from Yakima and Tri-cities "expanding.. that's all. I highly doubt "they" will mess with campers etc or caucasians. If you do have the bad luck of a run in with what appear to be "undesirables" do your best to back off. Camp at Desert Aire to play it safe. I wouldn't hesitate to fish the area... just sayin'.. a little knowledge can go a long way.

I haven't heard of recent break ins. Historically Lenice and Buckshot have had break ins though in years past. There are plenty of other carping spots in the area and I never park at Buckshot and actually rarely fish there. Carp can be thick there and bass move in during the spring. I can think of 13 carping spots from I-90 to PR Dam. That article mention both Upper and Lower Crab Creeks, Beverly too. Down either side of the river from I-90 about a 1/2 carp can be found at times. A couple good spots at out in the middle of the river so you need a boat. Way back in the far end on Getty's cove there are some carp.

Buckshot to Desert Aire area:
    Your best bet is to take a little time.. it won't take much to figure this out either. If your new to Buckshot as your proceed through the intersection with the stop sign just before it turns to a gravel road turn right. Drive past the new houses on the right. Look for a dirt road that heads toward the river which you'll be able to see and park on the shoulder of the paved road. That is a safe spot. Walk to river and head to the right. You be walking on shoreline or in the water depend on dam releases. Before you do any of this drive right to Buckshot and pay attention to your left side and the slough and backwaters. You can walk from where I told you to park up to Buckshot by following the shoreline. Now having said that you may find all the carp you want well before you ever get near Buckshot. I am guessing the distance between where you hit the rivers edge after parking and buckshot is a half mile as the crow flies. Next you next to look at google earth before heading out to get a overview of the area because the shoreline curves every which way. You will have to cross a very narrow channel/slough. Early in the year the water could so high you would be brush wackin the whole way and just forget cause we'll never hear from you again if you try that.

Having said all that the carping has been tough down there lately. Water is often to low and the carp AND bass are out in deeper water.

Jay if you want I'll give you the tour since you seem determined in spite of your frustrating first outing earlier this season. Probably be best to do it next.... late spring. PM me if your interested.

9. Trashfisher

Trashfisher Member

I wonder just how many people will fish Buckshot next season now. Suck, you must just have might have ruined one of your best kept secret sweet spots if the place receives a lot of pressure. Carp do respond to fishing pressure and they will absolutely become a lot harder to catch and/or leave to feed elsewhere. Hope this doesn't happen though but if traffic gets high it probably will. It would be a damn shame.

10. suckegg

suckegg Active Member

My best kept secret spots never included Buckshot so I will be able to sleep tonight.

If it was your secret spot I'm sorry, then I owe you one and you can PM for a replacement. Heck I'll give you 3 for 1.

In the future if anyone wants a new place to go carping just PM me as there are plenty in E.W..

When a location is an old public boat launch I am ok sharing it. It seems we talked about the place as far back as 03 at least. It has come up since then too. I was just trying to give a guy a safe parking place and some options for fishing for a non-native or non-threatened species. Maybe I do give info out too freely. I know I earned it the old fashion way.

Your(?) observation that carp respond to pressure is worthy of it's own thread. They are a wily critter that's for sure.

11. Jay Burman

Thanks SuckEgg,
    I'd love to take you up on your offer. Looks like the carping is winding down this year, so I'll start looking for my old pals the the Trout and maybe some Bass if I can find them. Thanks for responding and taking an interest in my quest. Hope to run into you on the water.
    Jay

12. CoastalCutt

CoastalCutt Member

Wow, way to just fuckin throw out some free spots for everyone to see. I guess that one's out of the bag, Goodbye thirteen years of pressure free fly angling!

13. P.Dieter

P.Dieter Just Another Bubba

Home Page:
    [​IMG]

that's OK suck, I'll be your friend.​

:thumb::rofl::thumb:​

14. Connor H

Connor H Bobbers n Beadz

Holy Shit guys,

Wow, you all act as if there are not any carp left in this world! The fact is, carp can be caught in almost every county in washington and next to all major highways. Shut up and leave the guy alone, If you want to catch a carp, drive down the street and take out your fly rod...

15. Trashfisher

Trashfisher Member

You're totally missing the point. Even though there are lots of carp in lots a places, easy wadeable flats access isn't all that common. All we're sayin' is do your homework, go out and explore, find good spots through your own efforts. Doing this kind of legwork weeds out the crowds and keeps flats full of unpressured fish. It also makes the fishing much more rewarding.