My first SRC.

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Reefmeup, Sep 8, 2008.

1. Gary Thompson

Gary Thompson dirty dog

I'll take a couple of pics and post them.

2. Don Freeman

Don Freeman Free Man

Reefme

Cabezon has put you on the right track for local fly shops. Bjorn at the Fly Fisher in Lacey can tie virtually anything you want, but doesn't really specialize in SRC stuff, so he doesn't usually have a lot in stock. He is a true artist, and can make anything you can dream of.

I worked at Fishy Business until they went under to make room for Cabelas and Sportsmans' (sardonic aside). I still provide patterns for a few local guys, so pm me if you wish, but be warned, I'll nudge you forcefully toward using tube flies for SRC's for a number of reasons, principally the good of the fish.

3. Gary Thompson

Gary Thompson dirty dog

Here's some pics a couple of my clousers.
    I'm always open to make improvments.

4. Gary Thompson

Gary Thompson dirty dog

Freedon
    I'm very interested in the tube flies.
    I learn better by looking at pictures as well as the written word.
    Thanks Gary

5. Don Freeman

Don Freeman Free Man

I've just been tying a bunch, so will kodak them this evening, and figure out how to post the jpegs. I just took some shots, clicked on "Insert Image" on the tube bar, and entered Tubes 001 etc. I've never put a picture on this site, so at this point, I'm whistling in the wind. let's see if it works.
    Most of the patterns are on plastic tubes, some of the big ones are on heavy brass for instant sink, and the popper work best on aluminum, since the extra mass makes them a little easier to cast. I must get an good extra meter or so.

One of the reasons I first started using them was because of all the short strikes. I was getting into rezzies and having like 20 missed fish in an outing. They were flossing their teeth chewing on the bucktail, since they take from the tail . A friend turned me onto using stingers, and suddenly I was catching fish.

Then Roger showed me his tube flies, which I found quicker to tie, easier to change the hook, if you break fish off, all they have stuck in them is the hook, no barbells, shank, etc. Plus the flies last forever, since they ride up the line, and you just slide the fly out of the way, and there is your hook exposed for your release tool or hemostat. If they're hooked deep, you cut off the hook, and you still have your fly, and this has a better chance of survival.[​IMG][/IMG][/IMG]

Roger Stephens has posted a lot of really good info on tubes here over the years

6. Don Freeman

Don Freeman Free Man

Well, that was obviously a bust. Anyone want to hold my liver spotted old hand and talk me through the drill, I've got 3 mediocre pictures on my desk top that I'll share.

7. jcnewbie

jcnewbie Member

Appears you have the same level of computer skills as I, Freedon :(....just one of many things in life that I'm not very skilled at -- like fly fishing! :beathead:

As one liver-spotted old hand to another, tight lines!:beer2:

Jc:)

8. Philster

Philster Active Member

Hey Mumbles. when your fly is close enough to see try changing your rod tip location and see how much your fly changes direction. You gotta pretty much throw some line, I think the kids call it "mending" to actually change the direction your fly travels in. when it's close in laying your rod at ninety degree angle can buy some direction change, but when it's far out, even that does diddly... Not trying to rain on your parade. Play around a little and you'll find some tricks, but what you described won't do much...

9. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Philster, I actually do a small roll mend in the line. I also swap hands so my rod goes from 90 degrees out on my left to 90 out on the right. I try to really open the gap to actuall make it do something. I know moving your rod tip a few inches at the tip is next to no movement at the fly. It is the opposite of a golf shot. Errant shot 3 degrees right at impact is waythehell out of bounds to the right at touchdown. Good looking out for my stupid ass though, thanks. Generally I'll try one retrive, change, change, change, sometimes I'll vary things on each retrive of the fly. Sometimes I catch fish, sometimes they follow, sometimes I get to cast again without any nasty fish slime on my hands.

10. Steven Green

Steven Green Hood Canal Pirate

When I change rod tip direction I put some extra force into it and it has moved the fly enough in my case. Some days thats the only way to get a strike. Maybe the fly is not sharply zig zagging back and forth but rather making s curves through the water. Either case, it seems to work ok.

11. ak_powder_monkey

ak_powder_monkey Proud to Be Alaskan

Two words for you Gary, Eye Balls

12. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

AK PM, I think Gary is weighting the body and trying to make a smoother casting baitfish imitator that does not have the bulky eyes.

13. Philster

Philster Active Member

Steven an Mumbles. If you're getting the movement you want cool. Just don't want any new folks thinking that if you move your rod tip 5 feet over either way your fly is going to serpentine its way back to you. Heh Heh. The Inlaws... Heh Heh... "Serpentine! Serpentine!" Heh Heh:p

14. jcnewbie

jcnewbie Member

Dang it all! Because I don't know zip about the subject (fly fishing), I have been relying on the swell info provided herein (this here forum) and did not know that merely moving your rod tip around would NOT affect the action of the fly in water :hmmm:!! This of course is complicated further by the fact that I can not actually "see" any of my flies since they are underwater and at a distance of 15-60 feet (on a good day!) and still have not experienced the sheer joy of fishing or catching anything on anybodys popper anyhow. I still haven't decided on what/which floating line to use despite all the talk on the subject provided herein.....duhhh :confused: !!

As you suggest Philster, this would depend somewhat on the distance from the rod tip to the fly - would this not also depend on the current, the wind, how you hold your mouth, have you pee'd recently, the angle of your rod tip to the current, the forces applied to the changing of the rod tip such as sudden, sharp, powerful, slow, deliberate, smooth etc. etc....how many variables are there anyhoo?

Not trying to be a smart-ass here (although it does come naturally :rolleyes:), it's just that I'm in this "Black Hole of Knowledge" and don't enough time left to discover all the elements necessay for sucessful (relative term) results on my own - neither can I afford the gas or time to explore every square foot of beach or find a decent place to fish! bawling:, or try every rod, line, reel & fly out there! I pretty much rely on youse guys for guidance.....:)

Just trying to glean as much info as possible in the shortest amount of time - aren't we all?

Jc :beathead:

15. Gary Thompson

Gary Thompson dirty dog

Freedon
    To post a picture off the desk top go to the (Go Advanced) and click then you will see on the lower part of the page (Manage Attachments) click on that, go to the browse in the little window, that will show you your desk top icons (pics) double click on your pic.
    I hope that works for you.
    Gary