Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

My first SRC.

4K views 54 replies 14 participants last post by  jcnewbie 
#1 ·
SO I found a beach that doesnt get fished. Big cutts everywhere. I was fishing a blue and white bait fish pattern. He was only about 12'' but its my first saltwater catch on my fly rod. Yippe for me babby. Those things are like missles coming up out the water, very exciting.:thumb:

:beathead:I found it difficult to cast the heavy fly but i got the hang of it. :ray1:Any suggestions for retrieval? Maybe everyone could tell me how they strip it? :ray1:

#2 ·
Quick steady, slow steady, twitchy, change rod tip location for changes in direction, strip strip pause strip strip pause. Any and all can work.

And most of all, congratulations.

#23 ·
Hey Mumbles. when your fly is close enough to see try changing your rod tip location and see how much your fly changes direction. You gotta pretty much throw some line, I think the kids call it "mending" to actually change the direction your fly travels in. when it's close in laying your rod at ninety degree angle can buy some direction change, but when it's far out, even that does diddly... Not trying to rain on your parade. Play around a little and you'll find some tricks, but what you described won't do much...

#3 ·
Nice work on the first fish. Lately I have been using a fast to really fast retrieve. They have really slammed it HARD. All of what Mumbles has mentioned work, it all depends whats on the end of the line. Im no master at this game. I stay away from clousers most of the time. I hate casting them, and really hate them hitting my rod tip. My go to right now is something that is sub surface. Shock n awe??? or even a little Chum baby??? You get the point. Now welcome to the addiction of Sea runs. Only 4 more working days then I can hit the salt.:thumb:

#6 ·
cabelas and Sportsmans are not fly shops....

What you can try is an unweighted baitfish pattern (like a deciever) with a Rainy's dink foam head slipped onto your leader. its essentially the same thing as a popper/slider but two parts instead of one.
Next time you head up north visit Anil and Clark at Puget Sound Fly Co and they can get you set up to have some fun with floating patterns.

#7 ·
cabelas and Sportsmans are not fly shops....

What you can try is an unweighted baitfish pattern (like a deciever) with a Rainy's dink foam head slipped onto your leader. its essentially the same thing as a popper/slider but two parts instead of one.
Next time you head up north visit Anil and Clark at Puget Sound Fly Co and they can get you set up to have some fun with floating patterns.
Sad to say they are now the closest thing I have to a fly shop.bawling: I would also have to say they are extremely lacking in the fly department. Even though at SMW the price is sure right. Thanks next time im up north I will have to swing in there.

#8 ·
Fishy Business
2415 Harrison Ave
Olympia, WA 98502
360-352-0383

This from a listing search on the WWW as posted on the WFFF. Listed as a guide service, I'm sure someone there can tell you where to get the goods locally (maybe they will tell you to go to Cabelas.)

#11 ·
To update the fly shop situation in the Olympia area, Streamside closed several years ago and Fishy Business about a year or so ago. The only dedicated shop in the area that I know of is

The Fly Fisher
5622 Pacific Avenue SE
LACEY, WA 98503-1271
360-491-0181

Of course, a number of the shops in western Washington are happy to ship whatever you need. For saltwater flyfishing, I recommend both

Puget Sound Fly Co.
25616 Pacific Hwy. S.
KENT, WA 98032
253-839-4119

and

Orvis Bellevue
10223 NE 10th
(425) 452-9138

Steve

#13 ·
Congrats on your first SRC.
I feel like I'm really missing out on some great fishing, but I can't seem to get my mind around heading to the wet side. Too many crazy people driving around.
Congrats also on finding a beach to yourself.
I've been tieing a clouser without the dumbbell eyes for fishing in the Bahamas.
I have been using wire to weight the fly and tieing the fur/feathers so the hook rides upright.
Send me a PM and I'll tie ya up some, maybe we can do a trade os some kind.

#14 ·
Gary, I'd like to see those. I've been considering a clouser type fly without the barbell eyes too. Streamlined with the lead wrapped might make casting better? Anyone know?

#17 ·
Reefme

Cabezon has put you on the right track for local fly shops. Bjorn at the Fly Fisher in Lacey can tie virtually anything you want, but doesn't really specialize in SRC stuff, so he doesn't usually have a lot in stock. He is a true artist, and can make anything you can dream of.

I worked at Fishy Business until they went under to make room for Cabelas and Sportsmans' (sardonic aside). I still provide patterns for a few local guys, so pm me if you wish, but be warned, I'll nudge you forcefully toward using tube flies for SRC's for a number of reasons, principally the good of the fish.

#20 ·
I've just been tying a bunch, so will kodak them this evening, and figure out how to post the jpegs. I just took some shots, clicked on "Insert Image" on the tube bar, and entered Tubes 001 etc. I've never put a picture on this site, so at this point, I'm whistling in the wind. let's see if it works.
Most of the patterns are on plastic tubes, some of the big ones are on heavy brass for instant sink, and the popper work best on aluminum, since the extra mass makes them a little easier to cast. I must get an good extra meter or so.

One of the reasons I first started using them was because of all the short strikes. I was getting into rezzies and having like 20 missed fish in an outing. They were flossing their teeth chewing on the bucktail, since they take from the tail . A friend turned me onto using stingers, and suddenly I was catching fish.

Then Roger showed me his tube flies, which I found quicker to tie, easier to change the hook, if you break fish off, all they have stuck in them is the hook, no barbells, shank, etc. Plus the flies last forever, since they ride up the line, and you just slide the fly out of the way, and there is your hook exposed for your release tool or hemostat. If they're hooked deep, you cut off the hook, and you still have your fly, and this has a better chance of survival.

Roger Stephens has posted a lot of really good info on tubes here over the years

#22 ·
Appears you have the same level of computer skills as I, Freedon :(....just one of many things in life that I'm not very skilled at -- like fly fishing! :beathead:

As one liver-spotted old hand to another, tight lines!:beer2:

Jc:)

#24 ·
Philster, I actually do a small roll mend in the line. I also swap hands so my rod goes from 90 degrees out on my left to 90 out on the right. I try to really open the gap to actuall make it do something. I know moving your rod tip a few inches at the tip is next to no movement at the fly. It is the opposite of a golf shot. Errant shot 3 degrees right at impact is waythehell out of bounds to the right at touchdown. Good looking out for my stupid ass though, thanks. Generally I'll try one retrive, change, change, change, sometimes I'll vary things on each retrive of the fly. Sometimes I catch fish, sometimes they follow, sometimes I get to cast again without any nasty fish slime on my hands.

#30 ·
Freedon
To post a picture off the desk top go to the (Go Advanced) and click then you will see on the lower part of the page (Manage Attachments) click on that, go to the browse in the little window, that will show you your desk top icons (pics) double click on your pic.
I hope that works for you.
Gary

#31 ·
ak pm
I have not tried the glue on eyes yet.
I watched how it was applied and it seemed kinda funky.
I'm thinking about a feather like jungle cock or some thing else that looks like and eye.
Just fun trying (tieing) new things.
I'm always amazed when I catch fish on some fly I made up.

I'm going to be gone for a week of fly fishing in Montana, I'll post a report and pics when I get back and we can work on the tube flies and others.
Gary

#32 ·
Philster, also when I'm using my sharkskin, it floats very well and if I roll/mend my line outward from the current retrieve path the mended portion of line actually causes the rest of the line to track to that point. I see your point well, and guess that I've been doing that but simplified it by calling it moving my tip. I have tried it with my intermediate and sinking lines, but neither seem to redirect the line on the retrieve as much, if at all.

#33 ·
Hi there! This is maybe off subject, but wanted to put this out there..

If you are specifically targeting SRC, please use a fairly small hook:thumb:

Large hooks tend to swing in the mouth area and can slash the tar out of our beloved buggers.

A smaller hook has less of an arch when they do swing and generally do less damage the fish's mouth.

Thanks!

Metro

#35 ·
That's one of the things I like about this place. Even when people aren't thinking of these things, all you have to do is plant a little seed, sit back, and watch folks start analyzing and coming up with solutions...
Thanks you, sir....quite the "gardener" you are Sunshi.., er, I mean Philster! :rofl:

Jc

#39 ·
I am a gardener. I do it for selfish reasons. I've had many solutions to problems I couldn't solve presented to me by people here. Lots of my socalled "wisdom" is really just a cry for help! I wish I was kidding.

#36 ·
unless you throw huge mends when the fly is quite close for a last minute spark of interest, but even then you're disturbing the water so much you'll probably put most followers off! It's actually quite depressing if you think about it too much
Actually, everything is depressing if I think about too much........I've noticed that even my casting improves when I don't think about it too much....doh!!:beathead::beathead:

Jc

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.