My Perilous Blue Steelhead Fly

Discussion in 'Patterns' started by Jim Kaiserman, Jan 19, 2008.

1. I formerly posted this on the Fly Fishing side of this web site but finally got to looking around and found that this site is where I should have posted this fly. I tie a lot of trout and steelhead nymph patterns and finally thought I'd try swinging flies for steelhead this fall. I did the usual of looking at thousands of patterns and tied up numerous ones that appealed to me and hopefully the fish. One of them that appealed to me was the Purpil Peril but was messing around with different materials and ended up with what i call the Perilous Blue.

Whether or not I can "claim" the name or the pattern is unknown to me but I've not seen it elsewhere or the name being used. I have not efforted tirelessly either in attempting to find that out so hopefully anyone out there that says "it" either the name or the fly is there's....whatever.

I tied my first one in early October last fall and used it on about October 7th on the Salmon River near Whitebird, Idaho. The first day I fished about 5 hours and nothing. On the second day about 4 casts into the day swinging it I about had the rod yanked out of my hand! 32", 10 to 12 lb wild fish. First one swinging flies and now I'm hooked. I've caught lots of fish nymphing but that take was unbelievable. Went back up for 3 days just before Christmas and caught 3 in 3 days. Two of which were on this. I gave some to a friend that lives up there and he's caught a number of them on this fly late this fall and winter. One interesting note about this is that all but one fish we've caught with it were wild. Any theories?

I'm hoping that a few of you will tie some up and try them out. let me know if they worked for you. When you put this in the water the colors just seem to leap out...especially the blue flashabou.

Jim Kaiserman

2. Clint F

Clint F Fly Fishing Youth

Home Page:
    Beautiful fly.

Clint

3. Brad Nickel

Brad Nickel New Member

Home Page:
    Are you willing to supply the recipe? I am venturing into the swing fly area myself and I really think this is a great one to add to the fly box, being that it has had success.