Mystery reel, mystery owner . . .

Discussion in 'Bamboo, Fiberglass & Classic Reels' started by Kent Lufkin, Jun 27, 2011.

1. Kent Lufkin

Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

Dunno. Since we have no idea who even made the reel or when, there's no way to determine anything else other than making semi-educated guesses based on what's engraved on it and who it's owner was.

K

2. _WW_

_WW_ Fishes with Wolves

Hey Kent, is there anymore news on this? It seemed like you might have been closing in on the maker.

3. Kent Lufkin

Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

Sadly, no news about who may have made the reel. Unfortunately, all the folks with firsthand knowledge of The Record Breaker are now dead. So now the goddam reel just sits here on my desk, taunting me.

Don Champion in North Carolina has fabricated replacement springs for the reel which should be winging their way to me by early next week. With them in hand, I can then reassemble it and when I pick it up to think about things and idly turn the handle, at least then it'll click.

I've connected with Doc's youngest daughter Liz who is graciously helping me reconstruct a timeline of where he was at various points in his life. With that as a baseline, I can then start to piece together when he may have started making his own reels. The real guts of the story though are gonna have to wait until I'm in Boise next and can actually visit Liz and examine Doc's own reels in person. I plan to take plenty of pics and then that will become the basis for the story, instead of The Record Breaker. The only firm date I have for our next visit is at Christmas.

K

4. Be Jofus G

Be Jofus G Banned or Parked

It's not uncommon for competition engine builders from that generation to save pistons as trophies. I've seen a lot stranger things made out of old pistons and engraved. I had an neighbor who had 8 beer mugs with custom blown glass made out of his dragster's pistons that broke a couple track records. His favorite passtime was drinking beer. Maybe "Doc Jones" did the same? That ledge and the odd circle pattern make me think of a groove for rings and an attempt to increase surface area. Solid aluminum blocks aren't cheap.

5. Be Jofus G

Be Jofus G Banned or Parked

Get the metal tested. Find out what grade of aluminum it is.