Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Naches on friday

1K views 29 replies 8 participants last post by  Naches Sportsman 
#1 ·
Heading over to Naches on early Friday morning and plan on spending entire day there. Just curious if it's better to be closer to the town of Naches this time of year or up near Cliffdell...

Either way, plan on doing a LOT of walking/wading/casting...

Thanks.

#5 ·
Check out the Squaw Rock Resort. I've eaten in the restaurant, but never stayed there. I think they have cabins and camp sites. I don't think they have a web site, but their listed number is 509-658-2800.

https://plus.google.com/105048490847036062603/about?gl=us&hl=en

You might check Whistlin Jack's, but I would guess they are pretty pricey this time of year. Otherwise, you should have no problem finding a place to pitch a tent on a Thursday night.

Also, and I apologize for the hijack, did anyone out there go to Chinook Fest last year (chinookfest.com) ? I laughed when I heard there was a music festival at Jim Sprick Park, but it actually looks like a good time and might make for a fun music/fishing weekend.

#6 ·
Not being an alarmist but have received several reports of more rattlers near the river in the Nile area than in previous years, so keep you eyes peeled when hoofing along the river.

Steve

#10 ·
BOTH!

I know I've said that twice in this thread, but seriously. Cutties are generally pretty stupid when it comes to big dry flies. Why do I say this, because I've seen them smash a stupid looking fly on the hang down, but wouldn't touch it dead drifted. Here's what I have found with them though. If you run a fly through and get a swipe, but no hook up, change your fly. They will likely not come back to that same one again. If you change up to something completely different, you might have a chance at them again.

So here's a funny story about that. One time McNasty and I traded casts back and forth on a single fish. I threw a "blank" fly at the fish, BAM...but no hookup. I'd cast and cast and cast and he wouldn't come back. I'd pull in, McNasty would throw....BAM...but no hookup. I'd be done re-tying by then and go after it again. I seriously think we each retied 3 times before the fish was hooked and landed.

#11 ·
BOTH!

I know I've said that twice in this thread, but seriously. Cutties are generally pretty stupid when it comes to big dry flies. Why do I say this, because I've seen them smash a stupid looking fly on the hang down, but wouldn't touch it dead drifted. Here's what I have found with them though. If you run a fly through and get a swipe, but no hook up, change your fly. They will likely not come back to that same one again. If you change up to something completely different, you might have a chance at them again.

So here's a funny story about that. One time McNasty and I traded casts back and forth on a single fish. I threw a "blank" fly at the fish, BAM...but no hookup. I'd cast and cast and cast and he wouldn't come back. I'd pull in, McNasty would throw....BAM...but no hookup. I'd be done re-tying by then and go after it again. I seriously think we each retied 3 times before the fish was hooked and landed.
Just wanted to make sure. I remember cutties propensity to take big dries, hell, any dries when I fished for them in Fernie years ago and on the St. Mary's as well...

I've never heard of a "skulpzilla" before though. Will have to google it and see the results.

#12 ·
If you haven't already seen it, look for the other current thread about the Naches and you'll find more info. Also, search for "sculpzilla" with a "c" as well as with a "k", as it seems to be spelled with a "c" more often. There is a thread from 2007 in the fly tying section that has a great description of how to tie them. I'd like to know where to buy them since I just don't have time to tie right now.

#16 ·
Heading over to Naches on early Friday morning and plan on spending entire day there. Just curious if it's better to be closer to the town of Naches this time of year or up near Cliffdell...

Either way, plan on doing a LOT of walking/wading/casting...

Thanks.
I fished the naches several weeks ago and it sucked, both the upper and lower parts of the river. Spent an entire day and finally gave up and drove around to the canyon. Was told by people that know the area well that all the big fish get poached and as a consequence there is very little year to year to breed and produce new fish.

#17 ·
I fished the naches several weeks ago and it sucked, both the upper and lower parts of the river. Spent an entire day and finally gave up and drove around to the canyon. Was told by people that know the area well that all the big fish get poached and as a consequence there is very little year to year to breed and produce new fish.
Hmmm...seems contrary to most reports I have heard/read but I guess I'll take my chances...

At the very least I'll be in a very pretty area doing something I love.

#26 ·
Nothing of any size today but I didn't get off the beaten path too much...the little ones I did get were in the fast (heavily oxygenated) water and were hitting the prince dropper off my hopper...on the swing or end of drift.

Scoped out a few areas that will require some work to get to so hoping this will get me onto some bigger fish...but either way it's just great be on the river...

Tight lines all...will let you know how tomorrow goes...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.