Nat Geo Article: Climate Change Spells Trouble for Anglers

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Tacoma Red, Sep 19, 2013.

1. Tony Polizzi

Tony Polizzi Active Member

I was only trying to make the point that protecting the environment is everyone's responsibility, and that a president that is associated with many things including conservatism and conservation believed we could use science and reason to both protect and improve the environment.
    I just can't figure out why fly Fishers would not be concerned when clearly qualified scientists state publicly that we are on the brink of losing 50percent of our cold water fishing over the next 80 years.
    Seems worthy of discussion.

GAT likes this.
  2. Tony Polizzi

For thee record I'm a fan of Ted Roosevelt as well. His work in reforming law enforcement is one reason, Olympic National Park is the other. If you need to ban or block my account for such an outrageous ;) comment I completely understand.

Billy McFly and GAT like this.
  3. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

And those very rich guys who didn't want to stop polluting The Willamette because it would cost them money... they're still very rich.

4. riseform

riseform Active Member

I've forgotten, what year was it again that the earth's climate was perfect and we're all striving to return to?

triploidjunkie likes this.
  5. Klickrolf

Klickrolf Active Member

The earth has been much warmer than it is today and there was almost no anthro introduced co2. Actually, CO2 levels have been magnitudes higher in the past and the planet bloomed!! Do a little research of your own, start with googling the "carboniferous" era. Climate changes naturally and there is nothing we can do to stop it. Doesn't have anything to do with rich guys or co2, nothing whatsoever. Look deeper boys, and use your brain.

triploidjunkie likes this.
  6. Patrick Allen

Patrick Allen Active Member

GAT I don't think anyone is trying to say that polluting is OK. If you read my original thoughts I try (maybe not so well) that its not always a black and white issue. We all should do what we can to keep this earth Rolling so too speak

7. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

Now let me get this straight. The earth is doing nothing more than going about its natural tendency for climate change so it's okay to pollute? That's the bottomline if you believe this is all natural. Pollution is okay.

Gee, maybe The Willamette wasn't really polluted but going through a natural change and it really made no difference whatsoever when companies stopped dumping toxic waste into the river. Guess I never considered that.

Patrick, it is black and white to me. Pollution is not good for the planet. I simply can't believe that pollution is okay and is actually a grey area. I suppose if you're one of the very rich who doesn't want to stop polluting because it will cost you money to do so, you may consider pollution of the planet as a grey area.

I don't. If you want to roll the dice and let the pollution continue, well, it won't effect me. I'll be long dead before the planet goes completely belly up. At least the rich companies polluting today will make a lot of money... that's the important thing.

There is no such thing as pollution. Got it.

Untitled-1.jpg

8. Patrick Allen

Patrick Allen Active Member

GAT I guess I will stop here as I guess anything less than total extremism on the side of carbon neutral and zero profits by corporations is acceptable. I try to think of myself as economically conservative but pretty liberal when it comes to the environment but I guess that's just not good enough

9. freestoneangler

freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

To those who have bought this line of bullshit, I say please lead by example. Give up all your carbon footprint contributing personal effects and lifestyles, harvest grubs and live in grass huts. When we see the almost certain change for the good, the rest of us will follow...promise ;).

And now, time for some

popcorn.jpg

bennysbuddy likes this.
  10. Billy McFly

Billy McFly Active Member

Screw it!, bring on the next Ice age. Way too many people on this planet anyway... Mother nature has her ways of cleaning the place up.

11. Tony Polizzi

Do I have to eat grubs and live in a grass hut would it be ok if I started by reading and paying attention to radicals like T Boone Pickens, Warren Buffet and Yvone Chuinard? I like crazy political magazines like National Geographic and subversive government agencies like NASA. NASA the agency that brought us the Moon, Tang and John Glen.
    Again the issue at hand is the observable report of impacts on cold water fish and their reduction of habitable river miles due to increasing water temperature. I have not read one attempt at refuting that stated observation in the article.
    Snicker and doodle all we want its still more bad news for the fish I love to pester.
    Please pass the pop corn :)

Billy McFly likes this.
  12. Checkthisout

Checkthisout Member

You can't refute something for which there is no evidence in the first place.

13. triploidjunkie

triploidjunkie Active Member

Anybody ever read Michael Crichton's "State of Fear"? There's alot of truth in fiction.