Native Trout / Winter

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by chrome/22, Dec 23, 2012.

1. Stonefish

Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

Curt,
    I've always felt that the two fish over 14" on many streams is a very outdated regulation. Since those resident bows may hold the key to steelhead recovery, it seems crazy that they are still allowed to be harvested.
    Same goes with searun cutts. Protect them in the salt but let them be harvested once they hit the streams? That makes no sense to me.
    SF

Matt B, Richard Torres and The Duke like this.
  2. Smalma

Smalma Active Member

Stonefish-
    I agree that the regulations are in need of an overhaul and with the resident info rainbow/steelhead only highlights that need.

That overhaul is much more important for the steelhead/rainbow question than sea-runs. The behavior of those adult resident rainbows essentially assures that they are vulunerable to any andromous in-river fishery anytime the river is open. The behavior of the sea-runs assure that the sub-adult and adult cutthroat are only exposed to such fisheries for a few months rather than the entire year.

There were a proposal or two this regulation cycle that attempted to address that issue but they were rejected at the agency level and did not go out for public comment. If folks feel that such changes are needed it needs to come to the commissions attention throuh either public comments or more such proposals the next opportunity (unfortunately that will be two or more years down the road). The agency was more than willing to go after the tributary fisheries on the coast and in Puget Sound but clearly drew the line at the "tradtional" adult steelhead and salmon fisheries and methods.

Curt

Stonefish and Richard Torres like this.
  3. Stonefish

Curt,
    I always appreciate the information you provide.
    I should have also included the resident form of coastal cutthroat in my last post. I fish several streams that have excellent population of good size cutts above in stream barriers.

A few years ago I encountered an angler with a very large cutt on a stringer. By far the largest I had seen out of this stream. Just a great specimen and it was difficult to see a fine native fish like that be destined for the frying pan. Both forms of cutts along with the resident rainbows are in my opinion much to valuable to be harvested. We need more protection for these fish then the current regulations offer.
    SF

Jim Wallace likes this.
  4. Richard Torres

Richard Torres Active Member

So all of these years, there is this misconception for the average angler targeting trout in our west side rivers and they're actually killing smaller native steelhead?

5. Stonefish

Richard,
    The fish people are catching could possibly being either resident bows or steelhead.
    Here is a link that will help explain why it is so important to protect the resident rainbows as they are likely to help restore our wild steelhead populations.
    http://phys.org/news/2011-01-wild-rainbow-trout-critical-health.html

Curt has posted some great info on this in the past. Perhaps he can add his superior knowledge versus mine on this subject.
    SF

Pat Lat likes this.
  6. Creatch'r

Creatch'r Heavies...

image.jpg

A special fish.... Taped at 22" lazily floated off the bottom, followed downstream and mouse trapped the dry!

7. Smalma

Smalma Active Member

Stonefish -
    Not sure what info you are looking for.

The 14 inch min. came for the mid-1980s where the strategy was to put into place min. size limits on streams that allowed for the majority of the females to spawn at least once. The 14 inches on the anadromous waters was largely directed towards sea-run cutthroat needs. The 12 inch on non-anadromous streams for resident trout and the same strategy for bull trout produced the 20 inch min. size limit. Generally speaking that approach has been successful in assuring healthy populations when the size limits were specific to the biology of the target species.

The resident rainbows in our anadromous waters (especially those with depressed poulations) have different needs. Thus the need to re-examine the min. size limits and other regulations on those waters. As pointed out in the link you provide as well other research clearly have found that rainbow and steelhead populations in those waters are linked. In fact it is now becoming more accepted that rainbow and steelhead are just two different life history expressions of the same population; part of the diversity of the species. With declining wild O. mykiss abundance that diversity in life histories is just that more important.

I don't think many would advocate that management paradigms be put into place that actively select against over all diversity of our steelhead populations. For examine allow only the harvest of the oldest/largest fish, 3-salt fish, the repeat spawners, smolts, etc. Yet the current management is doing exactly that by putting selective pressure on resdient life history. Given the current condition of Puget Sound anadromous river O. mykiss populations not only is the current management upside down it actively works against the one thing those populations need - a genetic safety net.

Without the safety net the overall population remains at a greater risk, and any recovery (for example increased survival) will be slower.

I would be happy to attempt to fill in the blanks for there are questions are areas that need clarication.

Curt

Stonefish and Jim Wallace like this.
  8. chrome/22

chrome/22 For him there whould always be the riddle of steel

super trout.jpg
    I have to agree, that needs to change.

But the upside is most of the dudes really capible of doing damage are the water borne steelhead fishermen & the ones I've talked to really seem to "get it" & are looking to almost always C&R the native bows & cutts.

Here are a few shots of my Friday.

c/22

Attached Files:

Andrew Lawrence likes this.
  9. Stonefish

Curt,
    The relationship between resident rainbows and steelhead is information I was looking for. You nailed it. Thanks.

Nice fish Chromer. Looks like you guys had a fun day.
    SF

10. Jim Wallace

Jim Wallace Smells like low tide.

Cranberry Country...a glorified coastal swamp!
    This has been an interesting thread! Great info! And pics, too!

11. blade

blade New Member

Big rainbows are alive and well on the North Sound rivers this week. I have never caught as many as I did this week. However no cutts are they up in the little tribs? Great fish and they have great eye appeal. They just pop.

12. Paul Huston

Paul Huston Swinger

This

Bow.jpg

SaltyCutt likes this.
  13. chrome/22

Yep, that is sure this.

Love the color, very nice & that egg pattern looks killer too

c/22

14. chrome/22

15. Paul Huston

Paul Huston Swinger

'ish
    But kinda intruderey..
    A little more room between stations and some ostrich give it more wiggle on the swing.
    IMAG0180.jpg