Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Navigating raft when fishing a bank?

Boats 
2K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  Kris Kerr 
#1 ·
Hi All,

I took my NFO assault drifter raft (14 ft frameless raft with pin and lock oar system) out on the water for the first time, and i had a blast learning how to row it. It was my first time rowing anything, so there was quite a bit of learning. I knew to point the bow at obstructions and row away, but I have another questions about alternative techniques to navigate a raft.

There were times when fishing the bank which we would drift too close, or too far from the bank. The only way I knew to get closer to the bank was to point the stern towards it, and back row, then straighten out, and vice versa to get further away from the bank, which was quite honestly a pain in the ass. Is there a way to row a raft so that it manuervers directly left or right (further and closer to the bank), while still parallel to the bank (in other words without having to point the stern in the direction i want to go, and backrow)? I figure this is possible since the raft is flat bottomed, and skates pretty well, where as this may not be possible with a drift boat?

Any tips? Thanks!

#3 ·
If your in safe water, you can just hold the boat pointing at the bank. Then push the oars to move in, pull to move out.

It gets a little bit more complicated if you have someone in the back. Then it's stern upstream, quartering in and out to maintain your distance from the bank.

Very important to pay attention for down stream hazards. It's easy to get distracted and forget about what's coming up below you.

#7 ·
Ken -

You are employing the power of lateral momentum. And my guess is that if you are new to rowing you are probably overcompensating a great deal - taking twice as many strokes that are half as efficient.

As others have mentioned, there is a way of setting oars up that will side slip the boat. Best to take a course of get out with a guide who is really good on the sticks and ask hem for a tutorial. You will catch a bunch of fish and learn something in the process.

#10 ·
Crab walk row just like bk explained above. It's a little bizarre at first as you're moving your arms in opposite directions, but very useful once you nail it down. As a fellow raft rower, I can tell you it's not as easy in a raft as it is a db, so you'll be working a bit harder for the same results.

#14 ·
Use your raft / driftboat to fish flatwater, take outings with your family, etc. When you do this drop the oar rights and focus on perfect practice. Focus on sculling motions with your oars to build boat handling finesse. That muscle memory will transfer to moving water.

#16 ·
There is a good book called Float-Fishing Strategies by Neele Streaks that is full of information. It covers drift boats, rafts, and pontoon boats. It has diagrams on different rowing technigues, etc. I bought it when I got off the shore myself.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.