Need to build me a driftboat...questions

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by BOBLAWLESS, Jan 8, 2005.

1. BOBLAWLESS

BOBLAWLESS New Member

I would like to build the boat as I have a full shop of tools, lots of time, love building things etc. How difficult is this using the stitch and glue method? Seems easy but then I have no experience with it.

Questions: does anyone know of any good plans available that you have had personal experience with? I have used the search engine and I have not come up with much.

I figure about 2K will slip through my fingers for this project. Is that about right?

What about just getting a used boat and saying the hell with it? Does anyone have one they might be willing to part with? How much? PM me.

I would like not to have to scarf the plywood. Does anyone know where you can buy some 12' or even 14' sheets?

I might want to fish with a friend. Is 12' big enough or do I need 14'?

Would a small motor well for an electric motor be worth it to traverse long stretches of frog water in the fall?

Any advice will be most appreciated and might land you a free drift somewhere.

Bob, the Just call me “drifty.” :cool:

2. Scott Behn

Scott Behn Active Member

Bob...its not so much the end result, but the trip you take to get there.

If I have the means and the time to build one myself, I would build one.

3. Fishunter

Fishunter Member

Wood boats are the best looking on the water. If I had the time to build one I would. You can customize it to fit what and where you fish. Rod storage, holders, coolers, seats, etc.
    Good luck! I hope you post a picture when you are finished.

4. Monk

Monk Redneck

Bob, I have a buddy who just finished one. I'll have him shoot you a PM. He is a very talented craftsman and he created the plans from scratch. A sixer might convince him to relinquish his plans. :thumb:

5. YAKIMA

YAKIMA AKA: Gregory Mine

Bob,

PM with me with the type of plywood and sizes your looking for. I work for a wolesale building material distributor, and I may be able to help you with the costs...

Greg

6. Matt Burke

Matt Burke Active Member

BOB,

If you build it, I will come. I'm serious. Those kinds of projects always need gophers and sanders. I would come over once a week to help do whatever, but I would very much like to see how it's done. I'm no slouch as I have a desk and a few other things under my belt. I would imagine you would need two more hands fitting wood into a jig, warping and fiberglassing, etc. I would be very glad to help and would only accept coffee poured liberally into a large cup.

7. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

8. Bob Triggs

Bob Triggs Stop Killing Wild Steelhead!

Home Page:
    Look for "Andy" at Edensaw Woods in Port Townsend, off of Otto Street. He built a Drift boat from Plywood materials that Edensaw provides for boatbuilders.

I think he used plans from "Montana Boatbuilders". Done properly the scarf joint is as strong as the rest of the panel surface.

Also:"Don Hill" and "Ray's River Dorys" have kits, plans etc.

9. gregs

gregs Save Hood Canal

One of the best kit builders is Greg Tatman outside Eugene, Oregon. he has a great website that will tell you just about everything you need to know to get started. website is gregboats.com

10. Davy

Davy Active Member

I would second the Don Hill boat recommendation,I have built 4 but none the last 8 or 9 years.

11. Ron Eagle Elk

Ron Eagle Elk Active Member

Bob, Before I got one heck of a deal on a 14' wood DB witih trailer I was looking into building a boat myself. I looked real hard at www.butlerprojects.com. They have a couple of boats that intigued me and they are a local company.

I may decide to build a smaller boat for those days when I need solitude and want to float a river alone (usually a bad idea), so I'm still looking.

If you live anywhere close to Yelm, I also have a shop full of tools and a ton of wood working experience under my belt. If you need a hand let me know. I also accept large amounts of coffee in exchange for labor.

REE

12. yellerstone

yellerstone Guest

Bob, just for fun you might want to check out the old Briggs style boats. I've used these in the Grand Canyon and were great in heavy water. Look carefully at the chine it is straighter which helps tracking. Also notice that they are decked over (Otherwise you WILL sink in the big water) this provides a huge amount of dry storage. Some of the older boats are plywood/ epoxy and are very durable (and repairable). Andy Hutchenson of High Desert Boat works is now building them (Hulls) out of a laminar PVC material that is tough as H#LL and does not require all the sanding and epoxy work and vitually no maintenance.

I realize these these boat are way overkill for the kind of water and short trips around here but there are neat concepts that could be incorporated besides its nice to see what people are doing outside of this region. I've been thinking about the possiblities of a scaled down version.

I also really like the Montana boatbuilders designs.

Andy's Contact Info. (hard to get a hold of) and pictuce of the Briggs design.
    http://www.wileywales.com/briggs.html[​IMG]

Food for thought. Your lucky to be so close to Edensaw.

John

Attached Files:

13. Jim Kerr

Jim Kerr Active Member

Bob, Some time ago I was discussing a similar project with some ship wright friends of mine and some one sugested TVP as a substitute to plywood. TVP as I am sure you are aware stands for texurized vegitable protien, and is often given out by relief workers to famine victims, or sold at food co-ops to hippies. The thought was it could be poored in a mother of epoxy type matrix as a cheap substitute to fiberglass. Ads a twist to your concern about 'SCARFING".

14. BOBLAWLESS

BOBLAWLESS New Member

:eek: Hey, where else can you ask for a little advice and get reponses like these. I mean, guys will work for coffee. (My wife uses French roast; it is very black and very strong). I have a trailer to put a few guys up over Sat. night. I am overwhelmed by my riches. If this isn't the best damn site in the U.S., I ask you which one is? And Monk, a guy I had pegged as sitting to the right of Hitler, wants to help me, a confirmed liberal for life.. Geez. Is the world a crazy place or what?

Bob, the Let me Mull this over. It could be outrageous fun or a total disaster.
    I've got to think. I need to research some more. I need to write some Pm's.
    Shoot, I'm getting started and yet I don't know my ass from apple struddle. :eek:

15. Ron Eagle Elk

Ron Eagle Elk Active Member

Mmmmmmmmm, French roast!