FS need to find a home for a dog

Discussion in 'Classifieds' started by orangeradish, Nov 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. orangeradish

orangeradish Eyes to the sky...

This is such a heartbreaking pain in the ass. My brother had 2 dogs and 2 kids. They decided that they couldn't handle 2 dogs. We offered to take one he rescued a few years back. She's part black lab, part sheep herd type dog. We have 5 acres. Figured it would be perfect. They didn't know or didn't mention that she has separation anxiety issues. My wife and I both work, so she's home alone for 8 hours a day. This displeases the dog. A bunch. When we are home, she is super chill. Never runs around, barks, chews, jumps. Ever. She really is a sweet girl. All she wants to do is be wherever we are, and get the petting. But when you leave her home for 8 hours, she scratches doors, bites doorknobs, pees a lot. She is a bit of a Houdini. I don't want to take her to a shelter because I fear she won't make it out due to her age. She's 6ish, but is in great health. Loves to walk, loves fishing. She is a killer fish dog, because she always stays close. It's been 3 months. We've had a animal behaviorist over, we've tried different kennel setups. We don't want to sedate her all the time, because that's not cool. She's a pain in the ass when we're not home, but the bigger issue is that she must be miserable. I don't want to go to craigslist, because I'm worried she might get in a similar situation and the cycle would start all over again. I figured I'd tell the full story here and see if there is anyone who is retired, or has someone home most of the time who'd like a really sweet dog. Fuck, this sucks. I really love this dog.

Thanks for reading.

Jason

2. JS

JS Active Member

Bummer, bro. Sorry to hear it, and I wish I could help.

3. orangeradish

Thanks, man. We're going to keep her until we find her a decent place to live.

4. Eyejuggler

Eyejuggler Beech Nut

Home Page:
    I wish we could but already have 3 dogs and 2 cats. Let me share this on my Facebook page, I have many dog friendly folks on there and some local folks that rescue and are in contact. I hate to see a good dog suffer and applaud your sensitivity to the situation.
    Dave

Brian Thomas likes this.
  5. jeff bandy

jeff bandy Make my day

Get another dog. They are pack animals. A lone dog (with a few exceptions) is a sad dog.

Luke77, Derek Young and Freestone like this.
  6. Freestone

Freestone Not to be confused with freestoneangler

Ditto.

Derek Young likes this.
  7. Derek Young

Derek Young Emerging Rivers Guide Services

Home Page:
    Sorry Jason, this is indeed tough. I "rescued" an abandoned yellow lab from the SF of the Snake, its owners left it at the campground below Palisades and I just couldn't let the skinny thing stay there - besides, we had just lost a lab we had for close to 10 years. So, it seemed like a sign. I got home from the trip after a hellish drive with the dog in the back of my Land Rover, and woke my wife saying "I met a blonde and brought it home with me" to which I nearly got slapped...

Anyhow, this dog which we named Jackson, had the same issue - given his history, not a surprise. It became too much for us, and not enough for him, so we did what you are presuming to do - found a better home. At least I hope that is what happened. It's tough, for sure.

8. Ron Eagle Elk

Ron Eagle Elk Active Member

Jason, How big is she? Any dietary problems/concerns. Long or short coat? Spayed? VEE and I are old retired folks and our dog, Ghillie, is always with us. When we go on really long trips he goes to a kennel that has doggie day care so there is lots of play time and pets.

Rob Hardman, orangeradish and Ed Call like this.
  9. Rudedawg

Rudedawg New Member

Your a good man Jason It will work out!
    I got two now but will watch the thread
    I've been adopted by many dogs over the years It was all to my benefit

10. orangeradish

Ron, I sent you a pm with some details. 1000 thanks for looking into this.

J

11. orangeradish

Also, thanks for the other replies everyone. I really appreciate it.
    J

12. Jason Rolfe

Jason Rolfe Wanderer

Damn, I wish I could help. My lady and I would love another dog. We are definitely not in the right boat though, since she's currently in grad school and I work full time.

I hope it works out. Good on you for looking out for her. I'm sure you'll get it squared away.

J

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.