Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Never mind wolves, fear the "coywolf" instead

NFR 
2K views 24 replies 20 participants last post by  Tracker 
#1 ·
Here's a scary new animal for all you ninnies to hand-wring about. Better yet, maybe this is just fodder for awesome new WFF threads for years to come!

Interbreeding of wolves, coyotes and dogs in North America has created "an extraordinarily fit new animal", called here the coywolf, though it has yet to acquire a scientific name. Coywolves have "twice the heft of purebred coyotes", and jaws large enough to "take down small deer". A pack of them can kill a moose. They don't mind city noise, and they know the Highway Code, "looking both ways before they cross a road"

Full story: http://www.economist.com/news/scien...w-animal-species-emerge-front-scientists-eyes

#4 ·
First saw one of these on my game camera mounted to one of my apple trees three years ago. It looked a lot like a shepherd mix, had an apple in its mouth, had two coyote's behind it in the picture. I have seen him on several occasions since as have some neighbors. One evening last summer I took a shot at him...he humped a little but there was no blood, must have either ruffed his hide or kicked dirt his way. These critters are real and are potentially more dangerous than ordinary wildlife in my opinion.

#6 · (Edited)
This seems like a money making scheme....

Not saying Coywolfs are not real. Just saying I bet dogs have practiced mixed breeding in wild for quite some time. Every see one of those little dogs that humps anything that moves? Think its different with bigger dogs? Granted now our Government will spend lots of frigging money on studies I'm sure.

#11 ·
I heard from a reliable source that their hide is much thicker than either coyote or wolf and thus potentially nearly impervious to bullets. As a result of their unique genomic mix they are also potentially prone to shape shifting.

TC

#18 ·
They're far from new, and it's coy-dog. How the hell they got coy-wolf out of coyotes and dogs breeding is beyond me. A coy-wolf is a cross between a coyote and wolf.

#23 ·
Great...another non-issue that will incite general pants-shitting hysteria amongst those disposed. I'm far more concerned about the coy-human meth-heads and companion pit-bulls I regularly encounter traversing Spokane's 'Felony Flats' area each day on the way to, and from, work.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.