Never too Cold

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by TD, Dec 6, 2013.

1. TD

TD Active Member

Its' never too cold to get out and fish a bit. If you don't have a fly in the water, you ain't gonna catch any fish. Found this one in a favorite run... took a peacock bodied fly at the end of the swing. The take was veeeeery sooooft...

PB260036.JPG

now if I can just locate some fresh fish.

Don't let the cold keep you in.

2. Bob Rankin

Bob Rankin Chasing fur and fish every second I get :)

Nice! I went Tuesday and nothing!

3. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

I discovered long ago that I can't fish if I can't cast. And I can't cast worth a hoot with ice in my guides. That, and I once got hit by a drifting ice flow I didn't see coming downstream at me.

Glad you got a fish. I'll stay inside and tie some flies. Must be getting old.

Sg

4. Jason Rolfe

Jason Rolfe Wanderer

Nice! I got out Thursday morning, and got to experience a new thing--Frozen Reel!

It wasn't a problem until I reeled in my line after fishing for a while to walk down to another run. When I got to the new run and tried to start stripping out line, the water that had splashed onto the reel from reeling in previously had frozen. Took a bit of work to get it unjammed, and then I had to keep working it occasionally to keep it from being stuck.

Not that I hooked any fish anyway. But it would have sucked to hook one and then bust it off because my reel wouldn't turn.

J

5. Tracy Lauricella

Tracy Lauricella Active Member

This morning I not only had a frozen reel and frozen guides, when I got back up to my jeep, my waders had frozen from the knees down. (or at least there was a layer of ice covering them.)

6. Wayne Kohan

Wayne Kohan fish-ician

It's too cold over here.

Wayne

Alpine4x4 and Kcahill like this.
  7. i need buy some electric long johns

8. Kcahill

Kcahill Active Member

What about when your yarnie freezes to the boat....

yarnie frozen to boat.jpg

Cruik likes this.
  9. gear chucker

Kcahill likes this.
  10. Peyton00

Peyton00 Active Member

I fished the Puyallup and Carbon today. I didn't touch a fish or the zombie chums floating along side the shore. My friend landed a nice coho on the Carbon. I am hitting the Skookumchuk Saturday morning, it cant be worse than todays stats.

11. Wayne Kohan

Wayne Kohan fish-ician

• Tonight: Mostly cloudy, with a low around 10. Wind chill values as low as -7. North wind 16 to 18 mph, with gusts as high as 29 mph.
    • Saturday: Mostly cloudy through mid morning, then gradual clearing, with a high near 17. Wind chill values as low as -7. North wind 6 to 13 mph.
    • Saturday: Night Mostly clear, with a low around 0. Wind chill values as low as -14. South wind around 9 mph.
    • Sunday: Partly sunny, with a high near 18. Wind chill values as low as -13. South wind 5 to 7 mph becoming west in the morning.

This is the National Weather Service report for Kennewick this weekend. I'm definitely tying flies.

Wayne

12. that sounds terrible

13. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Peyton,

Why would you fish the Puyallup system? I thought WDFW discontinued the hatchery steelhead stocking program in the basin. Or is this the last year fish are expected to return from residual stocking? And the last time I read of steelhead returning to the hatchery, they got something like 17, not enough broodstock to keep the program running.

Sg

14. Peyton00

Peyton00 Active Member

A friend wanted me to go with him and his friend, so I was along for the ride, i ended up being their tour guide. I have no complaints, it was a nice day with no wind and some sunshine. The river has coho.

15. Rob Allen

Rob Allen Active Member

my knees beg to differ you younger guys have at it :)