Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

New Boat Model: Meet the SRB

Boats 
10K views 40 replies 18 participants last post by  coastaldrifter 
#1 ·
That is right, the highly anticipated Sea Run Bull or SRB is a 10.5' self bailing raft with a frame for two people and full anchor system. We have not had a chance to spec it out completely yet but I'm guessing it weighs in at around 100 pounds. Our first one arrived recently and was sold on the same day (he ordered in advance ;)). Below are a few pictures.

Attachments

See less See more
#33 ·
Perhaps...who am I to say whether they are over priced or not?

It would be tougher to make the the Tributary a 2-person boat at only 9.5' feet and I don't know if they offer a 10.5' version. Someone on a budget can get the Maxxon outfitted with a frame and all the accessories for about the same price as the Hyside raft alone. Both have a 5-year warranty and both are made overseas. So I am guessing there is a small market for them. We have sold a handful of them in the relatively short period that they have been available and the customers have been pleased with it.

#34 · (Edited)
I would recommend not going down the road of comparing the 10.5 maxxon to the 10.5 hysides. The comparison ends at a 5 year warranty and made over seas. The material and expected longevity of such being extremely different.

How about apples to apples. The RMR storm is $1699 at 10.5'.

I am confused, you say the 9.5' Maxxon for $1500. The Maxxon website shows its 9' and the The Boat People sell it for $1359
http://www.theboatpeople.com/self-bailing-inflatable-rafts/maxxon-sb-270-whitewater-raft/

The Aire trib is 9'8" and there are several nice pics on the internet of it set up with a 2 person frame and it is only $1599. The aire trib construction if far more burly than a maxxon.

FYI - I own a maxxon, several aire rigs and spent a week with 2 hysides minimax rigs on the MF Salmon this year, hence I believe the 10.5 maxxon raft alone at north of $1500 as over priced.

What does just north of $1500 mean?

We have had a similar discussion before, You make what looks like a great fishing frame, why not make it to fit a better boat at a similar price. Make a 2 person frame for the 9'8" aire trib, make a 2 person frame for the RMR 10.5 storm, make a 2 person frame for an RMR 12 or Aire trib 12, make one for the hysides minimax or minime for a little more. Or is it because you can get the maxxon boats for some ridiculously cheap wholesale price from the evergoing guy in Kent?

#35 · (Edited)
Shapp,

Maxxon's 10.5' boat is new enough that the 2015 price was not included on their price list. I said "north of $1500 because that is the MSRP of the 9' and so conventional wisdom would suggest a bigger boat would be a littler more money.

You will also notice that I said that was the MSRP listed price. I assume you know that the MSRP for many products is higher than what they can go for and probably why The Boat People have a price advertised lower than that. Maxxon also recently came out with MAP pricing as well, which I think is a good thing for their company and products.

I mentioned other potential boat options of similar size for folks to consider. In my post #17 I indicated the same thing so I am not sure why you keep implying that I am suggesting they are equal in quality?

We have made frames for Aire and RMR along with a host of others but we can't be a dealer for every brand out there. We have had customers bring us their own raft they purchased and had us build frames for them so I am not sure what you are getting at? We will build a frame for whatever boat the customer brings us.

As of now, RMR are not making 9 and 10 foot pontoons which is a big component of our business. And while I like their welded boats, unfortunately, they are heavier than comparable-sized boats and many customers rank weight as a bigger factor than price, or some cases durability. If you don't believe that, look at how many boats NFO sells. Regarding the Tributary rafts, even Aire will tell you they don't compare to Aire rafts in price, quality, or warranty.

Regarding your comment about wholesale price from Evergoing Maxxon, I'm not sure what your point is but I disagree that the boats are "ridiculously cheap" (materials or overall cost). They are what they are; there are better boats available and worse boats out there. Nobody is forcing you or anyone else to buy one. Until someone else builds 9 and 10 foot pontoons with similar or better quality, we will continue using them. And a lot of people on this site have commented positively about their Maxxon pontoons.

#36 · (Edited)
My tubes are 10'6 made in the USA in Oregon and a true 20" diameter heat welded and retail for 995.00 not sure what the maxxons are anymore. I had maxxons for a long time and they worked fine. You won't find a more top of the line 10' fishing cataraft than my westfork, I know the performance of my tubes is way better than the maxxons I had. Then again my boat with aluminum frame,drybox,high end sawyer oars not the mini mags and anchor system was 2995.00 , not sure what your 10 foot is BDD. The highest quality 10 footer has already been made by Canyon for years and no one could come close to it or compete on their pricing for what you got,now Rogue is making them, it all comes down to budget, you want the best buy a westfork, you want a boat that works good but not as fancy look at something else. You should see some new westforks at the shows this year I heard they will be doing the show circut. Lots of buyers for different levels of boats so its nice to have a variety.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.