New Boat Model-Need Help with a Name!

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by BDD, Jan 15, 2014.

1. BDD

BDD Active Member

Home Page:
    Here is a new prototype boat that we have been working on. At first I wanted to name it the "Freestone" but I'm not sure that it could ever live up to that particular name, based on our own board member Freestone.

The inflatable portion is from US-made Jack's Plastic Welding but of course, Ken had to add a little extra touch to it with a frame and heel bar to make it complete.

If we decide to market this boat, we will need a name for it. Any ideas?

Attached Files:

SpeyFitter and Freestone like this.
  2. orangeradish

orangeradish 1/2 an Ira

Home Page:
    Slick looking boat. I'd call it the whitewater donut, but I suck at naming things...

3. BDD

BDD Active Member

Home Page:
    Maybe name it The Bobo? I still think that was the best thread ever posted on this board.

4. JesseC

JesseC Active Member

I would call it the pene rhinocerotis

5. Freestone

Freestone Not to be confused with freestoneangler

BDD, you can call it the Freestone - as long as I get one! It looks awesome - and very portable! I'll test it at Brooks if you want...

6. BDD

BDD Active Member

Home Page:
    If you take it to Brooks, we'll have to get another one because I'm going with you. Of course, if we did name it Freestone, we'd wind up paying you royalties for the rest of your life. Of course, 0% of nothing won't get you rich.

triploidjunkie likes this.
  7. SpeyFitter

SpeyFitter Active Member

First off - interesting, practical boat . I like it a lot better than the frameless variants(e.g. Watermaster, Outlaw Assaults). It's kinda similar to the Outcast PowerDrifter with a few obvious differences (no floor, different frame, different dimensions and kind of a different shape). Essentially a true mini framed raft. Sure there will be a slight weight penalty with the frame, but the benefits gained are many, including strength, and safety.

A few simple easy suggestions that would definitely improve this boat:

1) The Footbar frame piece that is strapped separate to the boat should be integrated with the rest of the frame for strength & rigidity. I don't like that it's a separate piece with a straps holding it in place.

2) Related to the above point, instead of having those single bar oar towers which very similar to the Outcast Power Drifter design (with a bit of a difference in the bends, and the fact you guys are using galvanized steel I presume over the Outcast Power Drifters Aluminum - I have heard the very odd story of guys who really bear down on the Power Drifters oars actually cracking the oar tower pin weld that holds the oar lock due to the single bar design which is a slight weak point in their design), run a bar from the mini seat frame and connect it to the foot frame along the tops of the toons. Then put traditional upside down U shaped Oar Towers that are welded to this bar like you'd find on your average pontoon boat (these oar towers would be welded in two places obviously on the lateral bar laying on top of the toons). You could put one or two quick disconnects along the piece of pipe between the seat mini frame and the foot bar so the frame could be taken apart and more compact. There would be minimal weight penalty in added frame weight for this option when you consider the strength benefits gained overall.

3) As far as the name is concerned, when you consider the olive colour of the boat, with the kinda retro looking taped seems (like some kind of raft you'd see in a Vietnam war moving crossing a river or something), the simplicity of the design, but it still looks kinda tough, and the camo/army like seat cover - I think a name like "PLATOON" would be appropriate. Essentially playing on the use of the word "TOON," but using "PLATOON" to give it that army/foot soldier tough sounding appeal.

4) It might not be a bad idea to have an optional deck on the back for gear. Since this boat is a raft, it would have very good carrying capacity over your average pontoon (Or you'd think anyways). Just a thought.

plaegreid, Ron McNeal and JesseC like this.
  8. SpeyFitter

SpeyFitter Active Member

Just another thing - I think the D rings on the boat should be moved forward at least 6 inches, maybe more, so the seat sits closer to the middle of the boat. I say this for a few reasons

- Better weight distribution, also, an ass heavy craft isn't as friendly in "attacking" larger waves as one that is at the very least balanced, or slightly bow heavy.
    - If the Drings/seat frame, etc. were moved closer to the front of the boat, it would make the addition of a rear storage deck more practical, with more room behind the rower to facilitate hauling gear.
    - I'm just guessing on this one, but probably slightly better vision of what's coming up if you weren't sitting so far back.

This kind of craft would be a great one man craft for multi day trips due to the increased load capacity combined with the safety of the frame.

plaegreid likes this.
  9. Stonefish

Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

pt 109

Jason Rolfe likes this.
  10. Freestone

Freestone Not to be confused with freestoneangler

Well, I guess you'd better call Jack and get another one then. But heck if you're coming up, we might as well do a river so put your thinking cap on!

Is it at your house? If you have it, bring it up tomorrow!

11. SpeyFitter

SpeyFitter Active Member

I got an idea - how about I buy you this boat Freestone, and you give me your Pac 1100 HD?

Freestone likes this.
  12. BDD

BDD Active Member

Home Page:
    Thanks Scott, I appreciate your input.

Funny you mention the footbar frame being separate from the main frame and I noticed the same thing. I told Ken if he does build one for me, I'd want it with two cross bars tying it into the main frame so as to add more rigidity, as you suggested. I think he was trying to keep it as light and compact as possible for this first prototype. The upside to the straps is it is lighter and allows for pretty much unlimited versatility for leg length as it can be moved anywhere you want. However, with the adjustable seat, I'm sure if the two frames were attached as you suggest, that there would be enough play to find a comfortable seating and footing position for any one.

I am positive that there is a rear mesh deck available from Jack's Plastic that could certainly be added, which would be a nice feature to store a dry bag. I just did not order it for the first prototype. But if I were getting it for me, I would certainly want a rear storage deck as it would make floating much more convenient. I'll have to check on availability and cost for the rear mesh deck.

In looking at the picture, you are right in that the frame appears to be too far towards the stern. We hastily strapped it together tonight before it got too dark for the photo opportunity, without considering the proper location (and because there are no D-rings on this particular model). But in hindsight, the whole frame should be moved more towards the center so as to better balance the weight. Moving it forward would also provide more room for the rear mesh deck. The good thing is because there are no D-rings that are used (the straps go around the entire tubes) the frame can be moved anywhere to help balance the boat. We ordered this boat without any D-rings on purpose because we didn't want to be limited as to where it would have to be strapped down. We decided that we could add D-rings later, once we established the proper frame location or simply do without them and run the straps around the entire pontoon as shown.

Again, thanks for your suggestions; you and I had similar thoughts on some of these points.

13. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Flintstone. Always prefer my boats with a hole beneath my feet rather than a floor.

14. BDD

BDD Active Member

Home Page:

Nah, I left it at North Bend but with this nice weather, it might be time to take it out for a test ride soon.

Ed, funny you mention Flintstone as I think that was the first name I mentioned to Freestone when I told her a few months ago. Besides, I was always a fan of Fred Flintstone.

Ed Call likes this.
  15. JesseC

JesseC Active Member

I have no idea why something like this hasn't come out sooner. The "real" frame and oars make so much sense.

Jerry Daschofsky likes this.