New Boat Model-Need Help with a Name!

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by BDD, Jan 15, 2014.

1. SpeyFitter

SpeyFitter Active Member

OK, you have a problem - I really need to know - which boats do you NOT have? LOL

Freestone likes this.
  2. PT

PT Physhicist

How do you slowly kick around and cast to risers or maneuver the boat while still being able to cast and retrieve?

Looks like this boat is supposed to be a crossover, not a dedicated river craft. Rocker on your boats is fine if you want to reduce carrying capacity and stick on the water. They become a dog real quick when you add weight. More rocker on these boats makes balancing them harder, you'll draft deeper, and maneuverability is greatly reduced when loaded down.

Pretty sure BDD knows what he's doing with this boat. They already have a full line of river boats.
    http://www.catchercraft.com/Products___Prices.html

A little info about rockered boats.

3. SpeyFitter

SpeyFitter Active Member

While there are may be a few situations where a pontoon or inflatable craft may be advantageous in certain specific lake fishing situations, an aluminum jon, pram, or punt style boat is still a significantly better lake craft overall for fly fishing small trout lakes. If you've fished out of both, you''ll say the same thing I'm saying.

Now if you had to have one craft to do rivers and lakes for whatever reason (budget, preference, what have you), obviously a pontoon or mini raft is a good compromise craft. But like anything there is no perfect craft to do it all and if you can afford it, it is certainly better to have dedicated river and lake craft - the basis for my comments.

While there is rocker on this boat, the straight portion of the toons is still level on the bottom for a good portion of the overall length so that definitely offers you solid stability and enhanced "tracking", assuming we take the text you posted as gospel, bearing in mind that river currents do not run straight, square, level, or plumb. At the end of the day it's not just rocker versus some or no rocker that determines overall carrying capacity. Diameter of tubes, design of tubes, length of craft, and how the weight is distributed, also determine how the boat handles under load.

4. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

Home Page:
    The royalty (or payoff) would be just giving her one. I'm sure Sue would go with that. ;)

Freestone likes this.
  5. BDD

BDD Active Member

Home Page:
    I doubt she'd even notice it, stacked away in the middle of her pile of other boats.

Freestone likes this.
  6. Jerry Daschofsky

Home Page:
    She's a boat/gear whore like me. Trust me, she'd NOTICE. Funny how you can have mountains of gear, but you know where it all pretty much is and what you'd use it for. LOL. Ask my buddy Paul. Have a ton of trailer and other misc stuff in my shop. Used to laugh at me about being a packrat, until we needed to do a retrofit of his boat trailer and guess who had all his extra lights from his old rebuild in the garage? :)

Freestone likes this.
  7. Jerry Daschofsky

Home Page:
    Hell, let me come too, I'll do the BBQ and help get it put together. :)

Freestone likes this.
  8. Jerry Daschofsky

Home Page:
    Ok, onto boat names. Now, not sure if there's a Trademark infringement here. But what about one of the local rivers like "Yakima" (again, TM for the roof rack company). Or whatever inspired you to make this (if there's a river you were thinking of using it on).

9. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

In memory of...whiskey tango foxtrot...I'm not dead!
    I want to see the frame. I want to try it on my Assault.
    I like the Mumbler, how about the Flintstone Mumbler, Mumbling Freestone?
    Hands free fin kicking control on the move in rivers is a must, power transfer rowing efficiency with the frame is ideal for quick moves and sketchier runs. Sweet combo Dave! I need to get my hands on one.

Freestone likes this.
  10. BDD

BDD Active Member

Home Page:
    I wanted to call our Kamloops model "Metloops"- half Methow, half Kamloops. That ugly, olive drab thing would probably work well on that skinny river. Plus I love it (the Methow that is).

11. BDD

BDD Active Member

Home Page:
    Yeah, poor choice of words on my part...should have been legacy instead, or something of that nature. :)

Ed Call likes this.
  12. PT

PT Physhicist

I have. And, no I won't.

constructeur likes this.
  13. Freestone

Freestone Not to be confused with freestoneangler

Scott, I'm with PT. Every time I fish in a boat with a bottom on a lake, I want to take a chain saw to it so I can stick my fins down and kick. So, I bought a boat that I can row, stand or kick. The zip-out floor section was meant for a motor shaft but I us e it for kicking with fins. And yes, it is yet another boat...

Rivendell raft.jpg

Rivendell floor.jpg

PT likes this.
  14. sportsman

sportsman Active Member

PT, just ignore him or you will discover why you are so wrong on your opinions. Some people have conversations, some just talk at you.

PT likes this.
  15. martyg

martyg Active Member

X2!!! I have started a few companies and brand identities and benefited from large, Fortune 500 companies acquiring assets. My advice with a name... Select a name that you wouldn't want a competitor to use.

With no disrespect to everyone else here - all of the names are total white bread - they'd get lost in the marketplace. As an example:

- Southwest
    - Northwest
    - United
    - Delta
    - Virgin

What name sticks out here? That should be your reality check.

My other piece of advice is that marketing and distributing this sounds like a way to loose a lot of money. Unless you have $50K to play with for launching just don't even go there. Once you launch, quite your day job. Nothing will insure your success like pulling multiple all nighters to make sure your next trade or consumer show is flawless, because if it isn't you will loose everything and in living in a cardboard box.