Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

new build - Steffen fiberglass

Rod Building 
2K views 21 replies 9 participants last post by  Wayne Kohan 
#1 ·
Just finished the 8 foot, 5/6 wt Steffen finally. Been working off and on for the past 3-4 months. Used cigar cork grip with downlocking Bellinger NS with rosewood insert, agate stripping guide, H&H chrome snake guides. Guidebrod chestnut wraps with Prowrap sunset trim band. Interesting to wrap on this blank, it still has the ridges in the top coat, so packing the wraps is done with more care, harder to write on too.

wayne

Wood Writing implement Office supplies Tool Wind instrument
Wood Line Tints and shades Publication Electric blue
Bicycle fork Bicycle handlebar Water Bicycle part Bicycle tire
Wood Line Tints and shades Publication Electric blue
Bicycle fork Bicycle handlebar Water Bicycle part Bicycle tire

See less See more
#4 ·
Nice Wayne. I just built the 8' 4/5wt and I am blown away by the versatility of the rod. You can blast out a streamer with it or a big Chernobyl or small PMD. First rod I have felt that excelled at all three.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike, are using a 4 or 5 wt line with it? I haven't fished with mine yet, I did put on a 5 wt Rio Gold and had no trouble casting the whole head, but it felt a little light. Might try a 6 wt, but thinking the 5 is going to be perfect.

Wayne

#9 ·
Used the rod today for the first time on the north fork Boise today. Nice action, used Rio Gold 5 wt line with a dry-dropper combo and was casting it a country mile. Sweet blank, highly recommend it.

Wayne

#11 ·
I ended up with the 5/6, 8'6" rod. I love the rod and got a great buy on it used, but if I were starting from scratch I believe I'd prefer the 8' blank. The 8'6" isn't tippy at all, but it's a little heavy after a few hours of casting.

Wayne's comment about "casting a country mile" is unexplainable to me, but it's true. I don't really think I've found a distance limit yet with that rod. It should not be hard to cast the flyline. I use a #6 Rio Grand, half weight over floater, which in my hands is the perfect line. I also frequently use a Type IV 6wt. sinker and it does well with that too. This weekend I'll be chasing trout over shad in a large impoundment, and will be using the Steffen again. I cannot imagine a finer casting and fishing rod at any price.

#13 ·
Steve, I was set to buy a blank, but then talked to Mark Steffen, and told him my intended use was on lakes with occasional larger flies. He balked, and said that blank is a finesse rod and intended for stream fishing with dries or a small nymph, and would not cast larger flies or junk well. Those that have the rod love it, but just know what it's built for.

#15 ·
Now that the scales seem to be tipping toward a purchase, does anyone have a preference on the 3 vs. 4 piece version of the 8ft 3/4? More ferrules often means stiffer, but the Steffen web site argues that there's no difference with their spigot ferrules.

Also - Wayne - Sorry to hijack your thread. But that beautiful build got me energized around this project.

#17 ·
Steve I have a 1wt Superfine too. The Steffen 3/4 would be a perfect compliment to it. I have a 3 piece Steffen and it's kind of awkward per Waynes comment. 4 pc travels well and is easier to break down. Talk to Mark Steffen first though. He's really helpful. He might even have you look at the 2/3.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.