Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

New Camera

2K views 16 replies 13 participants last post by  Connor Parrish 
#1 ·
We've been looking at waterproof cameras and finally pulled the trigger on the olympus 830sw. Totally waterproof up to 10 ft. Haven't used it a ton yet, but here's a picture I took with it

#7 ·
Yeah the 1030sw is the one that's waterproof to 30 ft, 10mp, can take continous video (with a driver upgrade), shock proof, freezeproof, etc. Good for those that are rough on their cameras. It is about twice as expensive. I'm fairly careful with my cameras, so we decided that the less expensive model was the one we wanted.

#5 ·
well if it's the camera that is at costco, not sure if it's an 830 or not, but an Olympus, it's 279.00. This is the 8.(something) MP, waterproof to ten feet. Mistakenly I bought the Casio exlim (sp) at 229.00, thinking it has more MP (10.something), bigger screen and is slimmer.....but i'm taking it back, I bought it last week and it's shots are OK, but I wasn't overly impressed......
Since Costco won't let you try them out....becuase they won't charge them, I have no problem trying them and taking them back.
I'm getting off track here.....the waterproof portion of the camera is a big component and I think I'm headed back to try that one.
Buck.

I'd be curious what you paid and where, how many MP, that sort of thing.

#8 ·
I bought the Olympus 830 as well. Great shots, lots of photo settings for underwater and I think the overall picture quality is pretty good. Overall, very happy with this camera. The other similar models are equally as good and I think they have a 700 model that goes deeper, but I don't plan on diving with it.
The biggest advantage I see with this model vs. other models is its capability of using more than one type of storage disk - I use mini SD with mine, but some Olympus models use only an xD which isn't widely supported yet.

The Costco price is pretty darn good - you can find it for less over the web, but shipping many times reduces any kind of savings you would have got going that route. And it allows you less recourse should something go wrong or you don't like it. I'm not advocating Costco, just saying what the disadvantages are of buying over the web.

Olympus does have a warranty though, but from what I've heard, the most important thing you could possibly care about in a waterproof camera - (its effectiveness to be waterproof and not fry itself or allow water into its lens) - is not covered! I've never had to return any electronics to Costco or another store for that matter, but buying from a brick and mortar store for this reason might be the best option.

#11 ·
That picture looks great!! I just bought the Olympus stylus 770 and it takes great pics as well. water proof to 30 feet. crush proof freeze proof. i haven't used it much but so far it has been fun. only thing is i wish they floated!! always a little scared using it in the lake even with the wrist strap! I wish i had a water proof camera earlier! :thumb:

#12 ·
A few months ago I saw a camera at best buy advertised as "waterproof/crushproof" It looked like a real durable camera and a nice price tag somewhere between 250-300. I think it was a cannon but I can't remember what it was. Anybody know what I'm talking about?

Steven

#15 ·
I can't leave for fishing trips without my Olympus. Mine came with the floating strap and silicone cover from Costco. With a small caribiner, I attach the floating strap to a zinger on my person and am able to take underwater shots without worrying about losing the camera in the drink. I've had the camera for awhile and have dropped it, spilled coffee on it and it keeps working like a charm.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.