New Drift Boat - terrible oarsman - advice

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by RubberLegs123, Feb 7, 2014.

1. orangeradish

orangeradish Eyes to the sky...

Pretty much what everyone else said. A positive attitude, a cold 6pack,and some sandwiches go a looooooooong way in getting folks around here to offer advice/wisdom. This place is a gold mine of great people willing to help out a decent person. Next free weekend post an open seat thread with the expectation of the person taking you up on it showing you around on the oars. If I was free, I'd take you up on it, and I bet I wouldn't be the only one. Just remember, videos are ok, but the only way to get experienced is experience.

Good luck!
    Jason

Bill Aubrey and RubberLegs123 like this.
  2. Don Freeman

Don Freeman Free Man

Like Citori posted; get lots of time on the oars. You want it to be second nature every time you make a stroke. I advise folks to build up muscle memory (and the right muscle groups) by rowing every chance you get. If there's lake nearby, go do a few laps every chance you get. Practice pulling, pushing, feathering, doing stops, spins and travel strokes. You'll find out if you need to adjust the seat to your size, move the stops to your taste, and whether or not you want 'oar rights'.

Build up your rowing strength and stamina, so when you get to your first set of class III's and IV's, the boat will go where you want without thinking about it.

Bill Aubrey and RubberLegs123 like this.
  3. RubberLegs123

RubberLegs123 New Member

Wow. This site is a great resource. Thank You to everyone for your input, tips and advice. Citori, thanks for the videos and sage advice. Orangeradish, great idea on posting an open seat thread and I can make a mean sandwich!

I can't wait for some better weather, I'll be out in that boat either practicing on lakes, easy rivers or with one of you fine forum members.

Not one bad piece of advice offered. Thanks All. See you out there.

-Chip

4. Citori

Citori Piscatorial Engineer

Need to practice in flowing water to understand what it takes to make the boat move. Lakes/ponds are OK, but if you want to learn how to row in a river, you have to row in a river. The side of the chine is basically a rudder, and rudders don't work without water pushing on them.

Bill Aubrey likes this.
  5. Dan Reynolds

Dan Reynolds Member

Don't get too good at rowing... You might get stuck there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trustfunder likes this.
  6. kvannice

kvannice Member

i felt the same way with my first drift in a drift boat after the first run i think i did well but yes very keystone copish here too btw i was ten years for me to get the boss to say yes to my boat i would like to take classes also but time on the water works too floating with some one in the back seat telling me left oar, right oar, point this way, that way helped me alot also point too danger does not seam like a good idea but that is what you have to do.Also never stop rowing!!!!

RubberLegs123 likes this.
  7. Itchy Dog

Itchy Dog Some call me Kirk Werner

Home Page:
    Bill Aubrey likes this.
  8. Cougar Zeke

Cougar Zeke Active Member

Rubberlegs- Same situation here. I just bought a new Clack SD and now I need to figure out how to use the thing.

The DVD that Clack gave me was helpful, but oar time is what I need now. Gonna take it slow for a long time. Yakima here I come.

I've had a couple of really nice offers of assistance that I will surely put to good use when the water gets warmer.

In the mean time- keep the mossy side down!

9. PT

PT Physhicist

Chip?

10. RubberLegs123

RubberLegs123 New Member

11. RubberLegs123

RubberLegs123 New Member

Cougar Zeke: Looks like 43 to 46 Sunday and no rain... might be my second chance to get out there!

12. RubberLegs123

RubberLegs123 New Member

Thanks. Have the Clacka DVD's. They did me well too on the.maiden voyage.

13. Bill Aubrey

Bill Aubrey Active Member

LeMoyne Hyde has updated his video. It is excellent and available from Hyde Drift Boats online. Remember, face your danger and row away from it, and pulling over to scout ahead is never a bad idea.

14. David Bowerman

David Bowerman Member

Home Page:
    Hire a guy from Red's. I bought my dad a lesson and it was money well spent.

15. PT

PT Physhicist

Yup. I talked to Rick and we should get out. Sunday might be do-able if you're interested.