New generation sinking lines

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by troutpocket, Jul 12, 2011.

1. troutpocket

troutpocket Active Member

2. Islander

Islander Steve

I need all the help I can get!! I'm hoping for an extended Fall trip. So I'll be spending a few days at Blue for sure.

3. JMitchell

JMitchell Active Member

Which sink rate on the hover did you buy? I'm assuming the 1.0 ips. Before you mentioned this, I had never heard of it. I really am a fan of the clear camo, but it does not do well in cooler weather as you say.

jarron

4. troutpocket

Yes, the 1.0 ips sink rate. Color is glacial . . .kind of a blue/grey.

5. Nick Clayton

Nick Clayton Active Member

Great info. Thanks for sharing.

Curious, what issue do you find with the clear lines in the colder temps? I picked up a Rio clear 5 wt intermediate a couple months ago to use in the local lakes. I find that it casts EXTREMELY well on my Z Axis 590, but I have yet to take it out in any cold temps. The fly shop that sold it to me went on and on about the technology and how it doesn't stand out in the water and etc... but basically I was just in search of an all around intermediate line and went with it. The technology and all that was interesting, but all I really care about is that it casts like a dream and presents my fly well.

Nick

6. troutpocket

Air temps near or below freezing + water temps below 45 = serious line memory issues in clear lines.

In my experience, the Aqualux performs the best at cold temps among the clear lines. However, as others have mentioned, it's not an intermediate line and sinks too fast for most of the fishing I do. I always pack a spare intermediate for friends to use when they find out their Aqualux or SA Stillwater line is useless in the shallows.

7. excaliber

excaliber New Member

Troutpocket We fish those Cortland Camo lines here in Idaho at those same areas you talk about. Last year we were there on some of the last fishable days of the year and that Camo line worked really well for us.

Temps were around 30, blowing wind/snow and cold water. We have only been flyfishing a few years so I can't say anything about other Int. lines. The Cortland line is recommended by most of the guides and most people I know who fish the area use it too.

If something works better I'd be up for trying it.

8. Ed Call

Ed Call Uber Trill Moderator Staff Member

I stretch my clear camo in the winter by holding it around the back of my shoulders and then rolling my shoulders and hands forward to get a good long stretch. I'll be interested in trying some of the other options, but so far the clear camo has worked well enough for me. I think troutpocket's explanation is right on and I'll be more in tune to look for shortcomings I've not yet noticed.

9. Brian Thomas

Brian Thomas Active Member

I don`t have issue with the clear lines coiling in cold weather , as much as I do with their sinking faster than I`d like them to . Every one I`ve owned had sink rate of at least a type 2 equivalent , which is fine if that`s what you want , but I prefer my intermediate lines to have a slower sink rate .

10. Irafly

Irafly Indi "Ira" Jones

And another reason why I like to fish with troutpocket. Although I still out cast him with my old, ratty, broke in the middle and spliced back together clear stillwater line :) Imagine what I could do with a new line.

Ira..

11. Starman77

Starman77 Active Member

Interesting to hear what others like or don't like about various lines. I tried the Cortland Camo some years ago and didn't like it. I've since used the RIO Aqualux line and really like it even in very cold weather. I like it that it sinks quicker than some other clear intermediate lines because I like casting and stripping flies and the RIO Aqualux line seems designed for that kind of fishing. I do overweight the rod (using a 6 weight RIO Aqualux line with a 5 weight rod) as it seems to cast better for me that way. For deep water (meaning deeper than 10' and down to 40') casting and stripping I use the RIO Deep 7 line and really like it, except that the line coating seems to crack easily and I have to replace the line about every year. I also use the RIO Deep 7 for the full sinking line method of deep water chironomiding; I have written RIO to suggest that they mark the line at 5 foot increments to help deep water chironomid fishermen, but never got a response.

Rex

Rex

12. troutpocket

So true, Ira. When was the last time you spooled up a new line on one of your lake setups?

13. the central oregonian

the central oregonian Member

I was looking on the Rio website and it appears that the line your talking about is a shooting head tip line correct??? Not a full intermediate sink line?? Just wanting to make sure that i am looking at the right thing.

Personally i am a big fan of the camolux and aqualux fly lines for clear intermediate lines. And i fish a clear intermediate probably 60% or more of the time when fishing stillwaters, which i do alot.

14. Irafly

Irafly Indi "Ira" Jones

I honestly can't remember but it is well past time. The line I use on my GLX 4 weight was so cracked and brittle that I finally just broke it in half myself so that I'd do something about it.

I'm not too worried about my floaters though, because my indicator usually sinks before the line does ;)

Ira..

15. troutpocket

Correct. But keep in mind the intermediate head is almost 40' long. The running line does float but it's small diameter can't keep it on the surface once the head starts to sink. If you keep your rod tip submerged while you work your fly, the running line doesn't get a chance to float. If anything it helps keep the head just under the surface, hence the name "hover".

I have a Rio Aqualux on one of my 6wt spools that I use when I want to fish in the 8-15' depth range. I just don't do that a whole lot.